The Horace Silver Quintet on the BBC 1966

Hardbopjazz

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Link has the line-up; is this reliable? OMG!

-  Made-for-TV series.
-  Feature film (over 60 minutes).
-  1. "Senor blues", "Nutville", "Pretty eyes", "Song for my father" by Horace Silver. 2. "Senor blues", "Cape Verdean blues", "Filthy McNasty" by Horace Silver; "Aurelia blue" by Larry Ridley. (Songs)
-  Introduced by Humphrey Lyttelton:- Woody Shaw, trumpet; Tyrone Washington, sax; Horace Silver, piano; Larry Ridley, acoustic double bass; Roger Humphries, drums. (Personnel on Camera)
-  Both programmes recorded on 11th October 1966 at the Chelsea College of Science and Technology, London.

Tyrone and Woody, on video, for a whole hour-long program??!!! :excited:

Very interesting. Other than that Stan Getz film, I had assumed that no other copies of ‘Jazz Goes To College’ was still in existence, thanks to the BBC wiping all of those tapes (apparently there is also a Tubby Hayes Big Band preserved as a tele-recording).  A list of the lost shows gives two Silver Quintet broadcasts - one in 1966 and the other in 1967. Perhaps that was separate 30 minute broadcasts from the same (60 min) show - seems logical.

Some amazing stuff on that ‘lost’ list. Rollins/Roach, Herman Big Band, Ronnie Ross Big Band, Stan Tracey ‘Under Milk Wood’. 

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

I was at that show.  Unfortunately no useful memories.

:eye: !!

Edited by sidewinder

14 hours ago, bertrand said:

I guess it can be viewed at LC, though that involves some hoops.

Needs to be commercialized, probably will never happen.

yea its hard to get in there i bet- do u need to 'plead your case' to them?  

would it be easier to view if it was at like ucla film archives

oh and my main question: why is a BBC tape in America anyway, was it shown in US or somethin? i dont get it dog why isnt this happening but in bbc archives in england

Rooster or I can contact them and see if they have it through the ask a librarian feature.

I have viewed things there before. They had a BBC South Bank Show on Blue Note. Interviewees included Lion, RVG, Reid Miles, Horace, Wayne and McCoy.

McCoy plays a brief piano piece, maybe the only footage of someone playing at the RVG studios.

You have to view all this from the context of the time I guess. Videotape was a valuable resource, re-use was routine and there wasn’t the perception that these programmes were of historical importance at the time.

It wasn’t only jazz or the BBC at the time that was affected. I remember a great kids pop show in my youth on ITV called ‘Lift Off’ which had important early performances by Bowie, Wizard, Bolan and the like.  A veritable treasure trove. All 140 or so episodes were wiped.

5 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh and my main question: why is a BBC tape in America anyway, was it shown in US or somethin? i dont get it dog why isnt this happening but in bbc archives in england

They used to release copies of some of the series internationally - more usual to Commonwealth nations, which is why some good archive stuff has appeared in Australia. More unusual to the US though.