MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I don’t want to be mean to Indians fans, who are probably very unhappy right now, but it’s like the Astros swatted them aside. 

In today's game, that really that only happened after Clevinger came out of the game.  I thought he pitched really well, only giving up one run on Springer's HR in the 5th.

The Cleveland bullpen kind of fell apart though.  

Edited by Aggie87

Wow, what an embarrassment.  I saw this coming, but not quite this bad... so much cockiness and complacency from the Yankee fan-base after game 2, as if we had already freakin' won the ALDS.  Apparently Severino didn't know the start time for tonight's game and had to rush his bullpen session, which is a stupid, inexcusable mistake.  I think Boston would have hit him hard anyway, but gawd almighty... and Cora definitely improved the order by putting in Holt, Devers and Pearce.  And wtf was Boone thinking leaving Severino in after three innings?  He clearly didn't have it, and we were lucky to be down only 3-0 at that point.  People on Pinstripe Alley were going nuts when they saw that Boone was bringing him out for the 4th, and then he left him in for THREE batters that loaded the bases with nobody out and the top of the order coming up.  Worst managerial decision I've seen by a Yankee coach in a long, long time.  Now it's a 10-0 blowout and Boston won't even have to use Kimbrel tonight.  NY's put themselves in the position of (1) absolutely having to win tomorrow night, or go home for the year, and if they can pull that off, then (2) having to beat Chris Sale at Fenway.  

Congrats to the Stros who totally took care of business. Tribe had to rise up to the challenge, but basically only Lindor, Clevinger, and perhaps Carrasco showed up. Totally missing in action were Kluber, Ramirez, Donaldson, Miller, C Allen, to name just a few. Frustrating that Tribe lack of ultimate success has been attached to important starter injuries (Bauer, Carrasco, Cliff Lee...), but that’s how it rolls.

Go Stros, go Brew Crew!

I feel like either team is cannon fodder against the Astros.  If not for their blip during the rash of injuries, they'd be the top seed, IMO.

I have to admit I completely blanked on CC Sabathia as the 4th starter and was wondering how Happ would do on three days rest in an elimination game.  The important pieces of the Yankee bullpen is rested but I think the Red Sox have to stretch that out just by making CC work.  He's got to be on a short leash and they can't let him pitch into the 5th (the Sox I mean).

Comes down to the bats and Porcello changing his luck at Yankee Stadium, methinks.

Oh and the contemptible Angel Hernandez is behind the plate.  Barf.  When I saw all those replay reviews my immediate thought was what the hell is that guy even doing in a playoff game? Isn't it supposed to be merit?  If he has to serve on a crew put him in the outfield only.

Bad ump, worse ego.  And he calls balls and strikes.

Yeah, Angel had a game almost as bad as the Yankees... well, that’s a pretty bad level of bad to compete with, but I can’t imagine either team is happy at the thought of him behind the plate tonight. 

NY will be hoping for a lot simply to get a five-inning three-run start out of CC, but at least I’m confident that he’ll know the time the game starts. :rolleyes: They also have to hope that the bats can wake up against Porcello and that the DRob/Betances/Britton/Chapman train can hold any lead they might be able to attain. A lot of hoping that even if fulfilled leads to facing Chris Sale at Fenway for game 5. I think it’s a little less than 50-50 at best that such a game ever comes to pass. The Sox bounced back from a demoralizing game 2 loss and administered the worst beatdown any home squad has ever received in the history of the playoffs. That’s the sign of a tough team. Tonight it’s the Yankees’ turn to be tested.

10 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Yeah, Angel had a game almost as bad as the Yankees... well, that’s a pretty bad level of bad to compete with, but I can’t imagine either team is happy at the thought of him behind the plate tonight. 

NY will be hoping for a lot simply to get a five-inning three-run start out of CC, but at least I’m confident that he’ll know the time the game starts. :rolleyes: 

Everybody is denying that Severino was rushed.  I know they don't want to admit it but if its true that he warms up quickly then Darling may have invented something there.

Anyway I just studied CC's game logs since August 7

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3149/cc-sabathia

Take away September 15 vs Toronto and September 3 at Oakland, and you pretty much have CC pitching 5 to 6 innings and giving up 2 or fewer runs (one game in there he gave up 3 in six innings).  That's why I say make him work hard so Boone gives the hook early and everybody has to pitch longer than usual to piece it together.

I wonder what Angel's spray chart looks like. Does he squeeze pitchers or give terrible calls off the plate? If the latter, it will help CC minimize his pitch count.

Edited by Dan Gould

In the history of best-of-five series with the 2-2-1 format, clubs with a 2-1 lead going into Game 4 on the road have taken the series 19 of 27 times (70 percent). Of those 19 series victories, 15 ended in Game 4.

I can't figure out the rest of the breakdown so I'll just say that the safest thing is for the Sox to finish it tonight.

I am not sure about Cora's lineup moves this time, no not at all.

Holt who hit almost .300 against lefties this year, is back on the pine. Vazquez, who hasn't caught Porcello all year, is behind the dish. I don't doubt his defensive skills and his bat is a little better than Leon but who wants Porcello teaming up with a guy he hasn't pitched to all season?    

8 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I wonder what Angel's spray chart looks like. Does he squeeze pitchers or give terrible calls off the plate? If the latter, it will help CC minimize his pitch count.

News flash!  Angel Hernandez has been replaced as tonight's home-plate umpire.  Here's some video footage of the guy who's stepping in for him:

8 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I am not sure about Cora's lineup moves this time, no not at all.

Holt who hit almost .300 against lefties this year, is back on the pine. Vazquez, who hasn't caught Porcello all year, is behind the dish. I don't doubt his defensive skills and his bat is a little better than Leon but who wants Porcello teaming up with a guy he hasn't pitched to all season?    

I'm puzzled by those moves as well.  Consensus seemed to be that Leon would be catching Porcello tonight.  Does Holt have terrible lifetime numbers against CC or something?  In addition to the first-ever postseason cycle he nailed last night, wasn't he one of Boston's hottest hitters in September, too?  On the NY side Andujar and McCutchen are nowhere to be seen in tonight's starting lineup, and Hicks is leading off.  

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

News flash!  Angel Hernandez has been replaced as tonight's home-plate umpire.  Here's some video footage of the guy who's stepping in for him:

I'm puzzled by those moves as well.  Consensus seemed to be that Leon would be catching Porcello tonight.  Does Holt have terrible lifetime numbers against CC or something?  In addition to the first-ever postseason cycle he nailed last night, wasn't he one of Boston's hottest hitters in September, too?  On the NY side Andujar and McCutchen

No way! Hernandez's replacement is even worse... Joe West!

The worst umpire in my lifetime has to Eric Gregg, who assured the Marlins a playoff victory over the Braves with an ever expanding strike zone that gave Braves hitters two choices: swing at balls a foot off the plate or take them for called strikes. Thankfully this joker took part in a strike and was not among the rehires. 

Welp, turn out the lights, 2018 New York Yankees.  You were a very good 100-62 team, but you're no world champion contender and not in the same league as Boston and Houston.  Great rookie years by Andujar and Torres, an MLB team home-run record, but a lot of fodder for the hot-stove league, that's for damn sure.  Please start by getting a new hitting coach.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

It’s only the 5th inning David.  You and other Yankee fans know better but wouldn’t better starting pitching be the missing key?

Well, NY had better shift the momentum quickly--they've been completely dominated through the first half of this game. Starting pitching is certainly the place to begin, but I'm wary of the free agents that will be available, outside of Corbin.  (And even if Kershaw were to opt out, which I don't think he will, I'd be VERY skeptical of giving him a big deal when he's on the wrong side of 30 and has had back issues.)  Severino hopefully just needs another year to mature into a full-blown ace, and Tanaka can probably give us another couple of decent years.  I don't know where Montgomery is in terms of when he comes back from TJ surgery.  Happ might be worth taking a chance on for another year, if he's willing to sign for only that.  I don't think we'll see Sonny Gray again.  Not sure where Sheffield is in terms of his development.  I also think NY needs to hire a new hitting coach.

4 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

The worst umpire in my lifetime has to Eric Gregg, who assured the Marlins a playoff victory over the Braves with an ever expanding strike zone that gave Braves hitters two choices: swing at balls a foot off the plate or take them for called strikes. Thankfully this joker took part in a strike and was not among the rehires. 

An expanding strike zone and HOF Braves pitchers like Maddox and Smoltz—yes, that sounds familiar...

Kimbrel came in with a three-run lead and nearly blew the save.  He was throwing mostly junk, low and out of the zone.  Not that home plate ump Angel Hernandez was gonna give him any calls like he did the Yanks. (see: called strike three, end of inning for Bosox with bases loaded in top of 8th.)