Favorite Mosaic Selects?

Oddly I probably play the Duke Pearson most often but I'd put the Andrew Hill as the most significant release in the series. Pendulum was the one that surprised me the most. I guess I'd an uniformed view that Liebman wasn't too great and wasn't expecting the set to be as good as it is. Since getting and digging the Pendulum set he has risen massively in my estimation. My error not his. 

Akiyoshi/Tabackin, because Mosaic sent it to me in error and told me to keep it with their compliments, and also because I figured what the fuck, it's free and it's here, let's listen to it, and believe it or not, I gained a better ear for that music by doing so.

But you know, the Moncur, that'sthe shit, that one is. As powerful a cogent a picture of a voice as a full-sized set, but with only threee CD.

I also like how they put out all/as much Andrew Hill as they could to get him some bread before he passed. The one with the small groups, that's majestically psychedelic, all the places that music goes, almost goes, and sometimes just tries to go.

I still think there's math to be done that makes that series viable. Not saying that the equation was wrong, just that maybe a different equation could be constructed, one with different and/or rearranged variables.

#1 Andrew Hill (Blue Note)

both Tollivers

Sam Rivers

Zeitlin

Carmell

I thInk I own about 15 other Selects, but those above get the most spins for me.

BTW, here's a good list of the entire series (I think this is complete, or damn close).

https://ehsankhoshbakht.blogspot.com/2010/04/discography-of-mosaic-select.html?m=1

Just wanted to say how phenomenal the San Rivers Florida Big Band set is.  Those recordings, plus the single disc Aurora from 2006 (same band), all work WAY better for me than either of his two late 90's 'all-star' big band albums (the ones on RCA from France, iirc).

His Florida big band was just killing, and I'm SO glad there's four hours of their exploits that got documented officially, with legit releases.  They sound like if Arnold Schoenberg had led a big band, with James Brown's rhythm section.

That shit's deep!! :bwallace:

13 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Just wanted to say how phenomenal the San Rivers Florida Big Band set is.  Those recordings, plus the single disc Aurora from 2006 (same band), all work WAY better for me than either of his two late 90's 'all-star' big band albums (the ones on RCA from France, iirc).

His Florida big band was just killing, and I'm SO glad there's four hours of their exploits that got documented officially, with legit releases.  They sound like if Arnold Schoenberg had led a big band, with James Brown's rhythm section.

That shit's deep!! :bwallace:

That's the one I regret missing the most

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

That's the one I regret missing the most

I least get Aurora (2006), if you haven't already.  It's pretty easy to find, is still on CDBaby too (brand new), or Amazon.  I've even seen a couple used copies in the last few years.  It's every bit as good as the Select.