Can I recommend him Mingus´ "Three or Four Shades of Blues"?

Gheorghe

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎01‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 0:47 AM, JSngry said:

I dunno, that trio album with Hampton Hawes tends to bore the shit out of me.

On ‎02‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 4:49 AM, felser said:

Understood on the Hawes trio album.

Wot!?

Double wot!?

You guys deaf or jes dumb? ;)

Seriously, I love that album w/Hawes! Some great blues, plenty of great Mingus bass playing, and then that fantastic take on "Summertime"!

In my opinion, I have the record, but its not my go-to Mingus by any stretch;  recommend the Candid's, Bethlehem's, Early Atlantic's, Impulses' ,the Columbia's. Guess is, why start to turn on your friend to Mingus with this record? And I don't want to say that 70's Mingus is not worth hearing; some of my favs are tucked in there like the Changes albums, but start your friend on the route to the classics; don't drop him off and think he'll figure it out, if you get my drift.

Edited by Holy Ghost
addendum

On 2/28/2018 at 10:16 AM, felser said:

Me too, but it would seem to fit the bill here just fine.  And Mingus never made a boring album.  Early Larry Coryell records would work also.  I especially like 'Fairlyland', 'Barefoot Boy', and 'Offering'.

I don't know Fairyland, but Offering and Barefoot Boy were two of my very favorites at that time.

6 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I don't know Fairyland, but Offering and Barefoot Boy were two of my very favorites at that time.

Fairyland just got reissued on CD.  It is a trio with Bernard Purdie/Chuck Rainey recorded live at Montreux in 1971.  You'll dig it.  Rainey and Purdie did amazing work at that festival.  Their contributions to Barbieri's 'El Pampero' album are amazing.

Reminds me how sick KIrk is. That dude was in his own town. Another talk another time; here, Mingus is ridiculous, even at this stage. But back on task, Seventies Mingus , in my opinion, was good right up to the end, and all of those records are worth hearing; Atlantic, I don't know how they thought giving either Zep or Mingus stage front, because things were not making sense then: rock or jazz (rock), but Mingus recorded for them up to 77... (Zepp's "Best of" album, "The Song Remains the Same"  kept the juggernaut full speed until John Bonham straitened his shit out ( which was short-lived) was affordable or (cash money)) was a good run for Atlantic, but after IV, Presence, what did Atlantic have to offer? Just thinking out loud.

Edited by Holy Ghost

1 minute ago, Holy Ghost said:

Reminds me how sick KIrk is. That dude was in his own town. Another talk another time; here, Mingus is ridiculous, even at this stage. But back on task, Seventies Mingus was good right up to the end, and all of those records are worth hearing; Atlantic, I don't know how they thought giving either Zep or Mingus stage front, because things were not making sense then: rock or jazz. But Mingus recorded for them up to 77... (Zep's Best of Album til John Bonham straitened his shit out) was a good run for Atlantic, but after IV and Presence, what did Atlantic have? Thinking out loud.

Atlantic was big in fusion, and they had that distribution deal with Nemperor.  Together, they had Cobham, Jan Hammer, Focus, EL&P, Herbie Mann, the list goes on... Check out this list of sessions from 1977 alone: https://www.jazzdisco.org/atlantic-records/discography-1977/session-index/

Not to combine talks, but 70's Mingus only makes sense if we rehearse earlier Mingus, which is essential, in my view: now hear me out; if you understand 70's Mingus understand it for two reasons, hell yeah and two, helllll yeah. But go back to the basics, start with where Mingus came from, its an amazing journey: from Parker, to Jackie, to Dolphy and Booker  and Kirk...and most of all Duke, incredible!

Edited by Holy Ghost

56 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Atlantic was big in fusion, and they had that distribution deal with Nemperor.  Together, they had Cobham, Jan Hammer, Focus, EL&P, Herbie Mann, the list goes on... Check out this list of sessions from 1977 alone: https://www.jazzdisco.org/atlantic-records/discography-1977/session-index/

Yup. They really played the 70's well and made a lot of money; I can't believe I forgot Genesis and Yes!

Edited by Holy Ghost

On 3/25/2018 at 7:26 AM, felser said:

Fairyland just got reissued on CD.  It is a trio with Bernard Purdie/Chuck Rainey recorded live at Montreux in 1971.  You'll dig it.  Rainey and Purdie did amazing work at that festival.  Their contributions to Barbieri's 'El Pampero' album are amazing.

Thanks; Fairyland is a fantastic record, I ordered the CD.

Thank you all for your kind and very constructive replies !

Yes, I´m sure it makes sense to start from a more historical point, like Mingus´s 50s and 60´s outputs.

In my own case my first real listening experience was the Mingus with Dolphy and Jakie Byard from Paris 1964, that was a 3 LP set .

I liked it from the first hearing, and it was one of my first records I had, the first was Davis´ Steamin´.

Imagine, I had read about Bird from the liner notes of Davis´ album and after I heard "Parkeriana" from the Mingus set I really became interested in Bird also.

So in my case I started from a quite advanced stage of Mingus´  music  with all them tempo changes, dissonant sounds and everything, but I don´t thing I´d be a good example, I always wanted to "study" what I was listening to, and I think my friend is more the kind of person who may enjoy some stuff  but wouldn´t listen to it as a musician listens to.

Anyway I ´ll give him other records , Mingus, some Miles, some Blakey Messengers as you mentioned it. I remember a person who was not a jazz buff but was crazy about "Moanin´" and "Blue March", playing it over and over again at a very high volume.......