MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing that confuses me about the number of people in Naples unfamiliar with this tradition (which was meant to be visible from the El train going past the stadium, for workers heading home to know what the day's result was) is that SW Florida has far more "midwest" snowbirds and retirees, while the NY types go to SE Florida.  Which would make more people coming from an area closer to Cub land and therefore knowledge of the flag might be more common.

Mom now confirms its happened at least 8-10 times in the less than 18 months since I put the flag up for her, people questioning what the heck it is.

3 hours ago, Soulstation1 said:

Tribe batting .208 

Better than Giancarlo Stanton!

1/10th of the way through the season and NY's already six back of Boston.  Sanchez Stanton etc will eventually come around and I think the infield will stabilize, esp. if Torres gets called up soon and pans out, but the rotation's a mess--one ace (Severino) and four big question marks, and the bullpen remains an uncertainty as well.  If Boston's Big Three stay healthy, I don't see how they don't win the AL East this year, and comfortably at that.  

Well, the Oakland A's discovered a nearly-foolproof way to defeat the 2018 Red Sox--throw a shutout no-hitter.  Just a little matter of execution, that's all.  That means Boston's now on pace to win only 138 games as opposed to 145, though they'll still finish 50 games ahead of the Yankees.  Gleyber Torres, save us from this awful fate!

Yankees call up top prospect Gleyber Torres

What NY really needs, though, is more consistent starting pitching--and I don't see that being remedied any time soon.

On 4/26/2018 at 4:17 PM, Dan Gould said:

Fuck the Yankees.

This post bears a timestamp roughly equivalent to the immediate aftermath of Gary Sanchez’s walkoff HR against the Twins that afternoon. 😛

Pleasantly surprised that NY has closed the gap with Boston so quickly. My concerns about the rotation remain, however. What happens when NY runs into a team with the starters to shut them down? (i.e. Houston or Boston) The offense is definitely looking stellar, though, and Gleyber Torres is living up to the hype so far.

Edited by ghost of miles

13 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

This post bears a timestamp roughly equivalent to the immediate aftermath of Gary Sanchez’s walkoff HR against the Twins that afternoon. 😛

Pleasantly surprised that NY has closed the gap with Boston so quickly. My concerns about the rotation remain, however. What happens when NY runs into a team with the starters to shut them down? (i.e. Houston or Boston) The offense is definitely looking stellar, though, and Gleyber Torres is living up to the hype so far.

Still a long regular season to go, but this is definitely a fun team to watch ....

Yankees being no-hit by Charlie Morton through five and look completely overmatched against the Astros.  What is Morton, Houston's #4 or #5 starter?  Another guy who's only improved as a pitcher since coming under the wing of Brent Strom.  Their rotation is killer.  Sonny Gray looking somewhat better tonight but still struggling.   

Sixth game in a row at Minute Maid Park (counting last year's ALCS) in which the Yankees have scored one or zero runs.  They've got to either start hitting better against Houston on the road or end up with the AL's best record if they want to have any hope in the postseason, since they can't seem to beat the Astros in an away game.  

Edited by ghost of miles

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Sixth game in a row at Minute Maid Park (counting last year's ALCS) in which the Yankees have scored one or zero runs.  They've got to either start hitting better against Houston on the road or end up with the AL's best record if they want to have any hope in the postseason, since they can't seem to beat the Astros in an away game.  

Let's wait and see....

7 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The Astros are a better team this year than last, having added Verlander and Gerrit Cole. 

Here’s an interesting article on the Astros that was in yesterday’s paper:

A Numbers Guy Leaves the Front Office to Coach Prodpects. Here’s what he Learned.