Billy Higgins

Milestones

I've been digging into Billy Higgins' music quite deeply of late.  I noted him as one of the most distinguished of Blue Note sideman, with immense contributions to albums by Morgan, Mobley, Gordon, McLean, and countless others.  He was the drummer on Rejoicing, which may be Metheny's best record.  The man had important partnerships with Ornette, Charles Lloyd, Cedar Walton, Clifford Jordan, Charlie Haden, and more.

I know he did very little as a strict leader, but I just listened to the title track of Soweto and it sounded quite fine.

Offer your praise.  I'm pretty sure we all love Billy Higgins.

Yes, one of the greats. His way of swinging seemed so effortless while having an equal amount of heft. For whatever reason I couldn't get that into his leader dates but I feel like that was partly due to the sidemen. 

I was at Cooper-Moore's apartment the day the news about Billy's death broke. It was a heavy day. I remember it well.

A prior thread on Higgins can be found here.

There's a great anecdote about Hig and Ben Webster, via Larry Kart, here.

Probably my favorite description of Higgins's style is in his NYT obituaryHis style did not draw attention to itself and could not be described by mannerisms; his musicianship simply raised the standard of every band he played in.

Here's a great assessment of Hig by Mike Zwerin, also from the Times.

Higgins simply made every date sound better.  I saw him at the Jazz Standard in NYC a little before his passing.  I was surprised by the gig, especially leading a band, because I knew he had been ill.  The all-star band included Curtis Fuller, John Ore, James Spaulding, and Don Sickler; don't remember who was on piano.  They sounded great, did a bunch of BN tunes (probably transcribed by Sickler).  At the end, Hig introduced each band member by which subway stop they were located near; pretty funny!

Someone should contact Sickler as to whether the gigs were recorded.

Higgins is one of my all time favorites. There are two tracks that really made me take notice of and appreciate his skills, Morgan's "The Gigolo" and Mobley's "The Morning After". Seeing him listed as a sideman always confirmed to me there was no way the drum playing was going to suck.

Great style, power and grace.

One of my all time favourites.

Maybe the first listening experience besides the classic Ornette Coleman stuff was his playing with Sonny Rollins, Don Cherry, Henry Grimes in 1963 in Europe. Wonderful drummer.

And I saw and heard him life at least two times.

One time it was with George Coleman Quartet,  with Hilton Ruiz, Ray Drummond and Billy Higgins.

But the most powerful thing I heard, and I tell you one thing, it was one of the very very best concerts I ever was blessed to witness, it was an all star band led by Jackie McLean, with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. I remember it as if it would have been yesterday: The first tune was a very extended version of "Blue ´n Boogie" with everybody soloing, and after a very interesting somehow very percussive bass solo from Mr. Lewis Billy Higgins started his solo with a powerwork starting on the snare I never heard something as sharp and hip and powerful as this solo. A second huge solo spot for Higgins was on Salt Peanuts.......,

25 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

But the most powerful thing I heard, and I tell you one thing, it was one of the very very best concerts I ever was blessed to witness, it was an all star band led by Jackie McLean, with Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Lewis and Billy Higgins. I remember it as if it would have been yesterday: The first tune was a very extended version of "Blue ´n Boogie" with everybody soloing, and after a very interesting somehow very percussive bass solo from Mr. Lewis Billy Higgins started his solo with a powerwork starting on the snare I never heard something as sharp and hip and powerful as this solo. A second huge solo spot for Higgins was on Salt Peanuts.......,

One of the best concerts I ever saw included Jackie McLean fronting his quartet with Cedar Walton, David Williams & Billy Higgins. Like you, I'll remember that one for the rest of my life. It was special.

A very wonderful drummer. I first heard him on record with the Sonny Rollins band (w. Don Cherry), one of the first jazz records I bought.
The only time I caught him live he was sitting in the café at Bloomingdales in Manhattan listening to a Jane Ira Bloom quartet with Billy Hart on drums. Mr. Higgins was smiling.

Good memories of seeing ‘Eastern Rebellion’ and other Walton groups of later vintage with Billy Higgins too but my favourite appearance was when he was with the late 70s George Coleman Quartet - the one with Herbie Lewis and Hilton Ruiz. Those were the days !

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Mr. Higgins was smiling.

Never saw him when he wasn’t smiling. Used to light up the stage !

Let's not forget his community work with The World Stage in Los Angeles.  What does it say about the country that a man who gave so much (and appeared on so many records)  needed financial help when he became sick near the end of his life?  Charles Lloyd and his wife took care of him and organized a fund to help him out.  The first time I saw Charles perform in Santa Barbara he dedicated his concert to Billy Higgins. 

16 hours ago, medjuck said:

Let's not forget his community work with The World Stage in Los Angeles.  What does it say about the country that a man who gave so much (and appeared on so many records)  needed financial help when he became sick near the end of his life?  Charles Lloyd and his wife took care of him and organized a fund to help him out.  The first time I saw Charles perform in Santa Barbara he dedicated his concert to Billy Higgins. 

Yeah, that was sad that they had to do all those fundraisers to help Billy get his liver transplant. I sent in what I could and Billy himself sent me a thank you via postcard. I still have it somewhere.

Certainly one of my favorites as well. First album that came to mind, strangely, is his sole (I think?) collaboration with Andrew Hill, Dance With Death, where he's the key player for me, making light out of Hill's darker leanings. And you gotta love his picture in the booklet, where he manages to rock a turtleneck, a leather jacket and a funky hat:  

df6329fcbcab3615b455bd89ab8b4a94--franci

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Yeah, that was sad that they had to do all those fundraisers to help Billy get his liver transplant. I sent in what I could and Billy himself sent me a thank you via postcard. I still have it somewhere.

I have one too.