MLB 2018: let the games begin!

When I was a kid, my dream was to find cards of players who crossed over from the Browns to the Orioles, coseutive cards, from one to the other. I failed miserably, but did find out that not only were Browns cards hard to find,  but also that when you did find them, that was some weird shit, them Browns cards were!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I had this card and was happy to have it, but what's up with the My Favorite Martian thing?

51UEh64JkwL._SY445_.jpg

And this, no attempt to change the cap insignia, whaddup, Topps, hadn't learned that trick yet?

38213715464_56983c05d5_b.jpg

and here's Bob Buhl on the lam from one of his frequent run-ins with good, decent people all over this great land of ours:

s-l300.jpg

Ah, the Browns...

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

If I were the Red Sox, I'd tell him we won't prosecute if you hand it back.  

If I were the Red Sox, I'd tell him we won't prosecute if you hand it back.  

You're a lawyer Brad please enlighten me as to what law they have broken. They did not steal it. They found it on the side of the road. They are asking for compensation as a condition of return.  There's no illegality here, only douchebaggery. 

If I ran the Sox I'd order up a new banner and tell them to go blow.  Then they are free to sell it on eBay. Might even get a pretty good amount since only two would exist and one would be hanging at Fenway, when they have their little celebration.

I'd send somebody over to tie them to some crates of tea and then throw them into the harbor when nobody's looking.

That's some real punkass behavior, really. If you find it, bring it back. If the organization has any sense at all, there will be a goodwill gesture. But to "negotiate" for return...that's weasel behavior.

I see there's a term called "Masshole". Having not yet had the pleasure of the opportunity to visit New England, I can't speak to that being a real thing or not. But if there is, this is it.

If they knew (or found out) that it belonged to the Red Sox, they’re under an obligation to return the property to them. They’re trying to keep property that doesn’t belong to them.  It’s different than finding money on the street or some other property where the owner can’t be identified.  At a minimum, if they didn’t know who the owner was, legally they’re required to give the property to the police.  

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'd send somebody over to tie them to some crates of tea and then throw them into the harbor when nobody's looking.

That's some real punkass behavior, really. If you find it, bring it back. If the organization has any sense at all, there will be a goodwill gesture. But to "negotiate" for return...that's weasel behavior.

I see there's a term called "Masshole". Having not yet had the pleasure of the opportunity to visit New England, I can't speak to that being a real thing or not. But if there is, this is it.

I only knew of "Masshole" in the context of childish Yankee fans posting on baseball boards. Not that I doubted it existed - and here we have it in its purest form.

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

If they knew (or found out) that it belonged to the Red Sox, they’re under an obligation to return the property to them. They’re trying to keep property that doesn’t belong to them.  It’s different than finding money on the street or some other property where the owner can’t be identified.  At a minimum, if they didn’t know who the owner was, legally they’re required to give the property to the police.  

Then where did  the expression "possession is 9/10ths of the law" come from?

26 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I only knew of "Masshole" in the context of childish Yankee fans posting on baseball boards. Not that I doubted it existed - and here we have it in its purest form.

Then where did  the expression "possession is 9/10ths of the law" come from?

You mean, like “finders-keepers”? That may have been the practice once but it’s not the law.  It’s more like folk wisdom. 

Edited by Brad

9 minutes ago, Brad said:

You mean, like “finders-keepers”? That may have been the practice once but it’s not the law.  It’s more like folk wisdom. 

The saying “possession is nine points of the law” is an old common law precept that means one who has physical control or possession over the property is clearly at an advantage or is in a better possession than a person who has no possession over the property. Even if a person is the rightful owner of the property but has no possession over it, the person who is in possession will be in a better position should the property ever be subject to challenge. This is especially true with adverse possession. However mere possession alone does not grant the possessor rights in the property superior to those of the actual owner. This adage “possession is nine tenths of the law” is not a law but a logical rule of force that has been recognized across ages.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/p/possession-is-nine-points-of-the-law/

The common law in cases of lost or abandoned property has been superseded by statute in many states. 

Regarding citing definitions in a legal law dictionary, not that this applies to non lawyers, but on the first day of Contracts, a first year course required of entering students (along with Torts, Civil Procedure, Criminal Law and Property), the Professor said that if anyone ever cited Blacks Law Dictionary, he would fail them on the spot. Needless to say, I shelved it and rarely used it again.  

Edited by Brad

The Yankees certainly need to get the rust off Chapman, assuming he's really 100%.

As far as the Sox bullpen goes, if they could use Wright as the bridge every time I'd feel a lot better but I don't see that happening in successive games, or not very frequently.  Kimbrel seems to have regained a little command recently but whether he can keep that up for a month straight is whole 'nother thing.

And if Mookie hadn't hit the homer, you were going to see Kimbrel in the 8th with a two run lead and that would have been an adventure or a nightmare.

3 hours ago, paul secor said:

How many close games do the Yankees have to lose because Boone brings in his worst relievers? 3-1 after 5. Boone pulls Happ and brings in Cole, Kahnle, and Cessa. 5-3 after 6. Ended 6-3. Cole, Kahnle, and Cessa shouldn't be on the 40 man roster. Does anyone think that any of them will be on the 25 man playoff roster?

I was at the movies all afternoon and didn't see the score and rundown till well after the game had ended, but wtf?  Bringing in Cole at the top of the 6th when NY was up by only two runs?  Why on earth didn't Boone go to Sonny Gray, who's actually pitched quite well against the Orioles this year and hasn't been used of late?  Gray potentially gives you several innings as well.  A clunker by the offense again after the first, but man, I feel as if Boone has thrown away a number of games this year with very poor bullpen choices when we've either been narrowly ahead or narrowly behind.  Plus Didi is probably out for the season after injuring his wrist last night on the last play of the game.  At this rate we'll be lucky to make it out of the WC game.  

Last year Toronto set a record by hitting only five triples.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/02/sports/baseball/statistics-toronto-blue-jays.html

This year they may set another record.  Thus far, they have hit only five sacrifice bunts.

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/news/blue-jays-rarely-utilize-sacrifice-bunts/c-294600434

Edited by GA Russell

Well on the one hand the Twins came thru for the Yanks and beat the A's to keep the lead at 1 1/2. Playing four against the Rays in Tampa would be much more worrisome with only a 1/2 game lead. And they avoid Schnell or whatever his name is, the presumptive Cy winner now.  I still peg the Yanks to host the wild card but if Didi is out for the season the road thru October got a lot harder.

Has anyone indicated if he is taking a long-term risk by getting the cortisone shot and trying to play?

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

The Os are 59.5 GB behind the Red Sox.  They are close to the 62 Mets (60.5). I believe that is the most since that Met team. 

Wow.  And they play three starting tonight in Fenway. I'd say if that's an MLB record then the Mets may be relieved of that ignominy soon.

15 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I was at the movies all afternoon and didn't see the score and rundown till well after the game had ended, but wtf?  Bringing in Cole at the top of the 6th when NY was up by only two runs?  Why on earth didn't Boone go to Sonny Gray, who's actually pitched quite well against the Orioles this year and hasn't been used of late?  Gray potentially gives you several innings as well.  A clunker by the offense again after the first, but man, I feel as if Boone has thrown away a number of games this year with very poor bullpen choices when we've either been narrowly ahead or narrowly behind.  Plus Didi is probably out for the season after injuring his wrist last night on the last play of the game.  At this rate we'll be lucky to make it out of the WC game.  

And, we get to look at Sanchez behind the plate and then staring at the plate for WC game.

Somewhat amused that the Sunday night crew were all picking the Tribe as their favorites in the AL. Was hoping to continue flying under the radar in flyover country. :cool: But when the genius ARod opines otherwise, so be it. Think the rotation can hang with anyone's, as can the top 1/3 of the order. But the rest of the lineup drops off considerably, as does the bullpen. Hoping that Andrew Miller who has been injury-plagued, and Cody Allen who has just been lost, can regain some effectiveness.

Pleasantly surprised by the season Mike Clevinger has had. I did not have him penciled in for 200K, even in today's wildly swingin' era.