Happy Birthday, Roy Haynes!!!

Justin V

Incredible ! Such a great drummer.

It seems strange to me that I had heard him only one time live, a few years ago with his own quartet, but though he had played with almost everybody, I don´t remember that i would have seen him in other seetings.

He was fantastic in any style from the 40´s on, with Lester, Bird, Bud, with Trane......

• 11 months later...

A genius. I´m glad I saw him live with his own quartet a few years ago. As a drummer he always has fascinated me . I think he could be called a link between Max Roach and Elvin Jones, so to say the next step after Max Roach. When I hear Roy Haynes let´s say with Bird, it´s else than Max. Max played very straight, like a chorus line, and Roy gets more into those polyrhythms. You see, I listen very much to music from the drummers view, cause this is a lot of inspiration for me.

And to hear Haynes with Trane, just fantastic, with all due respect and admiration for Elvin.....

A very happy birthday To you mr Haynes. You are a true legend of all time! Now what should  I play in your honor:

- Lester Young’s Aladdin records?

- Sonny Rollins Sound of Sonny?

- Some Getz’ Roost Records?

- Shepp’s Way Ahead?

- Pharoah Sanders’ Thembi

- Or perhaps Some Petrucciani?

- Some We Three with Phineas

- Some Bud Powell, Monk, Bird, Coltrane or perhaps Clifford Jordan’s in the World?

My god, with who didn’t he play? Oh and by the way: his drumming skills on ‘After The Crescent’ of Coltrane’s Dear Old Stockholm.... so ridiculously good! And you must be damn good to fill in for Elvin Jones.

• 11 months later...

Roy Haynes is 95 today.  I have no idea what the status of my longstanding plan to see him next week is, but I'll be listening to his music frequently.  I'm currently listening to Andrew Hill's Smokestack.  With Haynes' crackling drums and Richard Davis and Eddie Khan playing off of each other, this is becoming my go-to Hill session.  Like many albums, it's hard to imagine it without the inimitable Haynes.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Haynes!

59 minutes ago, Al in NYC said:

Happy Birthday Roy!!

I believe his birthday shows next weekend at the Blue Note have been cancelled though, which was probably an easy call.  The club is now showing Dizzy Gillespie Afro-Cuban All-Stars for those dates.

Yeah, I saw that after posting and I just called to confirm.  Here's hoping that Roy stays healthy.  In the meantime, I'll keep playing his music and looking forward to his next concert.

My memory for specific details that far back is very foggy. But back in the early 1960's I went to hear the Roy Haynes Quartet playing at the Drome Lounge in Detroit. My recollection is that he had with him, Frank Strozier, Larry Ridley and (I think perhaps) Richard Wyands. 

At that time I was contributing a short column on jazz in Detroit for the Canadian jazz magazine CODA. I wrote a brief review of that Roy Haynes Quartet gig. It was positive review.

12 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

My memory for specific details that far back is very foggy. But back in the early 1960's I went to hear the Roy Haynes Quartet playing at the Drome Lounge in Detroit. My recollection is that he had with him, Frank Strozier, Larry Ridley and (I think perhaps) Richard Wyands. 

At that time I was contributing a short column on jazz in Detroit for the Canadian jazz magazine CODA. I wrote a brief review of that Roy Haynes Quartet gig. It was positive review.

In my case it´s contrary. Well in the 60´s I was a kid, but from the 70´s on I remember very well almost each concert and who played and sometimes what tunes they played, but if you ask me About those Things from 2000 on, it is harder for me to remember them…..

On 3/15/2020 at 1:19 PM, Peter Friedman said:

Peter -- I dug up a Detroit Free Press clipping from mid November 1965 that has listing of a Wayne Shorter-Roy Haynes Quartet playing at the Drome Lounge. The rest of the personnel isn't listed, though several months earlier, a quartet consisting of Wayne, Roy, Albert Dailey, and Larry Ridley played at the Left Bank Jazz Society in Baltimore. (Of course, Roy did have a quartet in that era with Strozier, Ridley, and (at least on various recordings) Ronnie Matthews or Sam Dockery.)

19 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Peter -- I dug up a Detroit Free Press clipping from mid November 1965 that has listing of a Wayne Shorter-Roy Haynes Quartet playing at the Drome Lounge. The rest of the personnel isn't listed, though several months earlier, a quartet consisting of Wayne, Roy, Albert Dailey, and Larry Ridley played at the Left Bank Jazz Society in Baltimore. (Of course, Roy did have a quartet in that era with Strozier, Ridley, and (at least on various recordings) Ronnie Matthews or Sam Dockery.)

Mark, I was hoping I had saved those old (1960's) issues of CODA with my column/review of the Roy Haynes gig. Unfortunately I must have gotten rid of it when I retired and moved to Tucson.

The pianist with Roy Haynes could well have been Albert Dailey, Ronnie Mathews or Sam Dockery. My memory was most foggy in that area. However, I am reasonably sure I did not hear Wayne Shorter on that gig.I still believe it was Frank Strozier. But to be fair, it was over 50 years ago, so I could certainly be wrong.

The key would be found in the edition of CODA magazine from the 1960's where I identified the musicians I saw and heard. If anyone has access to those old CODA "s it would help definitely resolve this question.