Don Patterson

Late

Here's a Don Patterson challenge:

Selecting just from his Prestige-led sessions, how would you order a playlist to fit on one compact disc? I'm in the midst of the challenge myself, aiming for a focus on mid-tempo grooves instead of burners. So far, I have:

1. Music To Think By (Mellow Soul)

2. There Will Never Be Another You (from the Soul Happening! session)

3. Wade In the Water (Soul Happening!)

4. Head (Mellow Soul)

5. Funk In 3/4 (Funk You!)

6. Donny Brook (Donny Brook)

7. Brothers-4 (Brothers-4)

8. Goin' To Meetin' (Satisfaction)

Suggestions welcome for how to complete the playlist! I didn't let myself use Sonny Stitt-led sessions; otherwise I would have included "Soul People."

And of course list your favorite Prestige Patterson records here! (Nothing wrong with the Muse dates of course.)

Mellow_Soul.jpg

Never tried this. I don't think I'd choose more than a handful of your selections though. Will give my mind to it after I've taken the dog out for his walk in the rain and hope he has a crap quickly and don't drag me down to the bottom field :(

MG

PS Just had a quick look at them all. HELLISHLY difficult!

I did this a few years ago with Jimmy Smith and made a nice CD I still enjoy hearing occasionally called 'Easy greasy grooves'.

1 Plum Nellie

2 All day long

3 Hollerin' and screamin'

4 Since I fell for you (alt)

5 I'm just a lucky so and so

6 Midnight special

7 Back at the Chicken Shack

8 I've found a new baby

9 Hotel happiness

10 Bucket

11 When my dreamboat comes home

It's nice, though I say so myself.

MG

Well, I've got 14, pulled from my hard drive in alphabetical order of album titles, and totalling 79:29

Island fantasy (Boppin' & burnin')

Creepin' home (Bros 4)

Sandu (4 dimensions)

My man String (Funk you)

Funk in 3/4 (ditto)

Donald Duck (Hip cakewalk)

Santa Claus is coming to town (Holiday soul)

Merry Christmas baby (ditto)

Head (Mellow soul)

Good time theme (Oh happy day)

Please don't talk about me when I'm gone (Patterson's people)

Goin to meetin' (Satisfaction)

Walkin' (ditto)

Wade in the water (Soul happenin')

Listening tonight and over breakfast tomorrow.

MG

I once saw Patterson simulate cunnilingus on the organ (i.e. play the Hammond B-3 organ with his tongue as though the keyboard were ...  you got it -- this replete with appropriate gestures and perhaps sounds too -- that I don't recall). Was this, I wonder, a normal part of his routine, or did I catch him when he was inspired? BTW, it was at a private party.

P.S. Rest of the band was Von Freeman, guitarist Sam Thomas, and Wilbur Campbell. It was a party for a middle-aged couple who were celebrating a wedding anniversary.

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I once saw Patterson simulate cunnilingus on the organ (i.e. play the Hammond B-3 organ with his tongue as though the keyboard were ...  you got it -- this replete with appropriate gestures and perhaps sounds too -- that I don't recall). Was this, I wonder, a normal part of his routine, or did I catch him when he was inspired? BTW, it was at a private party.

P.S. Rest of the band was Von Freeman, guitarist Sam Thomas, and Wilbur Campbell. It was a party for a middle-aged couple who were celebrating a wedding anniversary.

Damn me! GREASE!!!!!!

When was that, Larry?

MG

Hell! I've hit a wrong key somehow and the board has gone small; I can only just read the print. There are two inch and a half wide grey stripes on either side and the left one has a little arrow saying, when you hover on it, "block manager".

How the FUCK do I get out of THIS?????

MG

Well, having listened to my selection, It doesn't feel greasy enough. Nice tempo. I added in at the end:

Hip trip (Oh happy day)

Sentimental journey (Patterson's people)

I had them in on my first pass but cut them because, between them, they're almost 25 minutes. 

For really greasy Don Patterson, you have to go to the Muse period and have 'The world of Suzie Wong', "Why not', "These are soulful days' and Muse blues' - plus, of course, 'Hip cakewalk'.

MG

Panic's over chaps.  I'd hit a zoom button up the top somewhere. I can't see a zoom button now, but when I saw it and set it to 100% just now, i got a normal print. But I've still got this little arrow on the left pointing to a block manager. Is this part of the normal Organissimo screen? I've never seen it before.

MG

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

Sadly true of much of Patterson's discography. :( 

My fave Patterson LP These Are Soulful Days has never been reissued either.  

There was a CD on 32Jazz 32092, "Steady Comin' At Ya", that was a complete reissue of that Muse LP with three bonus tracks from his next two Muse LPs. Can't find it on discogs; used copies on amazon are expensive.

21G%2BUbH0l%2BL.jpg

58 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Amazon Marketplace currently has a used copy for $3.60 + shipping.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

There was a CD on 32Jazz 32092, "Steady Comin' At Ya", that was a complete reissue of that Muse LP with three bonus tracks from his next two Muse LPs. Can't find it on discogs; used copies on amazon are expensive.

21G%2BUbH0l%2BL.jpg

Thanks gents. I'd assumed that was a compilation. My mistake. :P