MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great start by David Price for the Red Sox yesterday—if he can stay healthy and Porcello returns to 2016 form, Boston will have a hell of a Big Three for their rotation. Happy to see Tanaka continue his historical domination of the Jays, and the Yankees’ infield (Gregorius, Brandon Drury, Tyler Wade) carry the offense last night. 

Edited by ghost of miles

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Here's how I will always remember Ed Charles. purple, gold, and green.

s-l640.jpg

If you were a kid in NY in 1969, you'd remember him like this (blue, orange, and white):

166190.jpg

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Great start by David Price for the Red Sox yesterday—if he can stay healthy and Porcello returns to 2016 form, Boston will have a hell of a Big Three for their rotation. Happy to see Tanaka continue his historical domination of the Jays, and the Yankees’ infield (Gregorius, Brandon Drury, Tyler Wade) carry the offense last night. 

Yes, but the Red Sox loss on opening day (wasting a nifty 6-inning, 1-hit effort by Chris Sale) when the bullpen imploded (you need to take Joe Kelly out sooner if he doesn't have his control) was ugly.  

Edited by jazztrain

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Now, that’s the way the Glider should look!

The Mets announcers were saying today that the Rays have gone to a 4 man rotation. Every fifth game will be a bullpen game. Something new. 

I guess that's what you need to do when you keep trading away your best starters!

Good Lord, the Yankees started spring training with a plethora of outfielders, but they're dropping like flies--Hicks, Ellsbury and Clint Frazier all on the DL, and now Billy McKinney, who was called up after Hicks' injury, just had to be removed from today's game with the Jays after crashing into the outfield wall.  :wacko:  Boone had given Brett Gardner the day off so that he wouldn't be playing four days in a row on turf, but he's in now, playing left--Judge still in center, Stanton in right. 

Edited by ghost of miles

This throw by Gary Sanchez is ridiculous! Betances is notoriously easy to steal off of, Granderson’s still speedy and gets a great jump, and then...

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-1901049083

EDIT:  But what a freakin' disastrous outing for Dellin Betances.  Gives up his second home run of the year, and the Jays steal FOUR bases off him in the 8th, including home.  I'm not sure why Boone left him in to pitch the 8th, given that he's been mostly a one-inning reliever for the past couple of years... I know Warren's injury (talk about ridiculous in a bad way--NY's losing 1-2 players every day, it seems) screwed up the probable bullpen plan, but I was still surprised that they brought Betances back out for the 8th, especially since they'd already been warming Chad Green.  

Edited by ghost of miles

A really nice profile of Giancarlo Stanton in today’s NY Times:

How Stanton went from “Mike” to Giancarlo

He’s impressed me all around through his first four games with the Yankees—not just his hitting, but his on-field demeanor and smarts. He also already seems well-liked and at home with his teammates.

Snow in the forecast for today’s opener at Yankee Stadium. The offense better hope they score a bushel of runs against the Rays’ “bullpen rotation day” pitchers before handing it over to their own pen if they want to win. 

Nice first start by Shohei Ohtani for the Angels:

Ohtani provides a taste of why the hype was legit

Edited by ghost of miles

This weather is absurd.  We must have received five inches and it may snow later this week. We started to do spring cleanup this weekend, which is now on hold.  

The weather reminds me of the weather we had this past October and November where it was unusually warm. It took a long time for winter to come and it may take a long time for Spring to come. 

Get ready for FB only games. The first one is tomorrow, Phillies vs Mets.  Wonderful. 

Remaining schedule (so far) (all times ET):
• Wednesday, April 11: MIL-STL, 1:15 p.m.
• Wednesday, April 18: KC-TOR, 4:07 p.m.
• Thursday, April 26: ARI-PHI, 1:05 p.m.
• Thursday, May 3: LAD-ARI, 3:40 p.m. 
• Thursday, May 10: SF-PHI, 1:05 p.m. 
• Wednesday, May 16: TEX-SEA, 3:40 p.m. 
• Thursday, May 24: LAA-TOR, 12:37 p.m. 
• Wednesday, May 30: STL-MIL, 1:10 p.m. 

Correct.  They’re not broadcasting the game tomorrow on SNY (the Mets station) or WPIX, which broadcasts some games. Mets fans are not too happy. One game is not going to bother too many people but one becomes two, two becomes four, etc.