Amoeba Music to open Marijuana Dispensary to Remain Viable

BeBop

If you've been to Amoeba Berkeley in the past or so, you've noticed that half of the store's floor has been closed.  (You probably also noticed Rasputin's vinyl business across the street open and close.)  Today's Daily Californian (U.C. Berkeley campus paper) reports that Amoeba is opening "High Fidelity", a marijuana dispensary, as a neighboring business.

http://www.dailycal.org/2018/03/19/amoeba-music-set-open-dispensary-telegraph-avenue-april/

I don't know anything about marijuana, aside from whatever knowledge is inevitable when you grow up on Telegraph Avenue/Sproul Plaza in the late 60s/70s, but I guess it's a compatible business.

I haven't been there since last fall, I guess, but I wondered what was going on with that chunk of the store which used to house the jazz (and other less "popular" musics) section being closed off.  I hope the new addition works out for them.  I wouldn't think there would be a shortage of places meeting the market demand for those products in Berkeley.  (Will they be selling Amoebuds?)  I'd rather they still had room for the larger jazz selection instead of the much smaller one they did the last time I was there.

I'm also sorry to hear that Rasputin vinyl shop closed up.  Last time I was there I picked up some good, cheap albums plus a couple of books.  Did they move the vinyl selection back across the street to their main store?

I was at Amoeba Hollywood last night. Smells of death. Place was empty compared to a few years ago.  CDs were cheaper than ever and they hardly offer anything for trade-ins.  People just don't want atoms anymore when bites are readily available.  

I remember an article from just a few years ago saying that though cds were dying, places like Amoeba which sold them second hand were doing just fine. I think that's no longer true. 

Edited by medjuck

23 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I was at Amoeba Hollywood last night. Smells of death. Place was empty compared to a few years ago.  CDs were cheaper than ever and they hardly offer anything for trade-ins.  People just don't want atoms anymore when bites are readily available.  

I remember an article from just a few years ago saying that though cds were dying, places like Amoeba which sold them second hand were doing just fine. I think that's no longer true. 

I agree, medjuck.

It seems like used CD prices everywhere have fallen precipitously in the last couple years.

As ever, it does depend what you want.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1953-1964-Ella-Johnson-Buddy/dp/B00000ASU7/ref=sr_1_55?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521653621&sr=1-55&keywords=buddy+johnson

I got a copy from Discogs, without box and sleeve notes, just the CDs, in January for £55 which was as much as I would have paid for the music. But there was a complete copy for over a century.

They've gone now; Discogs haven't got any. And £193 is what you'll pay at Amazon UK.

MG

45 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I agree, medjuck.

It seems like used CD prices everywhere have fallen precipitously in the last couple years.

I'm out in the hinterlands so can't speak to trends, but over the past 2-3 years the local (mid-Hudson Valley, NY) shops that deal in used CDs have greatly expanded the book side of their business and significantly shrunk the CD side. [Added] Same shops also sell vinyl, which seems to be faring much better than CDs.

Edited by T.D.

57 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

What a bizarre reversal from 20-25 years ago, where CDs cost a fortune (over here at least) and vinyl was almost given away, in the end. Now you have beaten up and trashed Blue Note vinyl fetching ludicrous sums and superb CD issues heavily discounted. What a weird world..

Hey! That's where we live!

MG

• 2 weeks later...