Jenny Scheinman

Simon Weil

I've got all her records now. I saw her in Bill Frisell's InterContinental's band  (London, ?2003) and, although her solos weren't that striking, something about her playing transfixed me. So I got the first 3 of her records - my favourite of which remains Live At Yoshi's - but I kind of held off after that, feeling she wasn't quite where I hoped she's be. More recently (maybe a year ago), I revisited 12 Songs, which I had always been a bit equivocal about, liked it and bought a big chunk of the rest of her records.

Crossing the Field and The Littlest Prisoner seem to me quality performances by a mature talent. The second's her vocals - which aren't Jazz vocals - and a kind of modernish folk background, but I hear the same underlying sensibility in both. Basically I was looking for someone up to date who I could feel was doing real stuff when I bought the records - and these two fulfil that need for me. She seems to have the ability to put it across just as well in her self-penned folk(ish) songs as in her relatively complex Jazz(ish) performances.

Edited by Simon Weil