Dexter´s stage announcements

Gheorghe

Fitting to the Dex 95th Birthday thread:

What are your favourite Dexter ´s stage announcements, they were part of the game and a trade mark:

"I want to take a moment to introduce........the   moo-sah-kas (the musicians, musiker).... starting with El Grade Senior frah Catalonia...TETE MONTE LIU (smile).

" our trommelschleger frah Van Luta......Alex......Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiel................................., really !

I saw Dexter play at the Ann Arbor Jazz Festival in 1978. After a very good set by Dexter and his backing trio, he was joined by Johnny Griffin, and they performed two long songs together. It was quite exciting. The crowd of 3,000 screamed and whistled for several minutes after the second song ended. It was one of the loudest and wildest audience responses I have ever witnessed, in any genre of music. Finally Dexter said, in a slow, gutteral voice, "thanks...................thanks LOADS, folks!"

I loved that.

10 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I saw Dexter play at the Ann Arbor Jazz Festival in 1978. After a very good set by Dexter and his backing trio, he was joined by Johnny Griffin, and they performed two long songs together. It was quite exciting. The crowd of 3,000 screamed and whistled for several minutes after the second song ended. It was one of the loudest and wildest audience responses I have ever witnessed, in any genre of music. Finally Dexter said, in a slow, gutteral voice, "thanks...................thanks LOADS, folks!"

I loved that.

It was recorded and is the first half of the album "Great Encounters".

Slow, gutteral voice, yes ! Didn´t Dex announce Griffin as "we got another tenor player.......just where we need it (laughter from the audience) "......

And further: We´ll play some "European Soul Tenor" for you (Blues Up and Down).

Really great !

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

It was recorded and is the first half of the album "Great Encounters".

Slow, gutteral voice, yes ! Didn´t Dex announce Griffin as "we got another tenor player.......just where we need it (laughter from the audience) "......

And further: We´ll play some "European Soul Tenor" for you (Blues Up and Down).

Really great !

I think that Great Encounters presented a New York performance by the two of them together, not the Ann Arbor performance. 

On 28/2/2018 at 7:11 AM, Gheorghe said:

Fitting to the Dex 95th Birthday thread:

What are your favourite Dexter ´s stage announcements, they were part of the game and a trade mark:

"I want to take a moment to introduce........the   moo-sah-kas (the musicians, musiker).... starting with El Grade Senior frah Catalonia...TETE MONTE LIU (smile).

" our trommelschleger frah Van Luta......Alex......Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiel................................., really !

On 28/2/2018 at 0:26 PM, Dan Gould said:

I think that's El Gran Senor.

In fact it's El Gran Señor, but for non-speakers of Spanish, our beloved "ñ" usually turns into "ni".

And Montoliu is always pronounced as Mon-Té-Liu by you Americans...

Wonderful announcement by Dex! 

1 hour ago, EKE BBB said:

In fact it's El Gran Señor, but for non-speakers of Spanish, our beloved "ñ" usually turns into "ni".

And Montoliu is always pronounced as Mon-Té-Liu by you Americans...

Wonderful announcement by Dex! 

Hey I had my High School Spanish! I just don't know how to make the keyboard make the thingie over the n.

:blush:

:g

Thanks for your kind answers.

Of course I intended to write "El Gran...."

Anyway, during his at least 14 years in Europe mainly in Denmark Dexter really liked to use the language of the respective country for his stage announcement.

Hip as Dexter was, you could almost feel that it was often a kind harmless way of puttin´ the audience on, that´s part of his generation, Bird did it, Diz did it, Monk did it.

And since a lot of his live recordings were made in Denmark, there is a lot of announcing a tune also in danish.

After telling the name of the following song he would say "OR !" and give a danish translation of it.

Famous was his announcing of "I wanna blow now" .

"And now...... a very very important composition by the very very..........slippery........trombonist.....Bennie Green, and this is called

(says it in a very straight and official manner ) "I....want... to....blowwww......now...."     OR     "jai once spielen nu.." (or like that )

The joke is also, that Bennie Greens "very very important composition" is not more than a very very simple blues riff , a Bennie Greeen trademark anyway.......