MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Brad said:

That's one of those statistics which seem meaningless to me.   What is the significance in the overall scheme of things? Very little I expect. 

Probably .... but after Judge was questioned as potential "one season wonder" this "stat" shows that he is well underway in his sophomore full season .... no more no less .... 

I was one of those too but I've grudgingly come to realize he's the real thing.  Those two throws yesterday were impressive.  While I think Stanton's year last year was an anomaly, time will show that Judge's probably wasn't. 

Mildly nauseated this morning to find that a game the Astros had in hand when I went to bed had blown up. And now the Red Sox have signed Adam Lind as 1B protection. Yeah that makes sense, get rid of Hanley who can still hit and if need be slip Lind in there if someone gets hurt.

UGGH.

19 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Just like the Yankees planned it! The ol’ “Chapman throws 100 mph wild pitch that richochets off the backstop, Sanchez nails runner attempting to advance” play... works every time! 😄

Kemp thrown out after wild pitch ricochets

Between that play, and the fact that the Yankees committed five errors and still managed to win, luck was certainly on their side. The Astros stranded too many runners on base, and with that many errors the game shouldn't have been as close as it was going into the late innings. 

16 hours ago, Dave Garrett said:

Between that play, and the fact that the Yankees committed five errors and still managed to win, luck was certainly on their side. The Astros stranded too many runners on base, and with that many errors the game shouldn't have been as close as it was going into the late innings. 

No kidding—the last time the Yankees won a game in which they made five errors was in April 1997, 21 years ago. This is a really fun AND frustrating team to watch, that’s for sure. Andujar and Torres are almost certainly the best bottom-of-the-order hitting duo in MLB right now, but they’re quite an adventure in the infield. Torres is, I think, a superb fielder who’s experiencing rookie kinks; Andujar will probably improve at third but is never going to have great range there. On another note, Tuesday night was the fifth time so far this season that NY’s come back to win after being behind in the 8th inning. Last night’s solid W with Severino on the mound and only one error (Andujar again) was a little less nerve-wracking to watch. 

MLB has purchased Rawlings.

I suppose the day will come that all MLB equipment will be made by Rawlings, so then MLB will not have to share the merchandise revenue.  Anybody have a better guess?

On 6/3/2018 at 0:03 PM, Soulstation1 said:

RIP

Bruce Kison 68YO

2 time WS Champ with the Pirates 

RIP.  He pitched for the Pirates when I lived in Pittsburgh.

Edited by GA Russell

On 6/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, Soulstation1 said:

RIP

Bruce Kison 68YO

2 time WS Champ with the Pirates 

I loved those Pirates teams of the 1970s, so many interesting personalities. I think that's what I miss most, the personalities from the days gone by, nowadays, there seems to be only the cookie cutter mold of no emotion while playing, unwritten rules galore -- strangely enough, some those old-time managers like Danny Murtaugh seemed to be pretty chill about things, unlike today's over controlling managers.

Edit: Yeah, I know, the above is really old geezer talk, but really, get off my lawn! 

Edited by Matthew

I can’t see anybody beating out Verlander if he stays on his current pace or regresses only slightly. But Sevy is indeed having a fantastic season so far. With Jordan Montgomery lost to TJ surgery, I’ll be curious to see who the Yankees can get to replace him. Cole Hamels’ name comes up a lot, but he’s 34 and in some ways not having such a great season, statistically speaking, to date. Yankees fans would love to somehow peel Bumgarner away from the Giants or deGrom from the Mets, but both seem like longshot deals to me, especially Bumgarner. 

Edited by ghost of miles