Happy 80th Birthday, Charles Lloyd

Cyril

13 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sports, people standing and indoor

Nice tapestry. 

They showed film of this (and other photos/films from Lloyd's history) on the walls of the concert hall tonight. 

Booker T played second half of show on B3 while Gerald Clayton sat out. Don Was sat in on acoustic base for a couple of numbers.  And yes, they did play Green Onions.   Clayton returned on piano and played  Happy Birthday.  The audience very quickly joined in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw him once in 1983 with that great quartet with Michel  Petrucciani, Palle Danielsen I think and the young drummer Sunship. I also have the album they did for Electra Musician shortly after his comeback.

But I think he had the most succes just before I became interested in jazz. When I started to study all that music and heard all the day long Miles, Mingus, Trane, Ornette and all of them, I didn´t really know about Charles Llyod but guys maybe 5 , 6 years older were from that flower power generation when Charles Llyod was something like a hero, best selling jazz artist or very near to it. 

I got to spin two of his albums from the 60s with quite straight ahead stuff, with the great group Keith, McBee, Jack DeJohnette. I liked them though I must say if I want to hear something from the 60´s I listen more to  Trane, to Joe Henderson, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter .

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I got to spin two of his albums from the 60s with quite straight ahead stuff, with the great group Keith, McBee, Jack DeJohnette. I liked them though I must say if I want to hear something from the 60´s I listen more to  Trane, to Joe Henderson, Sam Rivers, Wayne Shorter .

Lloyd's best 1960s music: the stuff w/Cannonball & Chico, plus the 2 Columbia albums, plus Dream Weaver.  There's some good stuff on the Atlantic albums but it's almost all at least a tier lower.