MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the proposed pitch clock rule, I think the answer could be zero...four "non-pitch balls" to 27 (or however many) batters, then pick each runner off first.

But iirc the pitch clock was not adopted by MLB for 2018. Maybe the weird scenario could occur in the minor leagues.

Edited by T.D.

Sale picks up where he left off, a dozen Ks in 5 innings.  50 games over .500 on August 12.  Never would have predicted it. 

I'll still say the Mariner's record is safe. Was looking thru the remaining schedule and there are some definite tough series - like the next 12 are Phillies, Rays, Indians and Rays again. Then the Marlins and White Sox, but that's followed by the Braves and Astros. Blue Jays and Mets at home, but then Yankees and Indians on the road, the woe begotten O's and the Yanks to wrap it up.  That's a fair bit against playoff teams, and the Rays aren't pushovers as had been expected (Kevin Cash should get some votes for manager of the year, IMO).

I'm comfortable forecasting 105 wins as a floor, which is way more than I've ever enjoyed.  That assumes some series losses against the toughest teams left, but no sweeps and no extended slumps.   Since they've never lost more than three in a row seems like a safe bet.

They have an 11 game lead over the Astros for the home field.  I’d say it’s looking pretty good for them. Speaking of the Phillies, even though I should dislike them, there’s something attractive about this team and I thought they played the Red Sox tougher than the Yankees did. In the NL it’s wide open. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

They have an 11 game lead over the Astros for the home field.  I’d say it’s looking pretty good for them. Speaking of the Phillies, even though I should dislike them, there’s something attractive about this team and I thought they played the Red Sox tougher than the Yankees did. In the NL it’s wide open. 

Yeah Houston has more worries about the A's than trying to clinch home field (only 2.5 game lead now).  It's ridiculous to think that the Red Sox could win ten more and have the 95 wins that Theo always identified as the primary goal as he figured it would always get you to the Dance, whether by winning the division or wild card spot.

For the Phillies I think the great advantage is that they used their two aces, Arrieta and the other young guy, over the weekend. I don't even know who else they've got but not facing them again is a blessing.

Phils and Braves both have appealing young teams and its good to see them both on the upswing, and both maybe earlier than anyone thought.

Every kid's dream: down by three, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, two outs, two strikes and ...

https://www.mlb.com/news/david-bote-hits-walk-off-grand-slam-for-cubs/c-290076716

The catcher reaction was instantaneous. Reminds me of when Manny hit the walk-off in the ALDS in 2007. The catcher was out of the circle way before Manny exited.

I should check with Mom she never gives up til the last out I hope she didn't have a heart attack on that ending. 

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Every kid's dream: down by three, bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, two outs, two strikes and ...

https://www.mlb.com/news/david-bote-hits-walk-off-grand-slam-for-cubs/c-290076716

The catcher reaction was instantaneous. Reminds me of when Manny hit the walk-off in the ALDS in 2007. The catcher was out of the circle way before Manny exited.

I should check with Mom she never gives up til the last out I hope she didn't have a heart attack on that ending. 

I have two good friends who are passionate Cubs fans... I'll have to check in with them today as well.  ^_^

So Dan, from your close-observation perspective, who gets AL MVP this year--Mookie or J.D.?  I'd be tempted to give the nod to J.D., whose offensive contribution has been stratospheric, but curious as to what you think, given that you watch the team game-to-game.  (And Mookie is a tremendous defensive asset in addition to his bat, obviously.)

55 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I have two good friends who are passionate Cubs fans... I'll have to check in with them today as well.  ^_^

So Dan, from your close-observation perspective, who gets AL MVP this year--Mookie or J.D.?  I'd be tempted to give the nod to J.D., whose offensive contribution has been stratospheric, but curious as to what you think, given that you watch the team game-to-game.  (And Mookie is a tremendous defensive asset in addition to his bat, obviously.)

Well I only see the daily reporting, watch national broadcasts I get to watch.  Mom got her Extra Innings package so of course this weekend, when I'd be able to take advantage, is the Rays that I'd be able to see on Sunshine anyway. :(

Anyway I think Mookie has a better shot if he were closer in home runs. Voters love them taters.  As an all-around player its Mookie but I think Martinez wins if he ends up at 45+ homers. I guess I should want Mookie too since it would mean I didn't oppose the signing of the 2018 MVP.

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

bote-flip.gif?w=1200&h=

Check out the kid at lower left. Wish the camera had stayed on him but you see enough of his reaction. Priceless. What an experience for a young 'un.

Are the Marlins unusually douche-bag like?  The HBP should result in fines and suspensions from the manager to the pitcher to the catcher too.  I don't have video but I bet a GIF is out there already. You can see that the catcher scoots over inside for a target but actually moves his glove toward the batter before the pitch is delivered. He knew, it wasn't the pitcher acting on his own.

So, manager, pitcher and catcher all serve suspensions and pay fines, and how about something for Jeter too?

OK forget Jeter but suspend the pitcher for the rest of the season. No 10 or 15 days to miss two starts. Season. No pay, nothing.  Manager for 30 days, or season too..  Catcher gets the same as the pitcher.

That will get people's attention.

Edited by Dan Gould

What happened to playing baseball the old fashioned way? You can't let hitters get too comfortable up there or they will be teeing off on you all the time. I don't think he had to hit him but moving him back off the plate is acceptable.  Otherwise, just put in a batting practice pitcher.  

Edited by Brad

37 minutes ago, Brad said:

What happened to playing baseball the old fashioned way? You can't let hitters get too comfortable up there or they will be teeing off on you all the time. I don't think he had to hit him but moving him back off the plate is acceptable.  Otherwise, just put in a batting practice pitcher.  

If you're writing about the Marlins - Braves game, that didn't look like just making the batter uncomfortable. He was out to hit him and nothing else.

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

Brad you do know that he hit multiple lead off homers against the Marlins right?  He didn't go high and tight he drilled him with one of his hardest fastballs of the season, and the catcher knew what was coming he moved his glove behind the hitter before it was released. 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Are the Marlins unusually douche-bag like?  The HBP should result in fines and suspensions from the manager to the pitcher to the catcher too.  I don't have video but I bet a GIF is out there already. You can see that the catcher scoots over inside for a target but actually moves his glove toward the batter before the pitch is delivered. He knew, it wasn't the pitcher acting on his own.

So, manager, pitcher and catcher all serve suspensions and pay fines, and how about something for Jeter too?

OK forget Jeter but suspend the pitcher for the rest of the season. No 10 or 15 days to miss two starts. Season. No pay, nothing.  Manager for 30 days, or season too..  Catcher gets the same as the pitcher.

That will get people's attention.

Your Jeter animus is showing, Dan. If he had played for the Red Sox it would be a different story. :D

24 minutes ago, paul secor said:

Your Jeter animus is showing, Dan. If he had played for the Red Sox it would be a different story. :D

Yeah well that's why I edited the post. 

(but I wouldn't put it past-a-diving Jeter that he whispered in his managers ear.) :ph34r:

43 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Brad you do know that he hit multiple lead off homers against the Marlins right?  He didn't go high and tight he drilled him with one of his hardest fastballs of the season, and the catcher knew what was coming he moved his glove behind the hitter before it was released. 

Yes, which is why he obviously got hit.  I assume Urena will get a fine and asuspension.

Generally, batters crowd the plate too much. The pitchers need to do something but batters fly off the handle even if you throw a bit inside. My team has a guy, Brandon Nimmo, who is always crowding the plate and, of course, he gets hit a lot.  If pitchers can't pitch inside we're not going to have much of a game left. 

These are two different issues. Throwing in to try to back someone off the plate is completely different from throwing at someone with intent, because the rest of the starting staff can't keep him in the yard.

Lame. Stupid. Pathetic. 

And completely different.