Dexter would have been 95 today.

Hardbopjazz

51 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

This is provided by Eric Reed. Dexter's set list to for one of his gigs. I wonder what the number next to the tunes represents? Time to spin some LTD.

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: text

Choruses to be taken?

I think its cool that he was still playing Hanky Panky though I can't recall a latter-period live set that includes that tune.

Or Mcsplivins for that matter.

I´ve heard also recordings from his Village Vanguard 2 sets exactly on his 60´th Birthday.

Yes I remember on the spring tour 1980 Rufus Reid and George Cables had left and Kirk Leightsey was the new pianist and I think John Heard, who is a very very good bass player, was kind of a fill in, he didn´t stay long but was very good.

Actually I saw the group in March 1980 at TU Vienna and as I remember the first tune was " It´s You Or No One" (he announced it as a "CBS Plagiate") , followed by "Fried Bananas", "More Than You Know" and "Backstairs" (at least that´s what I can remember after 38 years) .

One year later I saw him at Velden with allready young Dave Eubanks on bass, I was late and just caught them for Ginger Bread Boy and Body and Soul which I think was the encore.

The last time was early 1983 just a few weeks before his 60th birthday and the set was similar to the above mentioned Vangard selections:
1) Secret Love
2) More than you know
3) Good Bait (Dexter didn´t play that often, and if he played it quite slow, as he did 1969 in Amsterdam at the Paradise)
4) Jelly Jelly Jelly (with the Eckstine vocals) into LTD .

It´s a shame there´s still not the promised biography about his live. The homepage about him I think it´s just very commercial, pay here, pay there.......

Anyway, Dexter was something like a hero of our youth. We spent all our money to get all the Steeple Chase records. We imitated his voice, we memorized his announcements, we made trips with wrecked cars on bad streets all night long just to catch him on a live date.....

On 2/27/2018 at 0:41 PM, Dan Gould said:

Choruses to be taken?

I think its cool that he was still playing Hanky Panky though I can't recall a latter-period live set that includes that tune.

Or Mcsplivins for that matter.

Eric Reed said those are numbers for the charts. Pull out chart 12. 

Edited by Hardbopjazz

On 27.2.2018 at 10:23 PM, Cyril said:

Was this the same concert or tour?

Maybe, but the performance of Dexter Gordon at the 11. Internationale Jazzwoche (11th International Jazz Week) in Burghausen was already on March 13, 1980, the gig in Göttingen much later on October 15, 1980. Possibly there is a connection to the gig in Hamburg at "Onkel Pö", because Göttingen is not far away. Unfortunately I do not know the exact date there:

Rein de Graaff wrote a book, something like "Bebop life" but as I know in Dutch so it would be hard to read it. Excerps or memories about Dex, about touring with him are in the liner notes of a CD/DVD set from "Northsea 1979". About the hard job to take care of Dex that he wouldn´t loose his money, drink too much etc. ...., and one thing was once on tour Dex woke up in the night and asked Rein if his wife could make a tea (!?) for him, and when Rein de Graaff told him they on tour Dex said "this tour is going too fast, man"......

30 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Rein de Graaff wrote a book, something like "Bebop life" but as I know in Dutch so it would be hard to read it. Excerps or memories about Dex, about touring with him are in the liner notes of a CD/DVD set from "Northsea 1979". About the hard job to take care of Dex that he wouldn´t loose his money, drink too much etc. ...., and one thing was once on tour Dex woke up in the night and asked Rein if his wife could make a tea (!?) for him, and when Rein de Graaff told him they on tour Dex said "this tour is going too fast, man"......

Gheorghe, do you have this book?  I'm reading it right now.... :) Yes, Dex was asking for a cup of tea (in the morning), Rein told Dex:  'We aren't at home in Veendam but somewhere in the middle of Germany. ......a.s.o. Rein was always sleeping in the same room, so he can look after Dex. Looking for his passport, his money and keeping him away from alcohol...."Gordon Blue? Give me that !" Dexter in a restaurant. 

But after all Dexter was always a true gentleman..!!!

This is the book. Witten by Coen de Jonge.

thumbnail?width=320&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdat

47 minutes ago, Cyril said:

Gheorghe, do you have this book?  I'm reading it right now.... :) Yes, Dex was asking for a cup of tea (in the morning), Rein told Dex:  'We aren't at home in Veendam but somewhere in the middle of Germany. ......a.s.o. Rein was always sleeping in the same room, so he can look after Dex. Looking for his passport, his money and keeping him away from alcohol...."Gordon Blue? Give me that !" Dexter in a restaurant. 

But after all Dexter was always a true gentleman..!!!

This is the book. Witten by Coen de Jonge.

thumbnail?width=320&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdat

Looks very interesting ..... in english language ?