MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty aggravated - glad though that at 84 Mom doesn't take the failures as hard as I do - yet this felt like it was going to happen after they failed to hold off the Brewers, then lost at home in the tie-breaker game.  Their offense was MIA too often in the second half and when you get to the playoffs against strong pitchers it will bite you in the ass.

As for tonight its Severino getting the nod, and MLB.com has an interesting article about why his high fastball could be kryptonite to the A's hitters. They basically suck against good fastball pitchers.  And if the Yanks win, I give them a serious advantage over the Sox with Happ available twice.

Who knows, Paul may decide Boone ain't that bad a manager.  (what am I thinking he could win it all and it will be despite his moves ...) ;)

I listened to Boone's press conference yesterday and I thought his reasons for starting Severino were weak. I have never been impressed by him and still find no reason to change my mind. If the Yanks lose tonight, the next sound you hear will be the network executives taking a header off the Empire State Building. 

I don't think you're one to put much into advanced metrics Brad but this makes a pretty compelling case why Severino matches up better than Happ and Tanaka.

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-severino-has-advantages-against-athletics/c-296915032

and it doesn't even mention the strategic advantage of saving Happ for the Red Sox, if they can win at home behind Severino.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I've been following this team all year long. No need to stop now!

3629304935_9f5a91506f.jpg

:lol: Is that chain still around? I started following your 2018 fave after the 12th ended last night (though I briefly toyed with continuing to listen on my cellphone while lying in bed, which would have evoked some transistor-radio childhood memories) but decided to head straight into slumberland instead. About tonight, I think Sevy will be on a very short hook—hopefully he can at least surpass last year’s WC debacle (wouldn’t take much). As John Sterling, that sage of the Yankee airwaves, has been known to profoundly observe, “You can’t predict baseball!”

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I don't think you're one to put much into advanced metrics Brad but this makes a pretty compelling case why Severino matches up better than Happ and Tanaka.

https://www.mlb.com/news/luis-severino-has-advantages-against-athletics/c-296915032

and it doesn't even mention the strategic advantage of saving Happ for the Red Sox, if they can win at home behind Severino.

I think if we were seeing vintage Severino or the  one we saw in the first half, I’d be more inclined to agree, although he’s pitched better recently. Notwithstanding, the Yankees should win. 

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Travelodge is certainly still around, but at some point Sleepy laid down for a nap up from which he did not awaken. Maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelodge

Sleepy went to sleep at a Travelodge on a farm?  

The article that Dan posted made me feel a bit better about Severino starting tonight.  On the flipside, the last time he pitched against the A's it was a disaster (though Sanchez played a role in that outing's results as well).  

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

So, uh, Sleepy left behind some kind of a perky offspring for his budget team, Thriftlodge. I guess if you like this kind of a team, it's there for you.

Thriftlodge_TJ_Bear.jpg

Seems sorta Clark Griffith-y to me, but you know, there's a fanbase for damn near anything these days.

I much prefer Sleepy, who looks as if he might have enjoyed a substance or two before turning in.  

Well, I don’t think Yankee fans could have asked for a better or more enjoyable WC win, short of Britton giving up a HR to a guy who led the majors in that category. And Boone made some good choices tonight, pulling Sevy in the 5th before things got out of hand and putting Hech in as a defensive replacement for Andujar when the lead was still 2-0. Clash of the AL East titans up next! Fenway will be rockin’ come Friday night.

5 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Well, I don’t think Yankee fans could have asked for a better or more enjoyable WC win, short of Britton giving up a HR to a guy who led the majors in that category. And Boone made some good choices tonight, pulling Sevy in the 5th before things got out of hand and putting Hech in as a defensive replacement for Andujar when the lead was still 2-0. Clash of the AL East titans up next! Fenway will be rockin’ come Friday night.

Agreed .... nevertheless respect to the A`s for an outstanding season ....

17 minutes ago, paul secor said:

A team wins 109 games and id an underdog? Hard to imagine that.

108 actually, but yeah, agreed.  Also, this will be the second time in just a couple of weeks that the Sox have faced Happ--if the series goes to five games, they'll have faced him three times in several weeks, and sooner or later they're going to solve him.  If Sale and Price pitch dominant games at home, Boston could easily go to NY up 2-0.  As of right now the betting odds favor the Red Sox.  Plus they have home-field advantage.  Boston won the season series 10 games to 9; I wonder if the trend of each team often winning in a lopsided fashion will continue in the ALDS.  

10-9 on the season. 98 wins built up against a lot of also-rans and a few contenders.

Sale looks terrible since his injury.

Price is always terrible against the Yankees.

There is no reason to think Happ's dominance magically changes. More likely he keeps the damage minimal and once any team reaches the jelly donut-soft bullpen its Katie-Bar-The-Door.

Yankees in four unless the bats are unstoppable.  That's the only way they convert all those wins to something truly memorable - if they bash like the '78 Sox, regardless of who is on the bump.  Unlikely in this day and age of dominating bullpen arms.

10 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Brewers 3 - Rockies 2

Come on, someone support the Brewers with me!!

I just visited my brother in Racine, where Brewer fever was running high. I was hoping for a Milwaukee-Chicago NLDS and as a Midwesterner would be happy to see Milwaukee run the table on the National League side of things. 👍