MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/4/2018 at 8:58 PM, ghost of miles said:

I'm also as objective as any fan can be--if anything, like Dan with the Red Sox, usually excessively critical of the team I root for.  I remember Catesta (who I think is a Yankee fan as well) being irked at me last year after the Yankees went up 3-2 in the ALCS over Houston, because I was pessimistic that NY would win the series.  Why?  Because Houston consistently knocked them around at home all last season, and the final two games were at Houston.  

Why you bringin' up old shit? ;)

Edited by catesta

Pleasantly surprised that Michael Brantley got voted in by players. He was a throw in prospect in the CLE/MIL Sabathia trade way back when. Anyone recall future slugging star Matt LaPorta? (Ugh. Trade is exhibit A for not getting any sort of premium for trading stars at the deadline. Perhaps a useful contrast to the great Colon to MON deal.) Brantley has battled injuries the last several years, and I thought it probably was a mistake to sign/extend him this past offseason, but he has stayed healthy (so far).

Winner of the East could have 110 wins and not have home field advantage in the ALCS.

And, is this the time to take "AL" in the World Series in Vegas? Who is a dominant team in the NL?  Baseball is funny enough that anything happens in a series - or the Mariners would have a championship flag flying - but I can't recall three teams this good in one league and no one even close in the other.

Matheney bounced as manager by the Cards.  Apparently very rare for this organization to take such a move in the middle of a season but the results have been really lacking. And I was reading recently that he and Dexter Fowler don't speak, and some veteran pitcher has been riding a rookie, old-school style. When the rook was asked if it was helping him, he said "no idea. Next question."

Now I'm an old-school kinda guy so if someone wants to Crash Davis the guy, I wouldn't object.  But I think it needs to stay in-house and not become a question for the media to ask about.

As for my Sox I think I am going to enter the post-ASG with a little trepidation.  Eduardo Rodriguez came out of yesterday's game with an ankle strain after a 1B collision (thank God he looked like he was walking normally off the field), and Devers is on the DL with a shoulder issue and Benitiendi is on the bereavement list.  Those are serious losses especially Benitiendi, a huge cog of the offense since June 1 or so.  Good that Benitiendi won't miss as many games as he would have at a different point of the season.

Indians took down the Yankees today and thus split the series.  I'll take that.

On to All-Star festivities...does anyone really understand the Home Run Derby?  The rules seem to change every year. And how are the participants selected?  This year, it looks like 7 out of 8 are from the NL.  What is up with that?

Supposedly the Phils are about to land Machado, and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth as no one needs to face the Yankees with an even lengthier middle of the lineup.  But why are the Phils upping their offer on a rental? This is not a now-or-never roster. Seven players are 26 or younger. Bright future and apparently a pretty strong group of prospects behind them.  Machado is signing with the Yanks for 2019 its practically a done deal.  But the Phillies giving up a lot for two months makes zero sense to me.

6 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Supposedly the Phils are about to land Machado, and I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth as no one needs to face the Yankees with an even lengthier middle of the lineup.  But why are the Phils upping their offer on a rental? This is not a now-or-never roster. Seven players are 26 or younger. Bright future and apparently a pretty strong group of prospects behind them.  Machado is signing with the Yanks for 2019 its practically a done deal.  But the Phillies giving up a lot for two months makes zero sense to me.

The Dodgers now appear to be the favorites.