White Leaders on Blue Note

Mark Stryker

25 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Seems like Bill Evans and Jim Hall were on the label, or somehow had a few things reissued on Blue Note. 

That was a CD reissue of a UA album.

Kenny Cox in the Liberty era (and don't sleep on those two albums).

Barbara Carroll, Robbie Krieger (of the Doors), and Dom Minasi in the bleak 70's UA era.

Edited by felser

Isn't the whole thing moot?  So many people are bi-racial, or some kind of mix in differing percentages.  People achieve different looks.  At one time quite a few thought Jarrett was African-American, but after his early period it's clear he's about as white as can be.

How different was it in the 1960s, other than perception?

Well, I wasn't there but from all I heard about the US of the 1950s and 1960s, it did make a difference for the artists (and for most people actually) whether they were perceived as Black, White, etc. And this suffices to make the question valid. Don't really know about the US today... of course, things have changed, but I still think that most Americans would understand something like this:

"If you look at the cover of the first Kenny Cox album you see four black guys and one white guy - Drummer Danny Spencer. From the way Spencer is standing in the picture, it is easy to mistake him for the leader and this probably lead felser to the wrong conclusion of Cox being white."

Regarding white people contributing to the Blue Note Sound: no this cannot be the question because there were white sidemen like Pepper Adams who contributed a lot...