MLB 2018: let the games begin!

I have Directv. One of the reasons I signed up was because Dish (which I then had) was not going to be carrying the Mets games.  Screw that! Directv also has a MLB package where you can see the games of every other team; I signed up for this as my son is an Angels fan (although truth be told I’m watching more Halos games than he is). 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

You need a VPN. Not all VPNs work, however, when it comes to circumventing MLBTV's asinine home-market blackouts - SmartDNS was the favored one, but apparently they are having issues this season, so they seem to have been superseded by YonderTV. Alternatively, there's no shortage of user-posted streams on the r/MLBStreams subreddit, which is also a useful resource for VPN users. 

I get all the Astros games on AT&T Sportsnet Southwest via Comcast, so I haven't had to seek them out elsewhere. If I were in Corpus and faced with watching the Rangers, I'd probably just say the hell with it and get season tickets to the Hooks games instead. 

Good info on the VPN stuff, thanks.  

I'm not a season ticket holder, but we do go to our share of Hooks games.  They're a blast!  Right now Yuli Gurriel has been playing for the Hooks, before he returns to the Astros.  Unfortunately the first few games have been on the road, so I haven't seen him yet.  First home game isn't until the 12th.

The current Hooks team also includes Jon Singleton, who's had issues but has been on the Astros rosters a few times.  And Ryne Birk, who I've followed since his days at Texas A&M.  And one of the players with probably the biggest potential to move up is 1B Yordan Alvarez - keep an eye out for him.

15 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Tribe makes an error 

Red Sox only team w/o an error this season 

able to get games on mlb at bat 

The Red Sox are off to a great start, especially with their starting pitching. For all of the hype about the Yankees acquiring Stanton, I still put them third overall in the AL, either tied with or a notch ahead of Cleveland, with Houston and Boston pacing the field. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the same four teams in the American League playoffs this year.

We’re also two weeks into the season and the Yankees are already the walking wounded. Greg Bird out (again), Hicks, Ellsbury, Clint Frazier, now C.C., plus Brandon Drury’s heretofore hidden migraine problem (which may account for the three errors he’s already accumulated), plus the bullpen’s shoddy performance out of the gate... NY’s in good shape, I guess, to be 5-4. Hopefully it won’t be this rocky all season long.

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, Dave Garrett said:

The ending of last night's HOU-SD game was the damnedest thing I've seen all week.

Astros win on walk-off popup (seriously)

Yes, thanks, Dave, hadn't seen that highlight!  Somewhat reminiscent of the ending to this 2009 Yankees-Mets game:

After another morale-buster embarrassment of a loss today, I'll try to take solace in remembering that the 2009 team struggled out of the gate as well.  But oh, man, did that suck.  And so far the Marlins appear to have gotten the better of the Stanton-for-Castro deal.  

On 4/9/2018 at 8:17 PM, ghost of miles said:

Yes, thanks, Dave, hadn't seen that highlight!  Somewhat reminiscent of the ending to this 2009 Yankees-Mets game:

That should've bolstered Castillo's case for a Lead Glove Award! 

There was a fair amount of snark online regarding Hosmer's $144 million contract after his game-losing gaffe Saturday. Which is unfortunate, as everyone has a bad day at the office once in a while. In general, I like Hosmer, but in this particular instance I can't say I was disappointed with the way the game ended. 

57 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I can't believe no one here's talking about Ohtani after Sunday's game. 

Oh, I definitely noticed! Certainly a Ruthian start to his season, after the dreadful spring training that had led to some speculation that be might even have to spend some time in the minors. A great story to follow this season, that’s for sure.

I nearly posted earlier today that it would be a moral victory for the Yankees to take one of three in Fenway this week. After tonight’s dumpster 🔥, I may have to ratchet that definition of moral victory down to Judge’s home run off Sale. Not even mid-April yet, but Boston’s clearly the team to beat in the East... not NY.  Houston doesn’t seem to have lost a step from last season either.

Edited by ghost of miles

Comment from Long Time Listener late in the game thread:

>>some day we're going to laugh about this stretch

I wish I could be placed into a coma until that day.<<

The threads at PA are often entertaining, win or lose. 

It’s a long season etc, but if NY gets swept they’ll be 7 back in the loss column already. Quite a hole to try to dig themselves out of. 

I don’t really know enough about the Angels... are they playoff-viable this year, especially if Ohtani pans out as a starter and part-time DH?