MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Night-and-day difference watching the Astros play the Red Sox as opposed to the Yankees.  Plate discipline, for starters.  Unfortunately, the NY Post has reported that Boone's entire coaching staff is coming back for 2019, which doesn't leave me feeling optimistic about the team changing its approach much.  

Boston's much-maligned pen has actually done a good job tonight, following another not-so-great outing from David Price--though Cora did have to lean on a starter again (Porcello this time) to pitch the 8th.  Kimbrel will be taking at least a two-run lead into the 9th; Sox have a good chance at going to Houston with the series tied.

Edited by ghost of miles

7 hours ago, Brad said:

Another adventure with Kimbrel. 

Cannot happen soon enough that he becomes somebody else's headache.

And Brad I have to say you were right when you opined that Kinsler is mostly  done.  At the time of the trade he was lacing some doubles and I figured Fenway could only help him find more of a power stroke. Instead I don't think he's hit a homer as a Red Sox and he looked overmatched, embarrassingly so, last night, and in other games against anyone with a lively fastball.

He can still field, work a walk, and steal a base. But he should have trouble finding work for next season unless its as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement.

So they move on to Houston but leave Sale behind in the hospital for some sort of stomach issue.  Great.

OTOH usually your 3 and 4 starters are the ones you worry about, but Eovaldi and Porcello are the only ones worth a shit. So maybe they send it back to Boston.

Edited by Dan Gould

6 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Brewers should be up 3 games to zero.

Blame it on some questionable relief pitching. 

On 10/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, Dan Gould said:

Cannot happen soon enough that he becomes somebody else's headache.

And Brad I have to say you were right when you opined that Kinsler is mostly  done.  At the time of the trade he was lacing some doubles and I figured Fenway could only help him find more of a power stroke. Instead I don't think he's hit a homer as a Red Sox and he looked overmatched, embarrassingly so, last night, and in other games against anyone with a lively fastball.

He can still field, work a walk, and steal a base. But he should have trouble finding work for next season unless its as a pinch-runner and defensive replacement.

So they move on to Houston but leave Sale behind in the hospital for some sort of stomach issue.  Great.

OTOH usually your 3 and 4 starters are the ones you worry about, but Eovaldi and Porcello are the only ones worth a shit. So maybe they send it back to Boston.

I doubt that he will find a job next year. Old guys get thrown on the scrap heap sooner these days. 

Let’s hope the Sox can win two out of the three down in Texas. 

If there's a weak link in the Astros rotation its Keuchel at 12-11, 3.74 era so the Sox need to get fully untracked with the bats. After that it's Morton, and after that no one knows if Sale is even up for a rematch against Verlander that, if they win one of the first two, will determine if they go to Fenway needing to win one, or if it's do-or-die.

9 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

At least one questionable pitch - the one (& so far only) home run that gave the Dodgers a 4-3 win in game 2.

Jeffress hasn’t been particularly impressive in this series (I didn’t see last night’s game) so you could say the Dodgers are unlucky to be down 2-1.  It could easily be the reverse. 

I don't think the Brewers are as great as they've been playing but it hardly matters since its October baseball.  I just think its sucks that the Cubs had it in their hands, gave it away, and that has gone a long way to help their chances since they have home field until the Series. 

and I will say this - two dome stadiums in the Series would suck, if its Astros vs Brewers. Pitchers licking their fingers and trying to execute pitches in the cold is what it's all about.  Short-sleeves - don't think so.

27 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I don't think the Brewers are as great as they've been playing but it hardly matters since its October baseball.  I just think its sucks that the Cubs had it in their hands, gave it away, and that has gone a long way to help their chances since they have home field until the Series. 

and I will say this - two dome stadiums in the Series would suck, if its Astros vs Brewers. Pitchers licking their fingers and trying to execute pitches in the cold is what it's all about.  Short-sleeves - don't think so.

Didn't realize you were such a "purist"!!

13 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Minute Maid Park has a retractable roof. But they're apparently going to keep the roof closed for all three of this week's games in Houston, which from the baseball purist POV doesn't sit well, especially since we're finally getting the first taste of fall in Houston this week with temps in the 50s and 60s. 

I don't have as much confidence in Keuchel as I do in the other starters (although to be fair his record this year is more a reflection of how uneven he was early in the season, and he has been mostly solid since then), but I certainly didn't expect Osuna to be the real weak link tonight. He's occasionally gotten into trouble since becoming the designated closer but has always managed to pitch out of it until tonight, and had likewise never given up a grand slam previously. Combine that with Cole's worst outing of the season in game 2, and we're setting the wrong kind of benchmarks at a very inopportune time. 

On to game 4 tomorrow, and hopefully a better performance by the home team.