Help Finding a Recent-ish Album

Teasing the Korean

I remember reading about an album that came out in the last few years.  It may have been on Blue Note, but I can't remember the artist.  It was described as kind of an homage to postwar late night, jazz with strings, mood music kind of albums.  It had an orchestra.  

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

This album was very hyped when it was released a few years a go, and IIRC it was fairly divisive.  I think there was discussion about it here.  The artist was self-consciously making a throwback mood-music album.  The arrangements, though, were very interesting.  There were YouTube clips. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Isn't this Robert Glasper?

Thanks, your link isn't working for me, but that doesn't seem to be the guy.  There was nothing contemporary about the album.  It was 100% throwback to mood music albums.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

How about Gregory Porter tribute to Nat? Has strings but was only last year however.

https://www.amazon.com/Nat-King-Cole--Me/dp/B0753DBSFH?tag=capitrecor-20&ie=UTF8&linkCode=as2&ascsubtag=3a6c9cd1b78d00a904e736237b69f21a

Or you can go to this page:

http://www.bluenote.com/timeline

Chose the "present" as time frame, and use the slider to flip thru every BN cover in chronological order.

Thanks all.  Not Bill Frisell - he is too well known.  And not Gregory Porter.  This was not a vocal album.   Can't remember the arranger.

The album I'm referring to was not simply a tribute to someone or guy playing standards.  It was a large-scale, big-budget, cinematic experience, like something Hal Wilner would have produced.  There were some standards but some unusual things too.

Now I'm wondering if it was not on Blue Note, but rather another classic jazz label.  But how many of those are in existence?   Is there such a thing as Verve anymore?

I think this album came out in late 2015 or maybe 2016.  

Thanks all again.  There can't be too many albums in the category I'm describing, so I'm sure we will find it.

On February 22, 2018 at 7:29 PM, kh1958 said:

That music is being performed  at the Big Ears Festival in Knoxville,  Tennessee, on  March  22, that is, News Cline: Lovers with the  Knoxville Jazz  Orchestra and guests. 

Interesting.  I wonder if there is anyone on the board who is planning to attend.