Dexter Blows Hot & Cool: which of these issues is earlier?

Thanks Chuck- just got mine today, finally.  The original Doostie run label went longer than i reailsed- here i am looking at a may 1980 advert in Ebony for Dooto. 

dog im reading about doot he went to a MLK speech to bootleg it, the MLK people asked him  why he was taping and he said "for the church" then the album came out and they were upset an sued dooto

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

8 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

First one. I even had a '70s reprint with the red ink.

This is misleading (as the "earlier" in the thread title might too easily be understood to mean original pressing).The "first one" is not an original either. Far from it. It is earlier than the other one but considering the multitude of repressings this is all relative. In doo-wop circles (where the Dootone label is a HUGE one) it has been claimed long ago that "Dooto" were later repressings and "Dootone" was the real thing in the heyday of the label. The dark red/maroon labels were reused later on for reissues but they had been around on originals as well so the red label does not necessarily equate reissue. IMO it is not the label that gives it away (one would have to look closer at the label details) but the "Authentic Records" logo on the lower right that indicates a later-day reissue. But not all the reissues had the logo,

Also see here:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/dootone/dootone.html

Which indicates this "first one" must be from the 60s. So it is a repressing too, and certainly not even a "first repressing". A bit away from the original pressings at any rate. And even from the few older Dootones I have seen, what they say about label dating not being an exact science here is putting it mildly ... ;)

What's also baffling is that both reissues use a catalog number with an AUL prefix that according ot the site below indicates an "Authentic" subsidiary label reissue:

http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/dootone/authentic.html

So how come a 60s Dooto three-color label is matched with an "Authentic" cover?

Another case of attempts at identifiying details of this label not being exact science ...?

The discussion at the end of this one (below) might also shed some light on the reiterations of this record:

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/dexter-blows-smoke/

Edited by Big Beat Steve