Buell Neidlinger RIP

clifford_thornton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just talked to Terry (and Francis) and they were both surprised at your interpretation of Burton's reaction to the discussion of his sexual orientation. She had said prior to the interview that if there was anything he did not want to discuss she would not discuss it, and he did not object in the interview itself. I have not read the passage in his book, but my sense of the way the interview is described on Amazon is that he was somewhat surprised but quite ready to come out. Also, from what I know about her and that show, if he had said, at the time, that he did not want to discuss it, she would not have it. Also, not long afterwards, Burton appeared on a panel with Francis at the Village Vanguard that was about gay jazz musicians. He knew Francis was married to Terry and indicated no discomfort (and of course agreed to appear on the panel). As for her interviewing style, it is completely unfair to accuse her of tending to get too personal. The 'getcha' style of interview is just not Terry.

Edited by AllenLowe

It was funny to hear Terry at such a young age going toe to toe with Buell (who was also much younger then).

And I agree with him in that Cecil's music, at least at that period, wasn't that far out. It's always felt pretty accessible to me... guess you just have to be at the point where you want to access those feelings.

16 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

just talked to Terry (and Francis) and they were both surprised at your interpretation of Burton's reaction to the discussion of his sexual orientation. She had said prior to the interview that if there was anything he did not want to discuss she would not discuss it, and he did not object in the interview itself. I have not read the passage in his book, but my sense of the way the interview is described on Amazon is that he was somewhat surprised but quite ready to come out. Also, from what I know about her and that show, if he had said, at the time, that he did not want to discuss it, she would not have it. Also, not long afterwards, Burton appeared on a panel with Francis at the Village Vanguard that was about gay jazz musicians. He knew Francis was married to Terry and indicated no discomfort (and of course agreed to appear on the panel). As for her interviewing style, it is completely unfair to accuse her of tending to get too personal. The 'getcha' style of interview is just not Terry.

What 'interpretation'? I didn't interpret anything; I just said what Gary Burton said in his book. Did you even read the book?

well, I just read the ENTIRE passage online, and your characterization of it is not only misleading, but destructively so. Yes, he was surprised, but mentions that, just beforehand, she had given him the option to cut it off if he wanted to. He did not, and clearly appears to be RELIEVED that it was finally out in the open. And he in NO WAY feels Terry was out of line in asking him about it. You imply that it was typical of her supposed lack of tact; it was nothing of the sort.

Maybe you need to re-read it.

here it is: https://books.google.com/books?id=AQhrAAAAQBAJ&q=Terry+Gross#v=snippet&q=Terry%20Gross&f=false

Edited by AllenLowe

I've always presumed that Fresh Air was taped.  One of my favorite moments  on the show was when Gross asked Kieth Jarrett about charges that his music betrayed his African American Heritage and he (to my surprise) answered that he was Caucasian.  I admire her for leaving in the exchange. BTW He pointed out that people might have thought he was Black because of his hair. 

4 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

well, I just read the ENTIRE passage online, and your characterization of it is not only misleading, but destructively so. Yes, he was surprised, but mentions that, just beforehand, she had given him the option to cut it off if he wanted to. He did not, and clearly appears to be RELIEVED that it was finally out in the open. And he in NO WAY feels Terry was out of line in asking him about it. You imply that it was typical of her supposed lack of tact; it was nothing of the sort.

Maybe you need to re-read it.

here it is: https://books.google.com/books?id=AQhrAAAAQBAJ&q=Terry+Gross#v=snippet&q=Terry%20Gross&f=false

Well, you have to admit, it shocked the hell out of him! 

I think she could've discussed it beforehand with him, but I do respect her for confusing the heck out of him by all of a sudden telling him she could stop the tape if he wanted her to.She didn't tell him why...

I think she could have been more tactful about it, but Burton was thinking about coming out of the closet sometime, I just don't think from what I read that he was ready to do it on National Public Radio!

Edited by sgcim

• 4 months later...