Otis Reddfing Dock of the Bay "Sessions"

paul secor

http://media.rhino.com/press-release/otis-reddings-dock-bay-sessions-available-may-18-rhino

File this one under - Let's See If We Can Sell This to You Once Again.

"Although the individual tracks have been previously released across a smattering of posthumous albums and compilations, this marks the first time they have been assembled to resemble what this album could possibly have been."
Really? "could have possibly been" - what does that mean? Absolutely nothing to me. 
I see no mention of Steve Cropper, who was very involved in the recording of "Dock of the Bay" and put together the single release after Otis' death. And what possible worthwhile involvement could Roger Armstrong, who I imagine was living in England in late 1967, have with the recordings?  And isn't it possible that Otis Redding might have recorded other material for an album if he hadn't died in that plane crash?

Perhaps I'm cynical, but this reeks to me of the music biz trying to cash in once again.

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

http://media.rhino.com/press-release/otis-reddings-dock-bay-sessions-available-may-18-rhino

File this one under - Let's See If We Can Sell This to You Once Again.

"Although the individual tracks have been previously released across a smattering of posthumous albums and compilations, this marks the first time they have been assembled to resemble what this album could possibly have been."
Really? "could have possibly been" - what does that mean? Absolutely nothing to me. 
I see no mention of Steve Cropper, who was very involved in the recording of "Dock of the Bay" and put together the single release after Otis' death. And what possible worthwhile involvement could Roger Armstrong, who I imagine was living in England in late 1967, have with the recordings?  And isn't it possible that Otis Redding might have recorded other material for an album if he hadn't died in that plane crash?

Perhaps I'm cynical, but this reeks to me of the music biz trying to cash in once again.

Spot on, I believe ....

I'd buy that.

I only have 'Otis Blue' (probably like thousands of others) and could probably go and buy any other of his individual albums but 'Sittin'...' is such a musical peak (irrespective of genre) to my ears I'm intrigued by what else was happening in his musical world at that point. Yes,I may be suckered by the label promotion but sometimes I can live with that

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, danasgoodstuff said:

This is how I feel about Otis:

pretty much the way I feel about my late brother..  record company can do whatever they want - if it brings more people to Otis it's OK.

Thanks D,

This is one of my favorite Otis tracks.   Just Otis and guitar and yet you don't need anything else.  Magnificent!!!

12 minutes ago, skeith said:

This is one of my favorite Otis tracks.   Just Otis and guitar and yet you don't need anything else.  Magnificent!!!

Otis Redding at the crossover and probably a hint where the journey was supposed to go if not having been halted by the airplane crash .....

On 3/29/2018 at 6:57 AM, skeith said:

Thanks D,

I was starting to think I'd killed this thread by going too personal!  Otis is someone I', pretty completist about so the box recommend above makes sense to me but does it have the nonalbum B-sides?

29 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

I was starting to think I'd killed this thread by going too personal!  Otis is someone I', pretty completist about so the box recommend above makes sense to me but does it have the nonalbum B-sides?

It doesn't, but are you sure they weren't on the albums put out after he passed, which pretty much scraped the bottom of the barrell?  And there is always this for loose ends:

Image result for otis! definitive

All three of those are on the second box set I noted ('Otis!' from 1993, as well as three early cuts, "She's All Right", "Gettin' Hip", and "Shout 'Bamalama".  So between that and the first set with the albums, I think you basically would have it all.  Contact me if you can't find a price you like on the 'Otis!' box set, as I am willing to move mine now that I  have the set with the 12 albums.  If you just want the three B-sides and aren't worried about the early cuts, they are on the "King of Soul" box set, which is much less expensive.