Seldon Powell Sextet (Roost 2220)

Mark Stryker

This record just made it on to my radar. Lord disocgraphy says 1956, which would make by a couple of years the earliest Roland Hanna on record. Yet I don't see it listed in discogs, and I'm confused as to why I didn't pick it up some months ago when I last was looking into Hanna. Anybody know anything about this or have a copy that gives any clues about exactly when it was recorded or mentions Roland in the liner notes?

New York, 1956
  Woody'n you Roost LP2220, Fresh Sound (Sp)FSR-CD93 [CD]
  She's funny that way (jc out)      -                   -
  11th hour blues      -                   -
  Button nose      -                   -
  Missy's melody      -                   -
  I'll close my eyes (jc out)      -                   -
  A flower is a lovesome thing (jc out)      -                   -
  It's a crying shame      -                   -
Note: Fresh Sound (Sp)FSR-CD93 [CD] titled "Seldon Powell Sextet Featuring Jimmy Cleveland"; see flwg session for rest of CD.

This is all I have, repeats the above:

SELDON POWELL SEXTET NYC. 1956

Eight titles:Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Seldon Powell (ts), Roland Hanna (p), Freddie Green (g), Aaron Bell (b), Osie Johnson (dm).) NYC. 1956

Four titles: As above except Gus Johnson (dm) replaces Osie Johnson. 

Bought this on LP back then. Very good stuff.

A later nice taste of Powell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDYRJZT3WMg

Early 60's hard bop session lead by drummer Bill English, with Dave Burns, Seldon Powell, Martin Rivera and Lloyd Mayers.
Fly Me To The Moon
Rollin'
Heavy Soul
7th Ave Bill
A Blues Serenade
Sel's Tune
Makin' Whoopee 

7 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

This record just made it on to my radar. Lord disocgraphy says 1956, which would make by a couple of years the earliest Roland Hanna on record. Yet I don't see it listed in discogs, and I'm confused as to why I didn't pick it up some months ago when I last was looking into Hanna. Anybody know anything about this or have a copy that gives any clues about exactly when it was recorded or mentions Roland in the liner notes?

New York, 1956
  Woody'n you Roost LP2220, Fresh Sound (Sp)FSR-CD93 [CD]
  She's funny that way (jc out)      -                   -
  11th hour blues      -                   -
  Button nose      -                   -
  Missy's melody      -                   -
  I'll close my eyes (jc out)      -                   -
  A flower is a lovesome thing (jc out)      -                   -
  It's a crying shame      -                   -
Note: Fresh Sound (Sp)FSR-CD93 [CD] titled "Seldon Powell Sextet Featuring Jimmy Cleveland"; see flwg session for rest of CD.

I have the Fresh Sound facsimile reissue LP of this one (FSR-588 - it has all 12 tracks indicated by L. Kart above). The back cover gives the pianist als "Hac" Hanna in the line-up listing and as Roland "Hac" Hanna in the liner notes by Barry Ulanov. But no reording date is given either.

I recently acquired  this Fresh Sounds CD titled - Seldon Powell Nonet and Sextet - Go First Class - The Complete Roost Sessions.

This CD has 20 tracks. It includes the 1956 material with Jimmy Cleveland and Roland Hanna.

Also included is the Nonet  material with Jimmy Nottingham, Bob Alexander, Pete Mondello, Heywood Henry, Tony Aless, Billy Bauer, Arnold Fishpond and Don Lamond. This nonet material is dated October,24 and November 14, 1955 

• 2 years later...
On 2/24/2018 at 8:18 PM, Larry Kart said:

This is all I have, repeats the above:

SELDON POWELL SEXTET NYC. 1956

Eight titles:Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Seldon Powell (ts), Roland Hanna (p), Freddie Green (g), Aaron Bell (b), Osie Johnson (dm).) NYC. 1956

Four titles: As above except Gus Johnson (dm) replaces Osie Johnson. 

Bought this on LP back then. Very good stuff.

A later nice taste of Powell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDYRJZT3WMg

Early 60's hard bop session lead by drummer Bill English, with Dave Burns, Seldon Powell, Martin Rivera and Lloyd Mayers.
Fly Me To The Moon
Rollin'
Heavy Soul
7th Ave Bill
A Blues Serenade
Sel's Tune
Makin' Whoopee 

Good stuff ! I don't have a record player, and found this album on Qobuz: https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/bill-english-bill-english/0015700912751

Edited by "Vanguard Digital Vault". There is no CD issue referenced on Discogs. Wondering whether this is an LP "rip". Anyone familiar with those releases ?

Purchased :) 

Lame cover art on Qobuz to be replaced... Here are nice size front and back covers of the LP: https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/bill-english-bill-english-54384

By the way, Jan Evensmo has a nice "solography" of Seldon Powell here: http://www.jazzarcheology.com/seldon-powell/

Here is the Discogs entry for the album mentionned in the first post of the thread: https://www.discogs.com/Seldon-Powell-Sextet-Featuring-Jimmy-Cleveland-Seldon-Powell-Sextet-Featuring-Jimmy-Cleveland/master/665788

Edited by hopkins

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

By the way, Jan Evensmo has a nice "solography" of Seldon Powell here: http://www.jazzarcheology.com/seldon-powell/

From that document:

BOB WILBER NYC. ca. 1960/61 Personnel including Bob Wilber (ts?, comp, arr), Seldon Powell (ts), Hilton Jefferson, Jerome Richardson, (as) and others. Eight titles were recorded for Music Minus One 4006 (cannot find this in Lord), issued as “For Saxes Only!”. Lots of tenorsax playing here, but difficult to note down, and who is it? Seems to be the same artist on all items.

No, not that difficult. One side of the LP is "minus" alto, and all tenor solos are heard naturally. Wilber plays some, Powell plays some. Their styles are not hard to distinguish.

Judging by how they "minus" the instruments, It seems like they had mikes on everybody and then pulled down whichever one was playing the "minus"-ed part. Sometimes it's the lead alto, sometimes the 2nd. Same thing with the tenor side, sometimes you're playing Wilber's part, sometime Powell's.

The cool (kinda) thing is that there's enough occasional leakage on the each side that you can confirm 100% that it's the same performances on both sides. That, and the solos that you, the at-home player, are being asked to play are transcribed and notated in the play-along chart. So if you want to learn a Powell, solo, you just listen to the "minus alto" side and boom, there it is. I mean, you can still hear it on the minus tenor side but just as leakage. On the minus alto side, it's there, just like a regular record. Listen to one side, read the part from the chart for the other side.

Minus tenor (and this is one where Powell solos, so he's not hear hear, you play his part):

Now, same performance, minus alto, with Powell heard fully: