Sonny Rollins Unable to Play--Did Everyone Else Know This?

Hot Ptah

It is very sad to hear he has hung up his horn.  I'm not terribly surprised, as I thought he had retired, though it really is a shame it is due to heath conditions.  I'm glad I got to see him as often as I did -- I think four, maybe five times.

FWIW, I thought this was a solid interview with some interesting insights into Rollins' mindset.

Do you know about this movement to get the Williamsburg Bridge renamed after you?
I’m aware of it.

How do you feel about that?
Well, when I first began going up there, I found a spot on the bridge where I was unseen. Nobody riding on the subway could see me, and nobody driving in cars could see me. The boats down below couldn’t really see me either; I was hidden by the abutments from the bridge. I’m very flattered and appreciative, but I find the idea to want to name a place where I was trying to hide after me to be a bit funny.

^_^

I saw Sonny at the Detroit Jazz Fest the fall before he retired, I believe, and I had front-row tickets for a concert he had to cancel due to his health issues.  I'm glad that I got to see him perform three times and that he is still with us and engaging with people.  If Sonny were to go on a speaking tour, to promote an autobiography or to just speak, it'd be a must-attend event.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Do you know about this movement to get the Williamsburg Bridge renamed after you?
I’m aware of it.

How do you feel about that?
Well, when I first began going up there, I found a spot on the bridge where I was unseen. Nobody riding on the subway could see me, and nobody driving in cars could see me. The boats down below couldn’t really see me either; I was hidden by the abutments from the bridge. I’m very flattered and appreciative, but I find the idea to want to name a place where I was trying to hide after me to be a bit funny.

^_^

Spoken with truth, humility, and humor.

Also, now that he has some extra time, I'd like him to become a board member here.  I'd love to read his posts on threads like "So, What Are You Listening To NOW?", "Which Jazz box set are you grooving to right now?", "Which Mosaic Are You Enjoying Right Now?", "Sets you wish Mosaic would do", "Best track you heard all week", "Songs You don't want requested", "Duke Ellington - Post 1960 Recordings", and, of course, his thoughts on the latest Blindfold Test!