VERVE: The Sound of America.

I got a copy at the Frankfurt book fair when it was published - there is an error on the two pages dedicated to Cal Tjader: They repeated the discographical recommendations for Gary McFarland! :rolleyes:

p.s. I must correct myself: it was the Astrud Gilberto key recordings they printed on the Tjader page.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 2:48 PM, brownie said:

Excellent book on a great label with lots of well documented pages.

Note: had not noticed the Tjader/McFarland goof (a rather  minor one except for Tjader followers ☺)

Same here ... but yes, it's a wonderful book indeed, and most helpful (I've got the Blue Note one, too, eventually, but it's still sealed I think, after 2-3 years ... rarely happens, usually I open everything right away ... but then we all know so much about BN, and comparatively so little about Granz and all his activities. That's what makes the book so interesting, I guess: it starts out early, with his concerts in LA (those jam sessions where Nat Cole and Lester and Lee Young would appear), then JATP, then his releases on Mercury, the start of Norgran/Clef, the evolvement into Verve, the big JATP and later package tours (that still ran under the JATP moniker) ... excellent documentation, and lots of photos and stuff (flyers, posters etc.)

4 hours ago, Brad said:

There are a few copies on eBay. 

ABEBooks is always a good place to check.  I usually can do better there than on Amazon or Ebay for anything other than recently published high-volume books (where no one can touch Amazon for best price).

• 7 months later...