MLB 2018: let the games begin!

I liked Eovaldi when he pitched for the Yanks. He's had a history of injuries over his career, but he's always had a live arm when healthy. Good pick up for the Sox. I wonder if the Yanks will face pitching by committee tonight.
I think that Kevin Cash deserves some votes for manager of the year, to have that team playing over .500 ball.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, paul secor said:

I liked Eovaldi when he pitched for the Yanks. He's had a history of injuries over his career, but he's always had a live arm when healthy. Good pick up for the Sox. I wonder if the Yanks will face pitching by committee tonight.
I think that Kevin Cash deserves some votes for manager of the year, to have that team playing over .500 ball.

They already did. Six pitchers held them to two runs and the Rays took the rubber game 3-2.

With all these trades going on days before the 'deadline' will there be anything to report by 4 pm on the 31st?

Not that ESPN and MLB Network won't fill up the broadcast time with a lot of air but it seems like there's a trend toward earlier trades and this year the biggest names are already moved.

Can someone explain to me the derivation of the "all-important loss column"?  You win, you lose, and sometimes it rains. Why are losses referenced during pennant chases?  The Red Sox have played three more games than the Yanks, but they have seven more wins. We've banked wins at a faster clip. Why is it important that the lead is four in the loss column when its seven in the win column?

(Not that it matters but as the season has gone on, I've watched as the Red Sox have, I believe, been the first to every single "round number" win mark with the exception of first to 50 wins. That coincided with a bit of a slump and a Houston surge.  Pretty amazing how consistent they've been all season.  I just hope they aren't the second-coming of the Mariners.)

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

(Not that it matters but as the season has gone on, I've watched as the Red Sox have, I believe, been the first to every single "round number" win mark with the exception of first to 50 wins. That coincided with a bit of a slump and a Houston surge.  Pretty amazing how consistent they've been all season.  I just hope they aren't the second-coming of the Mariners.)

The 2001 Mariners, I assume you mean?  Re NY's great-but-not-good-enough-W-L record so far, in a discussion at Pinstripe Alley the other day I referenced the 1954 Cleveland Indians.  Of course there was no wild card back then (and Cleveland ended up getting drubbed by the Giants in the World Series).  Still, Boston will hold home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and won't have to face the possibility of having a strong season erased in a single night.  With Eovaldi now in their rotation, they're looking even better.  I'll be interested to see if they make any moves today or tomorrow, to pick up an infielder or reliever... on the latter front Roberto Osuna is reportedly on the trading block (and would be eligible to pitch in the postseason), but it sounds as if the Red Sox might end up acquiring the Marlins' Brad Ziegler instead.  (I wonder if the Astros or Mariners will make a bid for Osuna.)

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Watched the Ted Williams American Masters show last night and felt well-rewarded.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/ted-williams-greatest-hitter-ever-lived-film/10293/

I hipped that to my dad, but he was already on the case (he's a huge Ted Williams fan).  Did you ever read Williams' autobiography, My Turn At Bat?  I read it as a kid and recall it being better than your average baseball-player-memoir.  (An interesting genre in and of itself--some of my other favorites include Jim Bouton's Ball Four and Sparky Lyle's The Bronx Zoo.)

EDIT:  I didn't realize that an updated edition came out in the late 1980s that included Williams' reflections on his managerial career and the state of modern-day baseball.  

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

The 2001 Mariners, I assume you mean?  Re NY's great-but-not-good-enough-W-L record so far, in a discussion at Pinstripe Alley the other day I referenced the 1954 Cleveland Indians.  Of course there was no wild card back then (and Cleveland ended up getting drubbed by the Giants in the World Series).  Still, Boston will hold home-field advantage throughout the playoffs and won't have to face the possibility of having a strong season erased in a single night.  With Eovaldi now in their rotation, they're looking even better.  I'll be interested to see if they make any moves today or tomorrow, to pick up an infielder or reliever... on the latter front Roberto Osuna is reportedly on the trading block (and would be eligible to pitch in the postseason), but it sounds as if the Red Sox might end up acquiring the Marlins' Brad Ziegler instead.  (I wonder if the Astros or Mariners will make a bid for Osuna.)

As I recall Ziegler didn't show much the first time they acquired him at the deadline. He's certainly having a lot of success at the moment.  They definitely have to get bullpen help before infield.

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

And the Astros win the Roberto Osuna sweepstakes.  That attends to their biggest weakness, IMO (lack of a strong closer).

This caught me by surprise - I"m happy that Ken Giles is no longer on this team.  That's addition by subtraction, I think.  Hopefully a change of scenery helps Giles regain his stuff.  He's been lost in his own head for a year now.

Osuna still has the remainder of his 75 game suspension I think though - or is that effectively over now?  

As an Astros fan I like his talent on paper, but I'm apprehensive about adding him to this roster, based on the domestic violence charge.  Admittedly I haven't read enough about him to have a strong opinion there right now.