MLB 2018: let the games begin!

Didn't know about the retractable roof but I would propose a requirement that unless weather is predicted to be inclement then the roof stays open.

To get thru the Sox have to ride the RH starters, it seems to me.  They have to keep the momentum up behind Porcello tonight and they could still end up leaning on Eovaldi in Game 7.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to bed around 1230 so I missed it. I just saw the play but I'm not completely convinced it was intentional; his turning around after he did it could be interpreted both ways. Reminds me of what Arod against the Sox except that was clearly intentional.  What I found amusing was his reaction when he called time, the umpire refused to give and he was struck out. He must have annoyed the ump for the ump to refuse to call time. 

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

I went to bed around 1230 so I missed it. I just saw the play but I'm not completely convinced it was intentional; his turning around after he did it could be interpreted both ways. Reminds me of what Arod against the Sox except that was clearly intentional.  What I found amusing was his reaction when he called time, the umpire refused to give and he was struck out. He must have annoyed the ump for the ump to refuse to call time. 

He's running so far outside the baseline he set it up for a collision. He had to know the legs were going to meet and could have adjusted his stride to avoid it, do a little spin move off the right foot.  It looked totally intentional to me.

It looked like he went in for the bro hug and the 1B wouldn't have anything of it.

Funny the Times talks about his baserunning hours before he pulled the latest BS move.

If the Yankees throw the cash at him he's going to be oodles of fun with the NY media:

Machado proceeded to stare at the reporter who asked the offending question for about 30 seconds, which was his way of declining to comment.

On Machado, I recall reading earlier this summer that GMs thought that both he and Harper would wind up on the Phillies. I hope not!

Besides the Yankees, I know that some radio announcers were hoping that the Mets would pursue him.  Considering that the owners are tightwads, I don’t see that happening. 

36 minutes ago, Brad said:

On Machado, I recall reading earlier this summer that GMs thought that both he and Harper would wind up on the Phillies. I hope not!

Besides the Yankees, I know that some radio announcers were hoping that the Mets would pursue him.  Considering that the owners are tightwads, I don’t see that happening. 

I'd honestly rather see the Yankees pursue Harper than Machado, even if Machado takes care of an immediate problem with Didi being out for at least half of 2019.  We have plenty of right-handed hitting as it is, and while Harper rubs me the wrong way sometimes too, he doesn't bring nearly the baggage that Machado apparently would--and he's got the short fence in right to swing for as well.  But I'm not sure where we'd put Harper, unless we tried him at first base (his stated willingness to play that position this summer was seen by some as a telegraph to the Yankees, who were going through their Greg Bird struggles at the time), or traded Aaron Hicks and put Harper in center.  I'm guessing that we won't pick up Gardner's option and that Stanton will see more time in LF next year.  More importantly, I think we need to pursue signing Patrick Corbin and possibly trying to lure Nathan Eovaldi back to NY as well.  OTOH Boone's entire coaching staff is coming back, which makes me less than optimistic that we'll be anything other than a super-talented under-achieving team again in 2019.  

I'm really enjoying the NLCS, by the way, what I've managed to catch of it.  On the AL side it's definitely a backs-to-the-wall moment for Houston--they do not want to go down 3-1 to the Sox with two out of three possible games left at Fenway.  Sounds like there's a decent chance that Chris Sale will start game 5.

Sox have to hope Morton is fallible and Porcello continues the pattern of righty starters doing well. There may be a chance Sale starts but if he does it sounds like he's hardly ready to be SALE again.  If the Sox lose tonight there are pretty good chances they return to Fenway with David Price trying to stave off elimination. <gulp>

Machado acts like a baby. Should be avoided at all cost IMHO. Petulant punk!!

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Didn't know about the retractable roof but I would propose a requirement that unless weather is predicted to be inclement then the roof stays open.

To get thru the Sox have to ride the RH starters, it seems to me.  They have to keep the momentum up behind Porcello tonight and they could still end up leaning on Eovaldi in Game 7.

Milwaukee has a retractable roof.

11 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Maybe during the playoffs, but not during the regular season.  It's 90-100 degrees out there for most of the summer, so the point of the roof in Houston is more to keep things air conditioned inside, instead of sweltering.  

Actually, maybe the Texas heat could be considered inclement.

1 minute ago, Aggie87 said:

I hope that terrible call on Altuve's 2 run HR isn't the difference in this game.  

Terrible how? There was fan interference. It was correctly decided. I understand as an Astros fan you wouldn’t be happy about it, though. 

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Terrible how? There was fan interference. It was correctly decided. I understand as an Astros fan you wouldn’t be happy about it, though. 

How?  Because Betts' arm and glove were over the wall and into the fan area.  By baseball rules (and confirmed by the announcers), that's not interference, but a home run.

From MLB's rules:

"No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. However, should a spectator reach out on the playing field side of such fence, railing or rope, and plainly prevent the fielder from catching the ball, then the batsman should be called out for the spectator’s interference."

Therefore the argument becomes whether Betts' arm and glove were over the wall/fence or not.  I believe they were.

I can understand if you're a Red Sox fan you might be relieved to be the recipient of an incorrect call that saved 2 runs.

I'm not a Red Sox fan so that's your first mistake.  From the replays it looks like his glove was level with the wall but the umpires both in the field and back in NY had a long good look at it -- probably a better look than you or I had -- so I think their judgment was the correct one.  Be that as it may the Astros seized the lead twice so it didn't cost them. 

Edited by Brad

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm not a Red Sox fan so that's your first mistake.  From the replays it looks like his glove was level with the wall but the umpires both in the field and back in NY had a long good look at it -- probably a better look than you or I had -- so I think their judgment was the correct one.  Be that as it may the Astros seized the lead twice so it didn't cost them. 

The replay officials "upheld" the call, meaning there wasn't enough evidence from the cameras to overturn Joe West's call.  It didn't confirm the call.  There's a distinction there.

It is what it is.  But I'll still argue if the Sox win by 1-2 runs, then the loss of that HR mattered.

7 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

The replay officials "upheld" the call, meaning there wasn't enough evidence from the cameras to overturn Joe West's call.  It didn't confirm the call.  There's a distinction there.

It is what it is.  But I'll still argue if the Sox win by 1-2 runs, then the loss of that HR mattered.

You're really splitting hairs here, Aggie. Baseball is not football, with "ruling on the field stands" and 'ruling on the field confirmed".  West went one way, and certainly could have gone the other way but he didn't.  If there was no clear view of whether his glove broke the plane of the fence, blame the security guy leaning over and blocking that view.

And since we're talking about old Country Joe, I meant to say yesterday that it seemed like he actually had a very good day at the plate.  I thought I saw maybe 2 or at most 3 off-the-plate strikes, and no egregious inside the zone balls. So bravo Joe! :g

They have to beat them with two lefties in a row, best part of the situation for the Astros.  And maybe best thing that happens for the Red Sox is if Kimbrel is unavailable. I'd trust Barnes right now a lot more than him to close out a win.  I hope the bats feel very loose and just get on top of Verlander and not let him dominate.

About the interference here are two stills. Neither are remotely obvious to me, though I'll certainly agree that if the call went the other way it would be hard to overturn.

Thanks again Joe! Gutsy call your colleague didn't have the nads to make before the legend of Jeter grew any more.

betts.JPG

Betts 002.JPG

13 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

Maybe during the playoffs, but not during the regular season.  It's 90-100 degrees out there for most of the summer, so the point of the roof in Houston is more to keep things air conditioned inside, instead of sweltering.  

Actually, maybe the Texas heat could be considered inclement.

All I was saying was October baseball under the stars, if practicable.

I am sure Fox is dreaming right now of Dodgers - Red Sox, what is it second and fourth markets?  And Red Sox Nation extends a lot further than Boston alone.

If the Dodgers met the Red Sox, it would be their first meeting in the WS since 1916 when the Red Sox beat Brooklyn, then known as the Robins, after their manager Wilbert Robinson, affectionately known as Uncle Robbie. Brooklyn did not officially become known as the Dodgers until 1932.

And in a more recent connection everybody knows about, Dave Roberts will get a rousing ovation at Fenway when introduced, if both teams make it thru. Don't see that very often, and usually its when the opposing fans are offering hearty appreciation for the "help" received from someone on the other roster.