MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Brad said:

I’m not adverse to trading deGrom, considering how the Mets are playing but the Yankees are going to have to pay dearly. 

I don't know that there's anybody untouchable in the Yankees' farm system now, with Torres and Andujar already at MLB level.  The Yankees could probably put together a pretty good package that would include Clint Frazier or Estevan Florial as an outfielder and either Justus Sheffield, Albert Abreu or Chance Adams as a pitcher.  (Oh, and take Tyler Austin--please!) I'd hate to part with any of them, but yeah, deGrom would command a good price.  

Wait, I'm overlooking a prime candidate--Jacobi Ellsbury!  He'll be well-rested by the time he returns to active duty, that's for sure.  :)  (Snark inspired by the chatter I sometimes come across on any baseball-fan site, where team partisans inevitably propose ridiculously lopsided trades that involve disposing of damaged or badly-performing players for the likes of Clayton Kershaw.)

Edited by ghost of miles

No offense but if we’re going to trade one of the top pitchers in baseball, we’re going to expect equal value.  They will start asking for Torres but then settle for Andujar, probably someone else from the major league roster (possibly Frazier) and two can’t miss prospects. 

It’s never going to happen though because Mets management doesn’t have the courage to break it down like the Braves and Astros did.  We will just piddle along and stink. 

2 hours ago, Brad said:

No offense but if we’re going to trade one of the top pitchers in baseball, we’re going to expect equal value.  They will start asking for Torres but then settle for Andujar, probably someone else from the major league roster (possibly Frazier) and two can’t miss prospects. 

It’s never going to happen though because Mets management doesn’t have the courage to break it down like the Braves and Astros did.  We will just piddle along and stink. 

No way Andujar gets traded for anybody at this point—same with Torres. Either way you’re probably right, deGrom to the Yankees won’t end up happening. 

There was a kid at the Yankees-Jays game tonight who kept holding up a “99 All Rise” sign whenever Aaron Judge came up to bat. Judge has been in a bad slump, and the game went 13 innings. In the top of the 13th, he came up again with a runner on base and the game still tied 0-0. You won’t see it in this video clip, but the kid wearily raised his sign yet again on a 1-2 count and heaved a sigh just before Judge blasted a home run to centerfield. Needless to say, the kid was pretty happy. ☺️

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2126572683

He’d already had some excitement during pre-game batting practice when he realized the ball he’d chased down had been hit by Judge:

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2126698483

Kids really seem to love #99.

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

No way Andujar gets traded for anybody at this point—same with Torres. Either way you’re probably right, deGrom to the Yankees won’t end up happening. 

If you want to get to the promised land, it’s going to cost.  The Cubs needed a closer and they had to give up quality, Torres, to get Chapman.  We’re not going to accept shit and Yankee fans shouldn’t think the Mets or any other team will accept garbage.  Now that you’ve lost Montgomery, you’re not dealing from strength. 

Edited by Brad

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

If you want to get to the promised land, it’s going to cost.  The Cubs needed a closer and they had to give up quality, Torres, to get Chapman.  We’re not going to accept shit and Yankee fans shouldn’t think the Mets or any other team will accept garbage.  Now that you’ve lost Montgomery, you’re not dealing from strength. 

I don’t think I was suggesting the Mets accept “shit” or “garbage” for deGrom. (And Clint Frazier, Estevan Florial, and the two pitchers I mentioned are far from either characterization.) Torres was a prospect when we got him for Chapman, not a player already proving himself at the MLB level. If the Yankees have to go the rest of the season with Domingo German as the fifth starter, so be it. They’ll have other options to pursue come the trading deadline if they decide to go all-in for a starting pitcher.

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

There was a kid at the Yankees-Jays game tonight who kept holding up a “99 All Rise” sign whenever Aaron Judge came up to bat. Judge has been in a bad slump, and the game went 13 innings. In the top of the 13th, he came up again with a runner on base and the game still tied 0-0. You won’t see it in this video clip, but the kid wearily raised his sign yet again on a 1-2 count and heaved a sigh just before Judge blasted a home run to centerfield. Needless to say, the kid was pretty happy. ☺️

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2126572683

He’d already had some excitement during pre-game batting practice when he realized the ball he’d chased down had been hit by Judge:

https://www.mlb.com/video/c-2126698483

Kids really seem to love #99.

This priceless video documents all the pain and joy a baseball fan can go trough in 30 seconds .... and as role model, there is nothing not to be liked about Aaron Judge (especially for kids) ....

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

I don’t think I was suggesting the Mets accept “shit” or “garbage” for deGrom. (And Clint Frazier, Estevan Florial, and the two pitchers I mentioned are far from either characterization.) Torres was a prospect when we got him for Chapman, not a player already proving himself at the MLB level. If the Yankees have to go the rest of the season with Domingo German as the fifth starter, so be it. They’ll have other options to pursue come the trading deadline if they decide to go all-in for a starting pitcher.

Based of the line-up`s hitting power (at least until now) and the mostly reliable bullpen I belive the Yankees are not forced to go for a starting pitcher at any price .... as usual time will tell (or not) ;) ....

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Based of the line-up`s hitting power (at least until now) and the mostly reliable bullpen I belive the Yankees are not forced to go for a starting pitcher at any price .... as usual time will tell (or not) ;) ....

In the playoffs, it’s all about pitching.  Do you think the Astros would have won had they not traded for Verlander? That would be no. 

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

In the playoffs, it’s all about pitching.  Do you think the Astros would have won had they not traded for Verlander? That would be no. 

Probably, but it should be noted that despite their "pitching power" the Astros were put on the brink of elimination by the "evil empire" last year .... but obviously having strong pitching never will hurt ....

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Yes, and what stopped them: good pitching, which -- and I hate to sound like a broken record -- the name of the game in the post-season. 

Speaking of "sound like a broken record" : The Yankess have terrible track record with acquiering "mature" pitching so another reason I would root for no more "panic trade for an ace" transaction(s) ....

There is no present need for them to make a trade.  They can make a trade all the way up to August 30; players acquired after July 31 just have to go through waivers: that's how Verlander was acquired. 

Edited by Brad

18 minutes ago, paul secor said:

When does the air come out of the balloons? Almost 40% of the season is over, and two teams are playing almost .700 ball. No way that continues.

Paul when you look at the rest of the division, and most of the league, it's not that hard to see both teams continuing to feast most of the time on teams not named the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros,  Mariners, Angels and (maybe) Indians.  

Although I guess I have to expect some reversion to the mean since 110 wins is only .679 winning percentage. Can two teams pull that in the same division?

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Paul when you look at the rest of the division, and most of the league, it's not that hard to see both teams continuing to feast most of the time on teams not named the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros,  Mariners, Angels and (maybe) Indians.  

Although I guess I have to expect some reversion to the mean since 110 wins is only .679 winning percentage. Can two teams pull that in the same division?

It's never been done before. I guess we'll find out.

Although not 110 wins, in 1993, the Braves won 104 and the Giants won 103 when they were both in the Western Division of the NL. Due to the playoff format then in use, the Giants missed the playoffs. 

I also saw that in the 1980 ED of the AL, the Yankees had 103 wins and the Orioles 100. 

Edited by Brad

He's not a number one but a pretty darn good two or three.  This season he's posted uncharacteristic numbers though and with his injury, who knows.  One thing, however.   Shutting him down for the playoffs probably saved his career, unlike the way the Mets dealt with Harvey. 

Strasburg is a number 1 or 1A on every team in the majors. He is among the very best in the game. Scherzer, Sale,  Kershaw and a couple of guys on the Astros would be #1 above him. Practically every other team in the majors would bless the day they had a Strasburg as their #1.

Ohtani's out for a few weeks too.  And Tanaka's getting an MRI on his hamstrings... boy oh boy, bad news if he gets shut down for more than a start or two.  I hate interleague games for precisely this reason (a dislike I think is particularly acute among Yankee fans because Chien-Ming Wang's career was undone by a base-running injury in an interleague game). Debate this morning online about whether or not Nevins should have sent him on such a shallow fly-ball--he clearly couldn't decide whether or not to slide, which may have accounted for the awkward stride that caused the injury.  Also debate about whether or not Tanaka's conditioning is adequate.  But AL pitchers are never in baserunning situations.  If somebody goes down in the World Series, that's one thing--the season's nearly over anyway.  But to potentially lose a starting pitcher because of some relatively meaningless mid-season game... long live the DH, say I.    

I hear everyone about the pro-Strasburg stats and everything, I get the love, but maybe it's that I perpetually think the Nationals are going to win it all, and then they bomb out of the playoffs -- sort of like the Braves all those years. I still don't get how you have three Hall of Fame pitchers on your staff, and only one World Series win.