MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Shohei Ohtani seems to be putting his spring-training struggles behind him. Excellent first pitching start over the weekend, and then a 3-4 performance at the plate last night in his home-field debut as DH, including a home run in his first at-bat:

Ohtani debuts at home with a home run

I think that’s why we should never make too much of spring training. My son, who is an Angels fan, was pushing to have him sent down but I counseled patience. 

On 4/3/2018 at 5:01 PM, JSngry said:

geez, i've never had a facebook account and hopefully never will, why are they doing baseball games, for the russians, right, i don't see any RED soc games on there, fake sports, i'll bet.

Twitter has also shown live sports.  They, like Facebook, are interested in the eyeballs on their sites.  It's really no different than watching ESPN channels online, as a consumer.  Actually it's better, in the sense that it costs you nothing, unlike watching ESPN online.  Other than having a FB or Twitter account, but nothing as far as a monthly fee, like ESPN (which you get when you have ESPN through your cable/satellite provider etc).

1 hour ago, Aggie87 said:

Twitter has also shown live sports.  They, like Facebook, are interested in the eyeballs on their sites.  It's really no different than watching ESPN channels online, as a consumer.  Actually it's better, in the sense that it costs you nothing, unlike watching ESPN online.  Other than having a FB or Twitter account, but nothing as far as a monthly fee, like ESPN (which you get when you have ESPN through your cable/satellite provider etc).

Was it a Twitter exclusive. My only objection to today’s game was that it was a Facebook only game.  I peeked in for one second and while the game was going on people are commenting and their comments appeared on the left side of the screen. Ridiculous. I turned it off quickly. 

I don't recall.  

People watch so much content online today (versus exclusively on tv) that it makes sense that tv channels have jumped onboard (HBO, ESPN, etc) with online  programming.  It also makes sense that successful websites like FB and Twitter would also be trying to reach the same customers who will watch live sports online. 

I think that's a growing platform, unlike cable/satellite tv.

12 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I don't recall.  

People watch so much content online today (versus exclusively on tv) that it makes sense that tv channels have jumped onboard (HBO, ESPN, etc) with online  programming.  It also makes sense that successful websites like FB and Twitter would also be trying to reach the same customers who will watch live sports online. 

I think that's a growing platform, unlike cable/satellite tv.

I think FB is using these games to get more people to sign up.  After fans register and watch the game they soon discover that it’s hard to get rid of an account. 

8 hours ago, Brad said:

I’m surprised at their early struggles. 

I’ve been pleasantly surprised how the Mets have done so far and like how Callaway is handling the team. 

My neighbor Sam Stephenson (The Jazz Loft Project author) is a Mets fan and shares your pleasure at their performance out of the gate. He was sporting a Mets hat when he stopped by last night to borrow a book. ☺️

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

My neighbor Sam Stephenson (The Jazz Loft Project author) is a Mets fan and shares your pleasure at their performance out of the gate. He was sporting a Mets hat when he stopped by last night to borrow a book. ☺️

Fantastic!  We’re all over the place. 

19 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Yankees bullpen imploding yet again. :rolleyes: Tonight it's Chad Greene against the Orioles. 

I wouldn’t worry too much. As an Orioles fan since I was born in ‘85 (two years after their last World Series championship in ‘83), I’ve seen this happen every year. Yankees bring in the expensive big name players. They struggle a little at the beginning, then the mix between the expensive off-season signees and their always amazing farm system grown players start to gel and they end up grinding us and Tampa into the ground. I know it’s been a while since the Yankees have won the division outright, but I have a feeling my poor Orioles have squandered their last opportunity at making a real playoff push for many years to come. With the possibility of losing Machado (to the Yankees is my guess) and Jones this offseason, it’s probably going to be the better part of a decade before we might field a team that can compete.

Don’t get me wrong, I love watching the Yankees struggle. It does my heart good. But it never lasts. 

1 hour ago, Soulstation1 said:

Bought the Mlbtv package for $25 a month

Cancel at any time

I cant get the Tribe game to load 

If you have T-Mobile for your cell service, they offer you MLB.TV for free each year (though there is a window to subscribe to MLBTV each time, and if you miss it you're out of luck I guess - this year it ended on April 2nd).  

I'm a long time Astros fan.  The thing that sucks about MLBTV from my experience is that because I am considered to be in the Houston Astros tv market, I am not able to watch Astros games on MLBTV.  But the Astros games (shown on AT&T Sportsnet Southwest) are not available on either of the two cable company's channel lineups for Corpus Christi, so I am not able to watch them on tv or on MLBTV either.

So I get to watch Rangers games on Fox Sports Southwest, even though they're 8+ hours away by car, versus 3 for the Astros.  

Anyway, T-Mobile might be a cheaper alternative for you in the future, potentially.

9 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

I'm a long time Astros fan.  The thing that sucks about MLBTV from my experience is that because I am considered to be in the Houston Astros tv market, I am not able to watch Astros games on MLBTV.  But the Astros games (shown on AT&T Sportsnet Southwest) are not available on either of the two cable company's channel lineups for Corpus Christi, so I am not able to watch them on tv or on MLBTV either.

So I get to watch Rangers games on Fox Sports Southwest, even though they're 8+ hours away by car, versus 3 for the Astros.  

You need a VPN. Not all VPNs work, however, when it comes to circumventing MLBTV's asinine home-market blackouts - SmartDNS was the favored one, but apparently they are having issues this season, so they seem to have been superseded by YonderTV. Alternatively, there's no shortage of user-posted streams on the r/MLBStreams subreddit, which is also a useful resource for VPN users. 

I get all the Astros games on AT&T Sportsnet Southwest via Comcast, so I haven't had to seek them out elsewhere. If I were in Corpus and faced with watching the Rangers, I'd probably just say the hell with it and get season tickets to the Hooks games instead.