Jazz pianist with amazing left hands.

Hardbopjazz

51srlOKpbYL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's kind of like marveling about a bassist who bows as good as they pluck...shouldn't be as "exceptional" as it is, really. And once upon a time, wasn't.

For me, a left hand can act independently of the right one, that type of independence between limbs, , that's really going there.

If you want to hear the connection between Cecil Taylor and Horace Silver, it's the left hand.

Sort of depends on your definition of "amazing." Pianists with extensive classical training tend to have active and independent left hands with more facility and the ability to play counterpoint. Tatum, Roland Hanna and Brad Mehldau come to mind. That's a very different notion of "amazing" than, say Silver or Weston, whose distinctive left hands are used in the service of their own (sometimes idiosyncratic) sound world. One's not better than the other, but we're talking about difference roots and different aesthetics. I mean, Tommy Flanagan had an amazing way of orchestrating details on the piano that brought his  left hand into full play, even though he was "right-handed" pianist in terms of letting this right hand carry the melody ala Bud. 

Complicated question.

Edited by Mark Stryker

27 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

Sort of depends on your definition of "amazing." Pianists with extensive classical training tend to have active and independent left hands with more facility and the ability to play counterpoint. Tatum, Roland Hanna and Brad Mehldau come to mind. That's a very difference notion of "amazing" than, say Silver or Weston who have distinctive left hands and use them in the service of their own (sometimes idiosyncratic) sound world. One's not better than the other, but we're talking about difference roots and different aesthetics. I mean, Tommy Flanagan had an amazing way of orchestrating details on the piano that brought his  left hand into full play, even though he was "right-handed" pianist in terms of letting this right hand carry the melody ala Bud. 

Complicated question.

Maybe the intention of the thread starter just was to highlight the opposite of those who might have been asked by Lester Young where their "left people" were (as the anecdote goes). :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve

12 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Maybe the intention of the thread starter just was to highlight the opposite of those who might have been asked by Lester Young where their "left people" were (as the anecdote goes). :D

I don't know what the intention of the thread starter was, but I had the feeling that sooner or later every pianist in jazz history would be mentioned.

20 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Sort of depends on your definition of "amazing." Pianists with extensive classical training tend to have active and independent left hands with more facility and the ability to play counterpoint. Tatum, Roland Hanna and Brad Mehldau come to mind. That's a very different notion of "amazing" than, say Silver or Weston, whose distinctive left hands are used in the service of their own (sometimes idiosyncratic) sound world. One's not better than the other, but we're talking about difference roots and different aesthetics. I mean, Tommy Flanagan had an amazing way of orchestrating details on the piano that brought his  left hand into full play, even though he was "right-handed" pianist in terms of letting this right hand carry the melody ala Bud. 

Complicated question.

Great point.  Mehldau has one of the most astonishing left hands I've ever heard, particularly on "Live in Tokyo" or "10 Years Solo Live" and that's a very different way of using it than Horace Silver.  When I think of a great left hand I'm thinking about the ability to frame the harmony, or create a strong percussive accent.

On 2/26/2018 at 0:41 PM, Mark Stryker said:

Pianists with extensive classical training tend to have active and independent left hands with more facility and the ability to play counterpoint.

In that regard, Helen Sung comes to mind -- who started as a classical player, and got her undergrad and master's degrees (both of them) in classical piano performance at UT Austin.

I think Jason Moran has also had some and maybe a fair bit of classical training, and I think his hand-independence is a big feature in his playing (though in quite a different way than Sung's).

For my money, Mehldau, Moran, and Sung may be among the very best and/or most interesting jazz pianists of their generation.  I've heard Helen live 2-3 times back in Kansas City (couple times as a 'sideman' - including one time backing Greg Tardy) -- and twice here in DC (incl. once with Gary Thomas in her band!) -- and she's always amazing.

Where does Vijay Iyer fit into this topic?  (I must confess, though I've seen his trio live once here in DC a few years ago, I really don't know his music.)  My sense is that he's not as technically adept, however amazing he may be in other areas of his skill-set (including playing, though more from the "Andrew Hill" school maybe).

I know Moran also comes out of that Hill-school too (very much so), but I think Moran's technical fluidity and pure 'skills' are (maybe much?) stronger than Hill's.  Which is to say that Hill did a LOT of independent-handed stuff, but not as 'adeptly' as those with more formal training.

Moran also studied with Jaki Byard - where does he fit into all this??

Edited by Rooster_Ties