millionsofrecords.com

Dan Gould

Anyone ever encounter EBReggae on Amazon Marketplace?  I found them to be a fantastic source of Ace Records releases at way below Amazon rates. And they had lots of other blues/R&B labels. Then late last year I started getting crazy email promotions that went from "$50 off $200 order" to, right before the end, $10 for $100. That's one way to liquidate. But it was worthless because by then they'd stopped stocking any of the good stuff.

All that is just to say that www.millionsofrecords.com is Ernie's new venture, and rather than being a music distribution company selling direct to end-users, he's offering out of print CDs at cut-rate prices, usually $1.99 - $3.49 for single disc sets. Mostly Reggae up there but all genres including jazz and blues are represented.

Very reasonable domestic shipping, my first order was 13 CDs and it came to less than $36, and good fast service.

Here's the jazz page:

http://www.millionsofrecords.com/index.php?route=product/search&search_format=CD&search_genre=475

and the blues:

http://www.millionsofrecords.com/index.php?route=product/search&search_format=CD&search_genre=105

There are some definite gems in both and for people who missed things when they were new a nice opportunity to nab them now.

ebreggae was a go-to for me for a few years,  and I got a great package of music at one of the liquidation sales while there were still good titles left.  Definitely legit (in fact the service aspect was fantastic) and therefore his new venture is recommended.

But Daedelus has six items on offer(?) and our guy Ernie has Millions (well, he's working on it but I don't know if his business name will ever be fulfilled or if its a matter of "puffing"). It's a one man operation with more stock to be listed every day.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Their jazz inventory is reminiscent of Daedalus' back in the day. Any connection? Is Daedalus still in business?

Daedalus/salebooks/salemusic seems to still be in business, but on a greatly reduced scale. As noted, jazz down to 6 titles. Classical down to 42, and the book selection is way down from when I used to shop there. Website was inoperative for an extended period recently. Future does not look promising.

The brick and mortar Daedalus store in Columbia, MD closes today for good. The store in Baltimore closed a few years back.

I will miss that place. I would stop by on my way to gigs in Baltimore. You never knew what would be there. Always one copy of out of print Blue Notes, OJCs etc. None of those were ever listed on the website, it was always a surprise when you got there. I must have bought 300-400 CDs from them over the years. A few books as well.

I was told the owner is moving and the website will continue. Maybe they will start listing the good stuff on the website since there will be no store. We shall see.

I tried to find their source but never could. Actually talked to the buyer 2 weeks ago, but no luck.

Bertrand 

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

How is the Sunny Murray?

Is the Oscar Petifford something that came out in another form?

Someone should grab the Strozier.

Those two disc European live things should be of interest to those who missed them (actually I have the Blakey only and hope I don't miss the Basie or Cannon ones but I'm trying to go on a CD diet. About as successful as the other kind.)

1 hour ago, bertrand said:

The brick and mortar Daedalus store in Columbia, MD closes today for good. The store in Baltimore closed a few years back.

I will miss that place. I would stop by on my way to gigs in Baltimore. You never knew what would be there. Always one copy of out of print Blue Notes, OJCs etc. None of those were ever listed on the website, it was always a surprise when you got there. I must have bought 300-400 CDs from them over the years. A few books as well.

I was told the owner is moving and the website will continue. Maybe they will start listing the good stuff on the website since there will be no store. We shall see.

I tried to find their source but never could. Actually talked to the buyer 2 weeks ago, but no luck.

Bertrand 

Thanks for the info on Daedalus. I placed many internet orders with them, but none in the past 2-3 years.

Thanks also for the tip on the Strozier. I ordered that plus 4 others (Thad Jones/Sonny Rollins, Oliver Lake, David Newman, Pettiford). 

Several other titles were interesting, but limited budget so I stopped at a few low-priced ones.

5 hours ago, bertrand said:

The Pettiford is the Vogue sessions, Leonard Feather presents etc. etc. Just recently reissued with the original cover.

Ah, it's from the same period of recording activity that produced The Birdlanders. Got thrown by seeing Jerry Newman listed as engineer.

Between the Vogue and The Periods, does that cover all this particular activity by Renaud?

https://www.discogs.com/Oscar-Pettiford-Sextet-Oscar-Pettiford-Sextet/release/9736134

+

https://www.discogs.com/artist/1756929-The-Birdlanders

is any overlap a duplication, or alternate takes?