MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dave James said:

Would someone please explain what Dave Roberts was thinking when he pulled Rich Hill?  Just to clarify, that's the same Rich Hill who had just thrown 6+ innings of one hit ball with seven strikeouts when he got the hook.  

Think Roberts wants to help Boston win another World Series. I've never liked the way Roberts manages, last year, when he called for a bunt in the 7th, during that 13-12 game, I was like 

-stick-a-fork-in-me-im-done-7dd58.png

3 hours ago, Dave James said:

Would someone please explain what Dave Roberts was thinking when he pulled Rich Hill?  Just to clarify, that's the same Rich Hill who had just thrown 6+ innings of one hit ball with seven strikeouts when he got the hook.  

Apparently Roberts said he was just going out to the mound to talk to Hill and didn't intend to pull him, but Hill assumed he was getting pulled and handed Roberts the ball before he could say anything, so Roberts went to the pen. 

If that's true, well...

After Aaron Bleeping-Boone broke our hearts in 2003, if you had told me the "cursed" Red Sox would win four of the next 15 World Championships, with the last one going thru a 100 win Yankee team managed by that same Aaron Bleeping-Boone, I would have wondered which of your six heads I should punch out. 

Glad no one can predict the future.. :g

As for Hill/Roberts, Hill said, "let's go batter to batter. Keep an eye on me."  I don't think it's at all surprising Hill would assume when he sees his manager come out that he's getting the hook.  He felt he was running on fumes, and had no internal fire (like, I don't know, Sale, Lester, Lackey, Schilling, all of whom would have barked at their manager that they "got this") to tell him he can finish.

6 hours ago, Brad said:

It's strange to see another name besides that of Angell on the byline of their annual Series wrapup. I guess this is a tacit acknowledgement that he's no longer able to manage even the shorter pieces he's done in recent years. 

4 minutes ago, Dave Garrett said:

It's strange to see another name besides that of Angell on the byline of their annual Series wrapup. I guess this is a tacit acknowledgement that he's no longer able to manage even the shorter pieces he's done in recent years. 

I had the same reaction. I always loved Angell’s elegies for the season just passed. 

It’s a close call in my book. Regardless, both rate among the best teams of all time. 2018 was a special year; they don’t come along often.  One article I saw rated the 98 Yankees number 4 among the top 50 of all time. Perhaps the Red Sox are right there as well. 

Edited by Brad

Interesting evalution—I’m inclined to give the nod to 1998 NY based on the info it cites (but then of course I am). Still, I’d say the three most dominant teams I’ve seen in my lifetime have been the 1975-76 Reds, the 1998 Yankees, and this year’s Red Sox. No reason they can’t reel off another title or two in the next several years... they’re well-positioned for it. And with the Yankees apparently refusing to make any changes in their coaching staff or approach, I don’t think it matters much who they sign or trade for in the off-season... they’ll again be an underachieving team that wins 95-100 games but can’t go the distance. Cora’s already proved that he’s a much better manager than Boone... still disappointed that Boston didn’t sign Varitek instead, Dan? :g 

Edited by ghost of miles

31 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Interesting evalution—I’m inclined to give the nod to 1998 NY based on the info it cites (but then of course I am). Still, I’d say the three most dominant teams I’ve seen in my lifetime have been the 1975-76 Reds, the 1998 Yankees, and this year’s Red Sox. No reason they can’t reel off another title or two in the next several years... they’re well-positioned for it. And with the Yankees apparently refusing to make any changes in their coaching staff or approach, I don’t think it matters much who they sign or trade for in the off-season... they’ll again be an underachieving team that wins 95-100 games but can’t go the distance. Cora’s already proved that he’s a much better manager than Boone... still disappointed that Boston didn’t sign Varitek instead, Dan? :g 

Speaking of did you see the awkward interactions between A-Rod and Varitek afterwards? Très awkward with Varitek kinda of eyeing A-Rod and then Alex asking him not to punch him. :)    (And Tek got fat in his old age.)  

Clearly Boston ultimately got the right "Alex" on the team, 14 years later.  He needs to win two more to exceed Tito though.

As far as well-positioned I am not entirely sure just because of the starters. Sale may only be here two more years and hasn't really proven himself across an entire season and post-season, Price isn't quite all that and a bag of chips, you never know about Porcello and Eovaldi probably signs elsewhere now. The core of the team is so young though, and JD is signed for a while and I can't imagine him opting out anytime soon.

That's the signing you should rib me about, I didn't like it one bit but he transformed the lineup.

52 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Speaking of did you see the awkward interactions between A-Rod and Varitek afterwards? Très awkward with Varitek kinda of eyeing A-Rod and then Alex asking him not to punch him. :)    (And Tek got fat in his old age.)  

Clearly Boston ultimately got the right "Alex" on the team, 14 years later.  He needs to win two more to exceed Tito though.

As far as well-positioned I am not entirely sure just because of the starters. Sale may only be here two more years and hasn't really proven himself across an entire season and post-season, Price isn't quite all that and a bag of chips, you never know about Porcello and Eovaldi probably signs elsewhere now. The core of the team is so young though, and JD is signed for a while and I can't imagine him opting out anytime soon.

That's the signing you should rib me about, I didn't like it one bit but he transformed the lineup.

Oh, I remember re JD! ☺️ He really did work out splendidly for you guys, though, and from what I’ve read he also ended up serving as somewhat of a hitting mentor to his teammates. I really do think, given how young the outfield core is, and how Sale and Martinez are still in their prime (and Price not that far removed) that Boston has a window of opportunity to duplicate NY’s 1998-2000 run of three titles in a row. You know the team much more deeply than I do, but seems your off-season priorities might be resigning Eovaldi and sizing up possible set-up relievers for Kimbrel? (He’s got one more year on his contract, correct?) Anybody on the free-agent market in general that you’d like to see Boston pursue? What about the infield?

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

1975 Reds? The team that was practically gifted a win by umpire Larry Barnett for failing to call an obvious catcher interference on Ed Armbrister? Yeah, I know that MLB continues to say it was correct. Bunk. The rule states it's not interference "Barring an intentional action on the part of either player". Ed Armbrister intentionally stopped in front of Fisk. There was nothing unintentional about it. He says he wanted to see if the ball was fair or foul. Where does the rule say that you can intentionally block a player if you think the ball may be foul? It doesn't.

FYI - that call soured me on MLB for years. That sure looked like the fix was in on that one. I still barely watch the games on TV, preferring to catch a game or two at Fenway every year. This year, I saw my first game up on the Green Monster. Bucket list box checked. :)

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

This year, I saw my first game up on the Green Monster. Bucket list box checked. :)

I hope you went during the day or after the evening chill is gone. When my wife and I got seats in 2005 it was so cold up there, my wife must have made four trips to get chowder. And metal tables get damn cold too - and this was in June!

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

You know the team much more deeply than I do, but seems your off-season priorities might be resigning Eovaldi and sizing up possible set-up relievers for Kimbrel? (He’s got one more year on his contract, correct?) Anybody on the free-agent market in general that you’d like to see Boston pursue? What about the infield?

I'll move my answer to the hot stove thread ...

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I hope you went during the day or after the evening chill is gone. When my wife and I got seats in 2005 it was so cold up there, my wife must have made four trips to get chowder. And metal tables get damn cold too - and this was in June!

Front row Green Monster seats are harder to get these days. I took the first one I could and went on April 11th to a game they lost to the Yankees. It was 42 degrees at game time and got colder and windier as the game progressed. It was so cold, I had to buy winter hats for me & my daughter. Surprise, the stadium kiosks were selling them. :)

30582361_10156369215672146_1304295522420

This was obviously before we had to don our winter hats but note we already had on our winter coats. :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

5 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Front row Green Monster seats are harder to get these days. I took the first one I could and went on April 11th to a game they lost to the Yankees. It was 42 degrees at game time and got colder and windier as the game progressed. It was so cold, I had to buy winter hats for me & my daughter. Surprise, the stadium kiosks were selling them. :)

30582361_10156369215672146_1304295522420

This was obviously before we had to don our winter hats but note we already had on our winter coats. :)

Nice photo Kevin :)

9 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I have seen at least one article speculating that the Astros may try to sign Eovaldi, although that may well have been wishful thinking.

It sure would be nice, though, as we are facing the potential loss of 3/5 of our starting rotation. Keuchel and Morton are free agents, and Keuchel will almost certainly opt to cash in on a big payday elsewhere. He has earned it, as he was one of the few bright spots in the rebuilding years of 100-loss seasons. Morton is a bit more likely to return, as he's said he would like to retire as an Astro and will probably only pitch for 1-2 more seasons anyway, but he might have to take less money to remain. And after McCullers' uneven performance during the postseason, he implied that the arm issues that sidelined him toward the end of the year were more serious than had previously been disclosed and might require surgery in the offseason. Rumor has it that it's TJ surgery that's being discussed, in which case he'd be out for the entire upcoming season. 

It could be worse, though, as we still have Verlander and Cole, as well as a couple of guys (McHugh and Peacock) who pitched out of the bullpen this year but were formerly starters. But Verlander and Cole will likewise both be free agents after next year. I can't help but shake the feeling that this year was the Astros' best chance at another title. Unfortunately, it also happened to be the year they ran into a historically great Boston team.  

On 10/30/2018 at 11:08 PM, Dave Garrett said:

On 10/30/2018 at 11:13 PM, ghost of miles said:

I had the same reaction. I always loved Angell’s elegies for the season just passed. 

He’s got a piece in today’s New Yorker but it’s not about baseball but about voting.  He’s 98 and legally blind so that may be why he doesn’t write baseball articles anymore.

Get Up and Go Vote