MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/4/2018 at 8:57 AM, Brad said:

They’re paying for it now, with the dregs they acquired. They made a calculated risk about their pitching staff and it hasn’t worked out so far. 

They tried to trade for Gerrit Cole from the Pirates, but word is that Pittsburgh wanted either Andujar or Torres as part of the deal, and Cashman (fortunately) wasn't willing to include them.  Pittsburgh still could've gotten a better haul from NY than they eventually got from Houston, IMO, but I also wonder if Cole would have pitched as well in NY, especially without the Astros' pitching magic that improves the performance of all of their starters.  (I'm not saying that to cast aspersions on Houston's program, btw--I admire their efforts in this regard a great deal.)  Another good start from Happ last night, though.  And Luke Voit has emerged as an unlikely late-season hero.  

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

AT 75-63 the Rays would only be 3 behind Cleveland, as tight as the NL Central division is right now.

That's ridiculous.

If Tampa Bay plays .500 ball over the rest of the season and ends up 12 games over .500, Kevin Cash would get my vote (if I had one) for Al manager of the year. The front office traded away (or let go) most of their power in the off season and traded their no. 2 starter, Chris Archer, during the season (though he hadn't done much this year), so Cash hasn't had a lot to work with, with the exception of Blake Snell.

Shouldn't say anything to jinx it but Sox trying to steal a sweep in Atlanta.  Down 7-1 in the 8th, I was going to post that they look like they are playing like they are already on the charter back to Boston.  With one out they've scored six to tie. :excited:

And Betts is called out on strikes with the bases loaded.  I'm gonna be pissed if they end up losing this.

I don't know what you mean. I am saying what Paul seconded: the Rays have played much better than anyone expected and in any other division but the East and the AL West, they'd be playing very meaningful games right now.

That doesn't mean I think they belong elsewhere.

Wasn't Severino's night but what's this I hear about cross-ups being to blame for all those PBs and WPs?  I saw one pitch where Sanchez set up on the outside and the fastball came inside and off the plate.  That was the only one that looked like a cross-up. The rest were just further evidence that Sanchez has no clue how to block pitches.

13 PBs ties him for the major league lead. And he's watched 39 wild pitches go by.

In. 59. Games.

12 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Re Boston, they’ve definitely got the victory mojo this year. And Martinez and Betts didn’t even start today. 

Considering that until yesterday, teams were 0-487 when down by six or more entering the 8th inning, I'd have to say that is true.

So the Tigers play-by-play guy and the color man got into a "physical altercation" and I think are both are suspended. Pretty crazy:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/sources-rod-allen-choked-mario-impemba-after-disagreement-over-chair-in-tigers-broadcast-booth

But not nearly as crazy as this from the color man's days in Japan:

I don't recall seeing this ever before, not sure what is funnier, that the pitcher turned and ran or the sheer look of terror on his face as he was running. Great camera work there. Kudos to him though for putting on the brakes in the outfield, let the rest of the field catch up and get in between.

And the dude wasn't even hit!

Edited by Dan Gould

40 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

So the Tigers play-by-play guy and the color man got into a "physical altercation" and I think are both are suspended. Pretty crazy:

https://www.clickondetroit.com/sports/sources-rod-allen-choked-mario-impemba-after-disagreement-over-chair-in-tigers-broadcast-booth

But not nearly as crazy as this from the color man's days in Japan:

I don't recall seeing this ever before, not sure what is funnier, that the pitcher turned and ran or the sheer look of terror on his face as he was running. Great camera work there. Kudos to him though for putting on the brakes in the outfield, let the rest of the field catch up and get in between.

And the dude wasn't even hit!

:lol: Love the use of the Benny Hill chase theme!

Edited by ghost of miles

I figured it was with commentary in Japanese so I left the speakers off. :ph34r::o:unsure:

Last night was exhibits 1-7 why the Red Sox will die in October. Their bullpen is a fucking joke, top to bottom, full of no-names that suck.  Yankee fans complain bitterly and yeah, a healthy Chapman would line everybody up just a little better but I would not hesitate to trade, straight up, the entire Red Sox bullpen for what the Yankees have. It's not remotely close.  Hell I'd give up every no-name we have for every no-name the Yankees have. Couldn't happen though because everybody other than Kimbrel is a no-name and the Yankees have four legitimate closers.

So to my Yankee friends please, whatever happens, remember that it could be far worse. You could be sending Joe F-ing Kelly out to get critical outs but you don't have to. 

Check out this asshat:

So, old-schoolers: does this guy get a pitch in the ear next at-bat/season, for standing at the plate, then heaving his bat in the air, then taking the slowest trip around the bases this side of Big Papi?  I say yes. In fact, if the Rays could use Brian Daubach for target practice for the rest of his career after he did nothing but come over from first base to defend Pedro, I say this semi-pro Panthers club should throw at this guy every time, every game, forever.