Freddie Hubbard: 5 New Japanese Blue Note SHM-CDs

Late

Five new SHM-CDs. None of these titles, to the best of my recollection, have been reissued as SHM-CDs in Japan. I'm especially excited about Hub-Cap and Blue Spirits. The latter will have seven tracks, which means it will include the fabulous "Melting Pot" track, not found on the TOCJ Blue Note Works issue. Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Reggie Workman, and Elvin Jones. (And the stealth sixth man Hosea Taylor on alto saxophone, though only in ensemble.) I hope these SHM-CDs sound as good as the 75th anniversary titles.

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Any other non-Hubbard titles coming out around that same time?  In other words, what else is in the pipeline?

Especially interested in any titles that have any previously unreleased material (like "Out To Lunch" and "Unity" had, among others).

Only the Hubbard CD's mentioned before ....

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Where did you find that info Laton?

It's now up on the CDJapan site.

When you click on one of the titles and then scroll down to the song tracks, it will say (for example) "Remastered/2003 Rudy Van Gelder Edition." Goin' Up and the live disc are exceptions, however.

Okay, thanks. Weird, as when they were reissuing RVGs as SHM-CD they clearly stated that everywhere else. The live disc of course never was an RVG Edition. I'm going to keep my order in place. . . I don't mind the RVGs of these to be honest. We'll see what I get.

I have them both but bought the Mini-Lp-format Japanese BN, many years ago. Wonderful albums like all of Freddie´s albums.....

I noticed that Blue Spirits as a very very strange amplified sound of the bass. It sounds almost like a boosting synti bass. But still enjoyful to hear, even if I doubt it was the original sound. Strange thing on two of those reissues then. Two of them have that strange bass sound: Blue Spirits, and Dizzy Reece "Sounding off" . I haven´t noticed that on other items and I have dozens of them......

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2018 at 10:54 PM, Late said:

Bummer! These are RVG remasters. Just cancelled my order.

Well, now CD Japan has pulled the RVG description from the song titles. Never seen that happen before. Maybe these aren't RVGs ... ? :wacko: I'd have to re-order if that's the case. :D