Grace Kelly

Milestones

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

But in the case of this thread and Grace Kelly, it seems to me some posters here simply find her not to be on par with the amount of hype and publicity she's received.   

The "hype and publicity" doesn't seem to have been very effective-- at least in my case.  I'd never heard of her before this thread started. 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Still dead, though, right?

Yup. When he died, my parents lived over there (hence my interest in things all Spain) and at his casket, old Falangists (Spanish fascists) gave the salute and proclaimed “Presente Generalissimo!,” which loosely means present and reporting for duty. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Yup. When he died, my parents lived over there (hence my interest in things all Spain) and at his casket, old Falangists (Spanish fascists) gave the salute and proclaimed “Presente Generalissimo!,” which loosely means present and reporting for duty. 

Yes, I remember seeing that in a newscast on TV after he had died. Falangists not even that "old" but relatively young (in their 30s or early 40s) saluting at his casket ... eerie ...

22 hours ago, mjzee said:

Kelly and Konitz riffing on 317 E. 32.  Not too shabby:

Sorry bro, that shit don't bounce. Lee bounces. That's what I'm talking about, I don't find her "straight ahead" playing to have any real grounding in too much more than knowing in what order the notes should come. Nor should it, really, these kids today, they've had a different life experience, they got their own bounce if they want it. But this here is an old man's tempo, and Grace Kelly is not an old man, nor does it sound like she'd be comfortable as one. Why anybody wants to think that she does, or worse, that she SHOULD, I don't get it. Let her be a young woman of today, and if that means pop touches and choreography and shit, let her do that and wish her well as she does. Let her get her power from where she is, and if that's not where you're at, it's ok. I mean, I'm not gonna be there, not gonna want to be there, but that's how shit works, until at some point we die and the line moves ahead. You want to leave a good clear path for those behind you, but a path is not a track, dig? Tracks are for trains and amusement park rides.

Lee's a funny guy, though. I hope somebody's got tapes of him talking on his sets, that might end up being one of the funniest records ever!

"totally skilled" I don't think so (weak sound and not well controlled either, Konitz's sound may not be to my taste but I have no doubt it's intentional), reasonably/passably/moderately skilled sure....Sonny Stitt was totally skilled and still boring half the time, other half he kicked ass - all the detractors here are calling for is a sense of perspective:  In a world in which Charlie Parker and Johnny Hodges exist, she's not all that,  in a world in which Darius Jones and Rudy M and (insert your favorite here) are currently playing I'm not sure why we're even talking about her.  And I don't think it has much to do with the current political climate, tortuously PC use of language, women's very real struggles throughout history, or any thing else beyond that they all exist in the same world at the same time.

Ok, these are all in one way or another cringe-inducing, but these here really works for me, not really as music, but jsut as concept, never mind saxophone oper, here is saxophone ballet.

Keep away from the bebop, kid,nobody needs you there, keep hanging with this Leo P guy, this shit works for you both, I think.

Not mine. I listened to several to of the popups from the first series and wasn't overly impresed.

That Venice gondola thing reminded me of a sort of modernized single-sax Billy Vaughn.

What kind of exposure does one need to let herself be put online in a video surrounded by barebellied, potbellied beach crowds shooting handy videos of oneself? Must be in dire need of attention of ANY sort ...

And where's the swing?  With the best will in the world I cannot even make it out in the way Jimmy Giuffre aptly said about the beat of some of his 50s avantgarde music: "It is understood".

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

What kind of exposure does one need to let herself be put online in a video surrounded by barebellied, potbellied beach crowds shooting handy videos of oneself? Must be in dire need of attention of ANY sort ...

Savvy marketing.  More jazz artists should probably do it.

The dancing duet things with that Leo P guy, that could turn into a medium...think of the Julius Hemphill Sextet stuff being choreographed for the people who are also playing it. Not just moves or steps, but real choreography. Think of a composer writing a ballet for saxophonists. Doesn't have to be "jazz", either.

Now we could be getting back to sun Ra's mind, intentionally or otherwise. Not Grace Kellie and Leo P, but the right minds, the right people, that could become interesting. Helluva  lot more interesting than watching a bunch of repeater pencils playing changes.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, mjzee said:

It’s especially ironic considering the current crop of radicals owe their existence to being able to talk on college campuses in the ‘60’s and ‘70’s.  As a provocateur, Milo has nothing on Abbie Hoffman. But now that the radicals are in power, they gleefully jettison the First Amendment.  Power for me but not for thee, y’see.

Yep. I for one always wanted and want to hear opposing views, it's what creates discussion and debate. Today though, there is none of that. Friends actually stop being friends over political affiliations, strangers don't talk politics/world events to one another unless they agree with each other or lie, and people are protesting protests while protesting, some without even knowing what they are protesting which starts a whole new protest and then we have the "safe spaces".

I'm one that doesn't care for the music of Ms. Kelly. Feel free to tell me I am wrong.

Sorry Jim, you can delete if you feel the need.

On 3/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, JSngry said:

The dancing duet things with that Leo P guy, that could turn into a medium...think of the Julius Hemphill Sextet stuff being choreographed for the people who are also playing it. Not just moves or steps, but real choreography. Think of a composer writing a ballet for saxophonists. Doesn't have to be "jazz", either.

Now we could be getting back to sun Ra's mind, intentionally or otherwise. Not Grace Kellie and Leo P, but the right minds, the right people, that could become interesting. Helluva  lot more interesting than watching a bunch of repeater pencils playing changes.

Leo P(ellegrino) is already somewhat known as the dancing Jazz guy. He plays in Too Many Zooz and there are several videos of him going crazy on a bari while dancing around in a NYC subway station. I really dig his playing. He's fun for what is shooting for. It's not like he's trying to be the next Joe Lovano.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

23 minutes ago, Milestones said:

These videos just seems to scream, "Look at me!"

Indeed. I've watched some videos of Leo P, it's exhausting. Dude still does his shtick while others are soloing. Looks like the crowd likes it though and maybe he's talented, but the hair and clothes are loud enough, the antics to that degree seem unnecessary.

but...more can be done with it than just this. The tennis thing and the cowboy thing, those are a little more than just marching band schtick. And developing that out could lead to a new discipline, instrumentalists who view dance as integral to their playing, and playing integral to their dancing. This is not at all a bad thing in and of itself, cf Cecil Taylor and everybody else who matters, dead and/or alive, from any continent of ancestral origin. That's the problem with music right now, "serious" musicians who don't/can't/won't dance from the bodysoul and "pop" musicians who don't/can't/won't play from the mindsoul. A soul divided itself cannot stand. That shit is not sustainable without a fundamental de-evolution of humanity as we mostly all know it.

There was a time when this was not a problem, everybody understood each other, dancing and playing, they were mutually informed. That time is not now.

5 hours ago, Milestones said:

These videos just seem to scream, "Look at me!"

Yes indeed.  Heaven forbid musicians use social media to get people to watch as well as listen to their performances.  Every one knows audience members should go to a concert and then close their eyes while listening to the musical performance and simply pretend they are listening to it in the comfy confines of home.

If you're interested in seeing/hearing this Leo P guy in a more straight forward jazz setting, here he is (along with Christian Scott) playing some Mingus at last year's BBC Proms.  From playing in NYC subways to playing at Royal Albert Hall -- not a bad career path to be on.  His playing may not be for every one (and Mingus may very well have taken a few swings at him), but the crowd in these videos seem to love it.