MLB 2018: let the games begin!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but with a not-horrible start that ended with a team win, followed by an excellent start in a pennant-clincher, he's clearly an improving post-season pitcher. 

Damn Mr. Pessimism is looking at the bright side for a guy I still despise, only partially for that gigantic contract and the overall results. :g

52 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Yes but with a not-horrible start that ended with a team win, followed by an excellent start in a pennant-clincher, he's clearly an improving post-season pitcher.

Which "not-horrible start"? Are you talking about game 3 against the Astros where he pitched 4.2 innings and gave up 4 earned runs or game 2 against the Yankees when he pitched 1.2 innings and gave up 3 earned runs? :)

3 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Which "not-horrible start"? Are you talking about game 3 against the Astros where he pitched 4.2 innings and gave up 4 earned runs or game 2 against the Yankees when he pitched 1.2 innings and gave up 3 earned runs? :)

That was game 2, not game 3 of the ALCS, and yes, that's the one. An out away from being the pitcher of record ain't so bad.

31 minutes ago, paul secor said:

It is when you're making 30 mil. a year.

Especially since the Red Sox are still on the hook for this:

Year  Age    Salary

2019  33     $31,000,000

2020  34     $32,000,000

2021  35     $32,000,000

And that's after paying him $30,000,000 for the last 3 years.

One of the worst signings in Sox history.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

It is when you're making 30 mil. a year.

Small steps Paul. You think Whitey Ford was Whitey Ford overnight?

Don't answer that.

:g

And for the record I always said it was an awful signing.  Winning it all this year, with Price as WS MVP wouldn't change that.

Dan, I respectfully disagree!  So few cities win a championship (in any sport) over the course of 20 years that I think any money expenditure is worthwhile when the championship is won.

Talk to your Red Sox friends of 2002!  Talk to the people of Cleveland of three years ago!  Talk to the people of Winnipeg today!

Edited by GA Russell

14 hours ago, sonnymax said:

b8ea8d8d1b3496c852f7bc812cf62e2a.jpg

Yeah, you're right - I should just be happy that the Red Sox are winning.

But I really can't muster up much love for David Price after all the stuff this stiff said about Dennis Eckersley. If he was an NFL football player, he would've been cut by now but because of baseball's crazy guaranteed contracts, we're stuck listening to his shtick for another 3 years.

16 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Yeah, you're right - I should just be happy that the Red Sox are winning.

But I really can't muster up much love for David Price after all the stuff this stiff said about Dennis Eckersley. If he was an NFL football player, he would've been cut by now but because of baseball's crazy guaranteed contracts, we're stuck listening to his shtick for another 3 years.

Others have to "carry" Ellsbury .... the beauty of long contracts is lingering (nearly) anywhere ....

Edited by soulpope

Interesting reasons why the Sox might prefer to get the Brewers:  Better against righties than lefties and the Dodgers have three lefty starters; better against fastballs and the Brewers throw more of them; relievers haven't always been around the plate and the Dodgers are the most patient.  There are a couple more reasons here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/which-team-should-the-red-sox-want-to-play/c-299365554

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I hate to say it but Jeffress strikes again. Brewers have their work cut out for them. 

They (the Brewers) only scored one run anyway. I would have brought Knebel in instead of Jeffress & followed with Woodruff - but if you don't score you don't win.

MLB must be hitting its knees.  A bi-coastal World Series between old school teams with huge fan bases is just what the doctor ordered. The only thing that could have pleased Rob Manfred more would have been a Yankee Dodger Series.  I won't be rooting for either team.  Not a Sox fan and my twin brother loves the Dodgers.  

Maybe Sale will get a belly button ring if they win.  Did anyone really report that as a legit explanation? Seems like most of the media got the joke. 

In other news:

Opposing manager will get huge ovation for each pre-game at Fenway - Cora could get some polite applause since he played for the Dodgers;

Stephen Wright is eligible for the roster and is under consideration pending proof that he can move off the mound for defense and throw a simulated game;

Betts might play 2B at Dodger Stadium, since JD has to play the field to be in the lineup;

Kimbrel may have been tipping his slider which was spotted by none other than Eric Gagne, late-season near-disastrous pick up by the 2007 World Champs and supposedly corrected before Game 5. I am not sure it really matters as the guy still has to command both pitches and he so often loses that command.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:04 PM, Brad said:

Pretty soon both teams will have been in California longer than in NY.  Both teams were established in 1883 so they played 75 years in NY and have played 61 years so far in California. The people who remember them playing in NY is dwindling. Although my Mother was a Giants fan and my Father a Dodger fan and I was born in 1950, because we lived overseas in the 50s I never saw them play in NY, except against the Mets in the 60s. 

As luck would have it, I ran across a related anecdote over the weekend. Any doubts I may have previously harbored regarding how seriously these things were regarded in New York back in the day have been laid to rest. 

44784251274_f431fbbf8b_o.jpg