MLB 2018: let the games begin!

My recollection — which could be wrong — was that although Gregg was not a good umpire he didn’t have a chip on his shoulder like Hernandez and West. Whenever I saw that Hernandez was going to ump a Met game, I groaned because he had it in for them. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Gregg was terrible at strike calling but definitely not a full-of-himself guy.  I remember when I lived in St. Louis on the last day of one season, final inning, Tom Brunanski ran out to LF and placed a hamburger on 3B, where Eric Gregg was umping. He finally noticed it and called time out, picked it up and went like he was going to take a bite, then laughed good-naturedly and handed it to the ballboy. Bruno was laughing uproariously at what he'd done.  

8 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Gregorious needs TJ surgery on his throwing arm. Supposed to be available for the 'bulk' of 2019. Injury occurred supposedly in second game of LDS.

Why hello there Manny Machado.

Whoa!  I had not seen that news... wouldn't be surprised if that at least includes the likelihood of NY going after Machado.  The priority still needs to be pitching, though--pursuing most likely Corbin and perhaps even Yankee-turned-Ray-turned-Red-Soxer Eovaldi.  

Looks like Price is slotted to start Game 2 at home against Houston?  As you pointed out, Dan, his stats line up much better against them than NY.  Easy to forget in all of the "can't-beat-the-yankees" hubbub that he was one of the best starting pitchers in the American League for the second half of 2018.

15 minutes ago, jazztrain said:

Keep your hands off of Eovaldi!

... just to keep him from pitching against us anymore! :g  I do wonder what NY will do re the shortstop situation.  Gleyber Torres is actually a natural shortstop, so they could move him over there for the first half of the season, and maybe resign Walker to play second base.  Defensively speaking, Machado is supposedly much better as a third baseman than a shortstop, but that would entail (a) Machado being willing to play third (he's said he wants to play ss) and (b) moving Andujar elsewhere--first base, maybe?  Left field?  I dunno.  Anyways... here's a preview of Houston vs Boston, and one of Milwaukee vs Los Angeles.  

Also, if this report is true, Kris Bryant is an idiot, IMO.  Maybe the landscape will be different in 2022 when he hits free agency, but he'll still be 30 years old by then, which is becoming a fatal milestone, contractually speaking, in modern-day baseball. 

Edited by ghost of miles

22 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Also, if this report is true, Kris Bryant is an idiot, IMO.  Maybe the landscape will be different in 2022 when he hits free agency, but he'll still be 30 years old by then, which is becoming a fatal milestone, contractually speaking, in modern-day baseball. 

yeah but you do see who his agent is. I am going to have to break that news to my Mom so she's aware he'll probably leave in a few years.  They need to win again while they got him.

As for Price, I would hope that the odds line up for him pitching well someday in October. I don't think the Astros are in his head like the Yankees but I also don't know how those better stats line up against Houston of the last two years vs earlier in his career when Price was a legit ace and Houston wasn't so awesome.

I didn’t have to resort to the web to know who Bryant’s agent is. I just knew.  In a couple of years Michael Conforto — who came alive in the second half after finally recovering from his horrific 2017 injury — will be eligible for FA and I’m afraid he will leave because, you guessed it, Boras is his agent. 

19 minutes ago, paul secor said:

I truly hope that the Yankees pass on Machado. I see him as another A-Rod (it's all about ME) type who will want a 10-12 year contract. Plus he looks like someone who will put on weight and lose mobility a few years from now.
Let Torres play shortstop until Didi is healthy, and use the money for starting pitching.

I'll tell you this, he's not a good SS (though a really good 3B), so the insistence on playing SS does scream ME.  Dude sure can hit, though.  

Hey things are looking up Yankee fans. Cashman said that a change of scenery would be good for Sonny Gray and good for the Yankees.  Will they get one bag of balls or two, now that they've declared their intentions?  

Anyway, addition by subtraction, I guess. Who was that pitcher in the 80s who couldn't hack it in NY but was pretty good elsewhere? I have no memory anymore ... Ed Whitson?

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

Yes, Ed Whitson. They will probably get a ball and a bat for him.

When you are a team like the Red Sox or the Yankees, you can afford to eat ($) your mistakes.  

I don't think there's a dollar loss there. He's got two years more as arbitration-eligible.  But he's probably damaged his rep enough that he's only going to be worth a couple of low level prospects. Or watch the Rays pick him up, if the Yankees DFA him, and then he tortures them as an "opener". :g

On one of the Astros forums there were people practically screaming for Hinch's head for not pulling Verlander as soon as he started issuing walks in the 5th inning. That got louder when he loaded up the bases and walked in a run, and when he was sent back out in the 6th, one guy almost had a stroke. I figured there was no way Verlander would repeat the woes of the previous inning, and sure enough, nine pitches later the side was retired.

The big difference between this year and last year is clearly the Astros' bullpen - last year it was more often than not ass-clenching time when the pen was called on, and no lead was safe. This year, it's a night-and-day difference with the additions of Pressly and Osuna, and with McCullers moved from starting to relief duty after a stint on the DL, you've got a lights-out pen that many teams would kill for. The only question mark is whether Rondon, who was left off the division series roster but added back for the ALCS, has fully regained the form he displayed earlier in the season when he was the unchallenged closer, before a string of putrid outings near the end of the season spiked his ERA by over a full point.