Grace Kelly

Milestones

No worries, they did the trying for you! All of it!

It's like the realtor who planted flags in everybody's yard here over the weekend and then was online to accept all the thanks (and they were just a-gushing all over the place too). I'm like, sure dude, thank you indeed, now I can look patriotic and not have to gice a shit or do a thing, thank you for that.

So, see, Grace & Leo (sounds like a pre-Beatles pop duo), they did all the exercising for you. In this heat, hey, grateful for small favors, etc.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since their two minute hits are awful enough, that was three times as painful.  

Seriously does this guy realize he does the same freaking thing all the time?  He belongs in the subway, out of sight and mind, busking for coins. 

1) she can't dance. She is awkward and boxy and....well, she can't dance. That stuff is exploitational crap (talk about appropriation...) And it ain't sexist to say so, because he sucks also. These are annoying, repulsive performers.

2) she can play a little, but overall her playing is slick and shallow.

3) Yes, I'll post a video of my musical talents, if you insist. But I refuse to shake my ass.

Edited by AllenLowe

20 minutes ago, AllenLowe said:

1) she can't dance. She is awkward and boxy and....well, she can't dance.

Thanks for putting into words what I really couldn't think of at the tine. Boxy and awkward dancing indeed. :lol:

Whatever you tap your feet to, it's not to her dancing. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

25 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I said fun, not great.

WORD!

You don't have to be hip to have fun...which drives the hip people crazy, but life is bigger than just hip. Although, once you get bugged driving up and down the same old strip, you will want to find a new place where the kids are hip. But ass long as you don't forget where you sarted from, that's cool (which is better/worse) than hip.

Anyway, Cynthia & Jerry got a message.

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

That actually was kind of fun.

We (myself included) get too hot and bothered by her act but she looks like she’s enjoying herself and life should be fun. 

4 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Too much vitriol over harmless stuff.

Yup. 

It's the damn kids today, they don't have any idea that life is supposed to be angsty and shit, except for the ones hat do, and, you know, same as it ever was, fuck them, right? Emo motherfuckers got nowhere to go but down, just get it over with already, stop the whining already.

Haha, look at Brian, smirk before breakfast, Pet Sounds before supper. There's a lesson for you kids, have fun while you can, because cocaine is one hell of a drug.

But look - even that evil asshole Mike Love couldn't help but do some steps, hell, old people who forget the joys of just having the ability to move freely and exuberantly, what are you people living for?

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

WORD!

You don't have to be hip to have fun...which drives the hip people crazy, but life is bigger than just hip. Although, once you get bugged driving up and down the same old strip, you will want to find a new place where the kids are hip. But ass long as you don't forget where you sarted from, that's cool (which is better/worse) than hip.

Anyway, Cynthia & Jerry got a message.

I am very capable of having fun, as a matter of fact I am a fun guy and I have fun constantly.  My middle name is fun. And those two are not fun.

Nobody would ever accuse you of not being a fun guy, especially me. I make it a point to find the fun in everything and everybody, that's why I'm the beloved Peruvian folk hero that I am today,, it's all about the fun, tell me about it, I know, right?

35 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Nobody would ever accuse you of not being a fun guy, especially me. I make it a point to find the fun in everything and everybody, that's why I'm the beloved Peruvian folk hero that I am today,, it's all about the fun, tell me about it, I know, right?

Jim - you can see Leo with his Too Many Zooz band in Dallas in October: http://toomanyzooz.com/#shows

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

1) she can't dance. She is awkward and boxy and....well, she can't dance. That stuff is exploitational crap (talk about appropriation...) And it ain't sexist to say so, because he sucks also. These are annoying, repulsive performers.

3) Yes, I'll post a video of my musical talents, if you insist. But I refuse to shake my ass.

Jeez Allen, I don't mean you. I mean Paul & Dan. I want to see their videos.

If you shake your ass, I'll watch yours too.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

We (myself included) get too hot and bothered by her act but she looks like she’s enjoying herself and life should be fun. 

Yup. 

She’s the Jazz saxophone equivilent of Lindsey Stirling. 

I’ve got no problem with that. But that doesn’t mean I can’t critique her as such, right? 

And there is certainly no vitriol involved. She’s talented and having fun. That’s awesome. 

1 hour ago, CJ Shearn said:

Hey, that vid was good fun, and is harmless, it's nothing that's going to spark rage in me because it's only going to help expose more people to jazz.  An article I wrote on the subject: http://bit.ly/2JobB7q

Ugh.  That isn't a very flattering portrayal of the board, as it makes the average Organissimo member sound like a close-minded old fart who is out of touch with the current scene.  It's an odd approach to post in the thread in March only to pop back in 4 months later to try to direct people to such a blog post.

Point taken.  Originally I wasn't going to post that to the thread but I thought what was going on was pretty crazy so I had to say it.  But, you are right, it was a mistake to post it here, but at the time I thought the outrage here was absurd.  There are plenty of fine open minded folk here who have done a lot to help my listening habits, and awareness of things, but the truth is this audience is not who she's targeting.  Take for example those here that don't dig the Robert Glasper Experiment:: Sure, the music isn't necessarily "new" if you knew the history and reference points, and I think the reactions were to PR of it being something new that was a trigger-- but hey, he's being a gateway to the music and it's great.  I do think anyone would see the uproar over Grace's dancing, look at the board and be either very confused or turned off.

Edited by CJ Shearn

It seems to me that you used Grace Kelly to take a swipe at the people here and I just don’t agree with your characterization of this place or that it’s not representative of the jazz listening public. How do you know it’s not. If somebody asks me how it is representative, I couldn’t answer the question any more than you can. We simply don’t know, unless you have polling data to the contrary. 

As far as she goes, it’s a shtick but if that’s how she wishes to perform, who am I to question her choices.  It certainly holds no interest for me. We hope that her act will attract viewers to check out jazz but we don’t really know if that will happen, do we? They may just be interested in her and there may no pass through effect. We are left with a lot of questions. 

Edited by Brad