MLB 2018: let the games begin!

5 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Wow.  And they play three starting tonight in Fenway. I'd say if that's an MLB record then the Mets may be relieved of that ignominy soon.

They also play the Astros this weekend.  The Mets will still hold the modern record for most losses, 120, regardless. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a short schedule today but two games are crucial to how the final weekend shapes up:

Yanks wrap up against the Rays this afternoon, a win and their lead is back to 2 games for hosting the Wild Card play-in, but a loss and the lead is 1 with three to play;

Struggling Cubs host Pittsb. tonight, with a half game lead over the surging Brewers (thanks a whole f-ing lot, Cardinal LOSERS).  Cubs have to win four in a row, realistically, to not fall into the wild card.  They get the Cards while the Brewers get Detroit. I'm sure the Cardinals will regain their mojo now to complete their rat-fuck of the Cubs. (And what the hell was that runner doing last night after falling down around 3B? Dumbest base running since Merkle.)

And Ralph Houk can sleep soundly wherever he is. Red Sox needed to sweep the Orioles to have a shot at 109 or 110 wins for rookie manager Cora.  Now they have to win two of three at home against the Yanks just to get to 109 for a tie and I don't see it happening with the Yankees playing for something and the Red Sox giving everybody rest whether they need it or not.

And all for nothing, if Sale doesn't get his stuff together. Throwing in the low 90s last night? WTF?  A pedestrian Sale means a short post-season, no doubt.

I was thinking the Yankees should go with Severino in the play-in game since he's clearly pitched better recently, and in addition, Happ may not be the best option as I  heard that the A's have a harder time against righties than lefties. Which is why the Sox are holding off on the ALDS rotation - if its the A's it will be Eovaldi in the rotation with E-Rod in the pen, and the opposite if its the Yanks.

And yet Severino is listed as starter for Sunday. Might be just because nothing is set yet with home-field but still ...

Well the other three games featured opponents who just didn't care about trying to be competitive.  Cubs beat a team that at least pretended to be interested.  Anyway weird to have not one but two games where its not elimination, just lower seeding at stake.  I think the Cubs need to win just to get a break in the schedule, so many intense games down the stretch and hardly any off days anyway.

Out of these four will come the NLCS competitors. I don't think the Braves can compete with any of them. 

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Well the other three games featured opponents who just didn't care about trying to be competitive.  Cubs beat a team that at least pretended to be interested.  Anyway weird to have not one but two games where its not elimination, just lower seeding at stake.  I think the Cubs need to win just to get a break in the schedule, so many intense games down the stretch and hardly any off days anyway.

Out of these four will come the NLCS competitors. I don't think the Braves can compete with any of them. 

I’m not sure I can blame the Giants for not showing up; they just wanted the season over with. The Nats had a disappointing season, one filled with expectations so they probably just wanted to get out of town as soon as possible. 

So much for caring about playing spoiler.

So the Sox end up at 108 wins which immediately brings me back to Opening Day when they took a 4-0 lead into the 8th inning at Tampa and the bullpen blew it up, surrendering six runs (four charged to federal disaster area Joe Kelly who shouldn't sniff the post-season roster).  Excellent foreshadowing of a season-long problem, and a reminder that if they hadn't failed so egregiously in the opener, the record would have been 109-53 and Cora would have tied Ralph Houk for wins by a rookie manager.  

Cubs are lucky that the Baez Arenado hug wasn’t called obstruction, leading to an inning ending double play. 

Nothing came out of it so no harm. Just imagine had the Cubs won in that inning, the Rockies would be howling. 

Edited by Brad