A Long Weekend in New York City

HutchFan

Tomorrow, my wife and I are flying up to NYC.  We're celebrating my 50th birthday with some good food and jazz.  My wife gets to choose the restaurants (since she's the foodie), and I pick the music!  

On Friday night, we're planning to see Billy Hart's Quartet at Jazz Standard. 

On Saturday, I think we'll go see Jacob Sacks' Quintet at Cornelia Street Cafe. I'm not super-familiar with Sacks, but his band features some outstanding musicians -- Ellery Eskelin, Tony Malaby, Michael Formanek & Dan Weiss.  (I just heard Weiss in-person for the first time last week -- with Miguel Zenon's band here at the Ferst Center in Atlanta. The guy is AMAZING.)  I'll probably also try to see Joe Lovano's Us Five late set at Birdland.

On Sunday night, I'm looking at either Arturo O'Farrill's Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra (at Birdland) and/or Sylvie Courvoisier's Trio with Drew Gress and Kenny Wollesen (at the Stone). 

It's truly amazing how much music's happening in NYC on any given weekend.  BTW: If anyone thinks I'm missing something really special that's happening this weekend, gimme a shout. I'm open to suggestions from others who are "in the know." 

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.  I'm really looking forward to a weekend jam-packed with MUSIC!!!  :) 

Edited by HutchFan

36 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Why not check out Michael Weiss at Mezzrow? It's his birthday too and he will be playing at this wonderful club in the Village. Two sets Friday and Saturday. 

https://www.mezzrow.com/

I didn't realize Weiss was playing.  When I checked Mezzrow's site a few weeks ago, another artist was slated to perform.  Thanks for the heads-up. 

My wife & I had a great time in NYC.  I caught most of the shows described in my original post.  I also heard Joel Ross' Parables -- a bunch of young, up-and-coming jazzers -- at the Jazz Gallery.

The band that knocked me out the most?  Jacob Sacks' Quintet at Cornelia Street Cafe.  Gorgeous, spontaneous, fun music. As I mentioned in my original post, I wasn't all that familiar with Sacks, but he really impressed me a ton -- both his playing and his compositions.  I'm going to have to track down some of his recordings, although I don't think the particular line-up that I saw has released any.

Billy Hart's band was also wonderful -- subtle and Monkishly oblique. Joe Lovano's Us Five and Arturo O'Farrill's Big Band were great too.

Hell, it was ALL good.

I only wish I could've stayed longer and heard more. ;)  

SKM_JazzStandard.jpg

Edited by HutchFan