• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's reasonable to pick up only every second edition of this book.

And don't give (or throw) the old ones away, they contain reviews which have been deleted from the newer editions, because the CDs are currently not available in the UK :rolleyes: , but they may be reissued anytime ore are available as imports.

Anyone did compare the 5th and the 6th?

Penguin Guide to Jazz Diffs, 5th vs. 6th Editions

I think it's reasonable to pick up only every second edition of this book.

And don't give (or throw) the old ones away, they contain reviews which have been deleted from the newer editions, because the CDs are currently not available in the UK :rolleyes: , but they may be reissued anytime ore are available as imports.

Anyone did compare the 5th and the 6th?

Penguin Guide to Jazz Diffs, 5th vs. 6th Editions

Thanks, Claude. I know that I should not give them away (they're much too dear to me anyway, I cannot give books away, generally never do it!).

The 6th is under 20$ now on US Amazon, and 10£ on UK, so I might get this one and wait for the 7th till it is on sale later... I guess I'm sort of a completist.

ubu

I too have each one. I use them as a sort of library, since reviews are deleted from edition to edition. My tastes have changed quite a bit since I bought the first one, but I appreciate the scholarly approach and I have a pretty good idea of the editors' biases. I'm always tempted to buy Lord, but I don't much care for him and I'm mindful of all the errors noted by others.

Brian Morton must be a very busy man at present.

What with the new Penguin and a forthcoming book due in August:

From OUP site:

http://www.oup.co.uk/isbn/0-19-284092-4

Plenty Plenty Rhythm

Brian Morton (Presenter of Radio Scotland's arts programmes The Usual Suspects and The Brian Morton Show)

Price: £14.99 (Hardback)

0-19-284092-4

Publication date: August 2004

176 pages, 216mm x 135mm

A novel and stimulating introduction to the subject

Avoids orthodox chronologies by homing in on key moments in jazz's past

Morton is a leading international name in the jazz world with a proven track record - author of the very successful Penguin Guide to Jazz on CD

Explores jazz's origins, its ethnic identity, and its social and political nature

Description:

Brian Morton looks at the history of the 20th century's one entirely new musical form, jazz - and asks, what has jazz become? and what does jazz do? rather than try to define what jazz is.

Readership: General readers interested in jazz - its origins, its ethnic identity, and its social and political nature

Since his major falling out with the BBC in Scotland a year or so back I'd imagine he's had more time on his hands.

One of my favourite broadcasters - this volume might well surprise some readers. His personality seems to get a bit lost in the "Cook and Morton" mix.

i own all of them. i bought second copies of vols. 1-4 used to replace my original copies which were quite worn. you can often get the older editions for a good price at half.com or on other websites. for example, currently you can get the first edition in "like new" condition for only $8 at half.com

Edited by jazzshrink

• 6 months later...

Stopped looking at my 3rd edition for a couple of years and then decided to pick it up again a few months back for no particular reason. Lo and behold, I discovered they have some decent reviews of many N.O revival recordings which AMG totally omits ;). I find myself referring to the book quite often now. Perhaps I should pick up the latest edition.

Stopped looking at my 3rd edition for a couple of years and then decided to pick it up again a few months back for no particular reason. Lo and behold, I discovered they have some decent reviews of many N.O revival recordings which AMG totally omits ;). I find myself referring to the book quite often now. Perhaps I should pick up the latest edition.

LAL, one of the authors (I forget which one) has a New Orleans/trad jones, and in the most recent edition (or perhaps the past two) even gave a crown to a Kid Valentine/George Lewis CD on American Music. :o

LAL, one of the authors (I forget which one) has a New Orleans/trad jones, and in the most recent edition (or perhaps the past two) even gave a crown to a Kid Valentine/George Lewis CD on American Music.  :o

:o Based on an online 4 star/crown list, this must be the Kid Thomas/George Lewis Ragtime Stompers disc on GHB. A crown you say? I don't have that one in the collection, yet. Must get it now. :excited::g

LAL, one of the authors (I forget which one) has a New Orleans/trad jones, and in the most recent edition (or perhaps the past two) even gave a crown to a Kid Valentine/George Lewis CD on American Music. :o

Richard Cook is more angled that way. Morton, on his radio programmes, always had a modernist/avant bent, though with an ability to reference the history of the music.

Curious to know if anyone has noticed either a change in the style of the writing in the Penguin Guide from the 1st to the 6th edition. Or, a change in outlook or opinion by the authors? Just wondering if over their years of listening, Cook or Morton have undergone some noticeable changes.

Curious to know if anyone has noticed either a change in the style of the writing in the Penguin Guide from the 1st to the 6th edition. Or, a change in outlook or opinion by the authors? Just wondering if over their years of listening, Cook or Morton have undergone some noticeable changes.

Each entry now begins with a short bio, rather than diving headlong into the reviews.

Views of individual recordings definitely change from edition to edition. See Bobby Hutcherson's 'Dialogue', for example.

It's also interesting, in the case of contemporary artists, to notice changing evaluations of evolving careers. Some don't turn out like their first one or two releases might have indicated.