I'd buy this

danasgoodstuff

2 hours ago, Brad said:

HG, I just re-read my post. Hope it didn’t come across as confrontational.  Maybe I should have said that I don’t want to hear something if it’s not good quality as I don’t want my view of an artist like Lee Morgsn lowered as a result. 

Brad, not at all. You're fine. I guess I'm asking for it, hoping that there's another Lee or Hank or a Jackie hidden date somewhere. The Conny series gave this kind of hope that there's more and what a great unheard series that was,I guess I got more hopeful, hoping there was more, and occasionally there is.

Well, there is this, which I've never heard:

Jackie McLean Sextet

Woody Shaw, trumpet; Jackie McLean, alto sax; Tyrone Washington, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Scott Holt, bass; Norman Connors, drums.

Plaza Sound Studios, NYC, July 5, 1968
3054 In Case You Haven't Heard Blue Note rejected
3055 Hymn To Rap -
3056 One For Jeru -
3057 Kupenda -
3058 Abrasion -

6 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Jackie McLean Sextet

Woody Shaw, trumpet; Jackie McLean, alto sax; Tyrone Washington, tenor sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Scott Holt, bass; Norman Connors, drums.

3055 Hymn To Rap -
3056 One For Jeru -
3057 Kupenda -
3058 Abrasion -

WANTA HEAR.

On 3/25/2018 at 5:57 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

Infinity is my very favorite Lee/Jackie pairing on record (of many).

Heck, Etcetera may be my very favorite Wayne leader date, in terms of the playing and personnel, and it sat in the vaults almost 10 years too.

Yeah, in both cases; what great Lee and Wayne came our way.

Reuben Wilson Quartet

Trevor Lawrence, tenor sax; Reuben Wilson, organ; Eric Gale, guitar; Tommy Derrick, drums.

Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, August 16, 1968
3080 Knock On Wood Blue Note unissued
3081 Tom's Thumb -
3082 Ronnie's Bonnie -
3083 Baby I Love You -
3084 Robbin', Mashin' And Sqeezin' -

Here's one that's 'unissued' rather than 'rejected', from the same day as Tyronne Washington's Train Wreck.  Reuben has another issued session from later, this was before the first one of his to be issued on BN.  I don't think there's any more Lee than what I posted, nor Hank, but there are a few other interesting things awaiting first issue or first official domestic reissue.

Did anyone here  pick up the Japanese reissue of Lou d's Here 'Tis that had one new track on it?

Edited by danasgoodstuff

33 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Jackie McLean Sextet

3055 Hymn To Rap -
3056 One For Jeru -
3057 Kupenda -
3058 Abrasion -

yeah, i drool at that one until i get to the end and see Norman Connors and that it's 1968...I'd like to hear it, but don't know that I'd pay to do so.

Oh, I don't think Rajah is dull at all, although it's the Cal Massey tune that's the highlight more than the title tune.  The Geo. Coleman/Julian Preister Lee Morgan date, yeah OK that's kinda lackluster BUT it's still release quality to me.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

yeah, i drool at that one until i get to the end and see Norman Connors and that it's 1968...I'd like to hear it, but don't know that I'd pay to do so.

When Alfred was still running things they'd have switched drummers and come back next week - happened more than once.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Isn't that the session where someone said it was because of Connors' drum playing that it will never get released?

EDIT:  Here's where we talked about it before -

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Yeah, I liked Norman Connors with Pharoah & Sam Rivers, loved his first few solo records and appreciated why he went into that different direction with "You Are My Starship". But 1968, in that company? I have no problem believing that he was just not ready for that then.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I liked Norman Connors with Pharoah & Sam Rivers, loved his first few solo records and appreciated why he went into that different direction with "You Are My Starship". But 1968, in that company? I have no problem believing that he was just not ready for that then.

I have no doubt that Connors was the issue. However, I really want to hear what Jackie sounds like playing over "In Case You Haven't Heard." 

I wanna hear anything Tyrone is on, and Woody too (in that kind of context), for that matter.  Woody on that one insane Andrew Hill date from 31-Oct-1967 (the beginning of disc #3 of the Hill BN select), is about as heavy as it gets.

I traded emails with Michael C. years ago, and he claimed the tapes were "lost" of that McLean date (w/ Tyrone) -- but I've read elsewhere that the session was a mess (but I've never heard any firsthand reports of that, other than what various people have said Michael C. has said about it over the years).

Whether the tapes really are lost, or not - I have no idea.

11 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I wanna hear anything Tyrone is on, and Woody too (in that kind of context), for that matter.  Woody on that one insane Andrew Hill date from 31-Oct-1967 (the beginning of disc #3 of the Hill BN select), is about as heavy as it gets.

I traded emails with Michael C. years ago, and he claimed the tapes were "lost" of that McLean date (w/ Tyrone) -- but I've read elsewhere that the session was a mess (but I've never heard any firsthand reports of that, other than what various people have said Michael C. has said about it over the years).

Whether the tapes really are lost, or not - I have no idea.

Yeah I still drool over this session.

7 hours ago, Holy Ghost said:

Yeah I still drool over this session.

I hear ya, but I think there is a big difference between a session being "unreleased" and it being "rejected".   And I have heard drummers absolutely ruin sessions.  If you go into the Blue Note Discography,  you will see many sessions that were "rejected", then redone a few days/weeks later with the same personnel except a different drummer.

Edited by felser

6 hours ago, felser said:

I hear ya, but I think there is a big difference between a session being "unreleased" and it being "rejected".   And I have heard drummers absolutely ruin sessions.  If you go into the Blue Note Discography,  you will see many sessions that were "rejected", then redone a few days/weeks later with the same personnel except a different drummer.

Fair enough, and I did read somewhere that Jackie said Norman Connors didn't work out, and probably should remain in the can for that reason, especially if he said so himself. Still can't get past the idea though of still wanting to hear it, warts and all.

6 hours ago, felser said: