Miles on Blue Note (pressings)

Mark Stryker

Gang,

I've got the two Miles Davis Blue Note LPs in '70s pressings that descend from the lineage of "electronically rerecorded to simulate  stereo."  The sound of these records is inferior and I'm going to upgrade as the opportunity arises. CD reissues are a good inexpensive option. I suppose big bucks for original pressing  LPs is another way to go. However, I'm curious if anybody has the United Artists twofer of this material that came out in 1971. I've seen this around in used stores and am curious about the source of the master's used in pressing and whether it's any better or just the same as the Blue Note LPs I have of similar vintage.

Anybody have any thoughts? 

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-Miles-Davis/release/2465150

Edited by Mark Stryker

I do have that (and only that, for this material, it's good enough for me), but am at work now, cannot check. My memory is that is just a repackaging of the existing BN LPs, but don't take my memory to the bank, don't even get in like for the ATM with it.

I see that the labels on Discogs say "Mono" though...if so, then that's the way to go, but iirc, they sessions are not grouped together, if that kind of thing matters to you. otoh, hey, it's a record, listen to it!

I remember that UA pressings were pretty noisy, so try to hear it before you buy.  The RVG CDs sound great.  Don't forget this relatively recent 10" LP for additional alternates:

R-6354278-1417203974-4976.jpeg.jpg

One more item to consider.  This is a more recent release than the RVGs, with masterings instead by Bernie Grundman.  There's some discussion in the Amazon reviews about the tonal differences between this and the RVGs.  And just to complicate your buying decision further, there is also a Blu-Ray version.

81AhFzWZfBL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mjzee
To add the word "also."