WD45

Ornette Coleman: "The Atlantic Years" -- a 10LP set

13 posts in this topic

Ornette Coleman - "The Atlantic Years"

From the site:

"Those albums, along more than two hours of session outtakes, are featured together in the 10-LP boxed set ORNETTE COLEMAN: THE ATLANTIC YEARS, featuring newly remastered audio by John Webber at AIR Studios. Several of these titles are long out-of-print on vinyl. The Ornette Coleman Legacy, featuring six songs originally released for the first time in 1993 as part of Rhino's CD boxed set Beauty Is A Rare Thing, making its vinyl debut. The new vinyl set from Rhino will be available on May 11 for $174.98.

The LPs are presented in replica European-style 1960s jackets in a side-loading slipcase along with a 12 x 12 booklet with new liner notes written by renowned author-music critic Ben Ratliff, plus rare pictures taken by legendary jazz photographer Lee Friedlander.

The albums featured in the set are: The Shape Of Jazz To Come (1959), Change Of The Century (1959), This Is Our Music (1960), Free Jazz: A Collective Improvisation (1960), Ornette!(1961), Ornette On Tenor (1961), The Art Of Improvisers (1970), Twins (1971), To Whom Who Keeps A Record (1975), and The Ornette Coleman Legacy (1993.)"

First Coltrane and Ray Charles in mono, now followed by this set. Is a Mingus set next? :)

Can someone shed some light on what they mean by "replica European-style 1960s jackets" on the Rhino site? Will these look like the jackets on the Beatles mono reissues?

Love the attention to detail and quality of the jackets on the Coltrane mono set--nice, heavy tip-on style. I ordered the Ray Charles, assuming they would be the same, but they are WAAAAY cheaper and flimsy. I was bummed when I opened that set up.

I'm up in the air on this set -- I have a mono Free Jazz, a deluxe Rhino of Shape of Jazz to Come, and an original stereo of Ornette!, and the To Whom Keeps a Record reissue from Superior Viaduct. The rest are Scorpio reissues. 

I assume they will be thin one- or two-piece jackets rather than tip-on. We'd be lucky to get flipback!

If there's no new material, there's no interest for me.

These Ornette LPs are not something I do not have.

I'll stick with my CD box set.

18 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I'll stick with my CD box set.

Same.

Posted (edited)

‘European style’ jackets - could be the Garrod and Lofthouse ‘flipback’ design, which would be nice. Sort of like the UK London Ornettes.

Not holding my breath though - and will stick with the CD box.

Edited by sidewinder

That was my thought too, both on the flipback and sticking with the CDs (my favourite boxset)

Didn't the CD set include a few cuts that weren't on any of the LPs? I have all the vinyl, including To Whom Who Keeps A Record.

looks like they're being released on one LP in the new set

" he Ornette Coleman Legacy, featuring six songs originally released for the first time in 1993 as part of Rhino's CD boxed set Beauty Is A Rare Thing, making its vinyl debut"

Heads up....soundstagedirect is having 25% of on all vinyls: this set is $174.99 with the 25% discount It goes down to $131 no bad....code is LP25 it is good for this weekend only 

Saw this in-person in a shop, and they actually do have those flipback sleeves like the Beatles mono reissues. WEIRD.

Posted (edited)

Beginning to change my mind - might actually pick up this set. It has had very good reviews over here. Really like the flipback style - will be sort of like the London label Ornettes.

Edited by sidewinder