Johnny Hodges BUENOS AIRES BLUES/ELEVENTH HOUR

ghost of miles

Has anybody ever heard these two sessions?  I went ahead and ordered the CD because I'm curious and I love Hodges, so... 

Johnny Hodges Buenos Aires Blues/Eleventh Hour

The first album apparently came out at one time as Previously Unreleased Recordings and finds Hodges in the company of Lalo Schifrin, while the big band on Eleventh Hour is arranged and conducted by Oliver Nelson.

I bought both when issued and dumped Eleventh Hour - the only Hodges I haven't kept, but this was 50 years ago. Haven't listened to the other one in years. Time to pull it out.

FWIW the personnel on the "Previously Unreleased Recordings" is Hodges, Schifrin, Barry Galbraith, George Duvivier and Dave Baker.ZZ61WkodEfX7L._SL1280_.jpg

Edited by Chuck Nessa

23 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I like Eleventh Hour, but more as a mood music album than as jazz. A couple of years ago I posted about enjoying it and someone here kind of slapped my hand.

Whoever did that to you was morally abusive and physically wrong.

I like that record a lot, I like Oliver Nelson's writing on it a lot. Hell yeah it's a "mood" record, clearly designed for airplay and other such commercial exposures, So, Nelson being Nelson, he goes along for the most part, just dropping the odd "fuck you"s here and there there and then getting out before anybody who might be offended but isn't smart enough to hear it catches it, and all after this glorious opening cut:

Me, I can stop the record after that cut, or not, but ok, "easy listening", that is not. "Jazz with strings", that is, but ok, Johnny Hodges, ballads album for commercial consumption, start it oof with "Something to Live For", if you're expecting this for the opening cut, you have waaaaay higher expectations than anybody has a right to have! No matter how much "settling in" happens afterwards, this is the opening volley. point more than made.