GRANT GREEN TRIO

Claude Schlouch

I know this came up before but of course the search system isn't very helpful.

The opening post in this thread does include Canteloupe Woman as a track by Grant Green at the 1966 Newport Jazz Festival

And what is interesting about the Giganti del Jazz and Europa Jazz releases is that they give different credits:

this one, which I found years ago,

https://www.discogs.com/Grant-Green-Kenny-Burrell-Billy-Taylor-Attila-Zoller-I-Giganti-Del-Jazz-Vol-55/release/10871169

Has Attila Zoller on Darn That Dream, and KB on an untitled blues.

But this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Kenny-Burrell-Billy-Taylor-Grant-Green-Los-Grandes-Del-Jazz-55/master/848134

Has Grant on Darn that Dream, and no KB, only Zoller on the rest of the sides.

Been forever since I heard the Giganti tracks but I am going to pull them out now.

I thought I'd look back to see what I'd got on this album. Not a lot, actually. I've got two copies of a Grand Green discography by Atushi acchan Ueda, which isn't on the web any more, but wasn't any help, as it's not included :)

And it wasn't included in the Jazz Discography Project, either.

So, I found a little note, that MIGHT come from JDProj, as follows:

"Date: July 4, 1966
Label: (radio broadcast) 
ldr - Attila Zoller; g - Attila Zoller; p - Don Friedman; b - Gene Taylor; d - 
Connie Kay
      a.Straight No Chaser  (Thelonious Monk) 
           I Giganti Del Jazz LP 12": GJ-55

Some sources state that this title was also issued on Europa Jazz EJ55. This is 
possible as "Europa" and "I Giganti" are produced by the same company. This 
title shown by Bruyninckx to be from 1961 and issued on "I Grandi del Jazz (It) 
GdJ55" however that issue is for a Bud Freeman recording."

Well, fine. but The GG tracks can't be from 1961 as it says on the sleeve. I'm damn certain that "Canteloupe woman" couldn't have existed before 'Watermelon man'. So I'll stick with 1966.

And in any case, though I haven't played it for years and years, I'm certain that 'Blue in Green' is played to the tune of 'Canteloupe woman' and 'Canteloupe woman' isn't :).

So there, sum total of my knowledge. One day, I'll get around to ripping this to my CD, but it's bottom priority below about a thousand others.

MG

13 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I thought I'd look back to see what I'd got on this album. Not a lot, actually. I've got two copies of a Grand Green discography by Atushi acchan Ueda, which isn't on the web any more, but wasn't any help, as it's not included :)

And it wasn't included in the Jazz Discography Project, either.

So, I found a little note, that MIGHT come from JDProj, as follows:

"Date: July 4, 1966
Label: (radio broadcast) 
ldr - Attila Zoller; g - Attila Zoller; p - Don Friedman; b - Gene Taylor; d - 
Connie Kay
      a.Straight No Chaser  (Thelonious Monk) 
           I Giganti Del Jazz LP 12": GJ-55

Some sources state that this title was also issued on Europa Jazz EJ55. This is 
possible as "Europa" and "I Giganti" are produced by the same company. This 
title shown by Bruyninckx to be from 1961 and issued on "I Grandi del Jazz (It) 
GdJ55" however that issue is for a Bud Freeman recording."

Well, fine. but The GG tracks can't be from 1961 as it says on the sleeve. I'm damn certain that "Canteloupe woman" couldn't have existed before 'Watermelon man'. So I'll stick with 1966.

And in any case, though I haven't played it for years and years, I'm certain that 'Blue in Green' is played to the tune of 'Canteloupe woman' and 'Canteloupe woman' isn't :).

So there, sum total of my knowledge. One day, I'll get around to ripping this to my CD, but it's bottom priority below about a thousand others.

MG

You can find the Atushi acchan Ueda Grant Green discography at

Grant Green : a discography - FC2

audiscography.web.fc2.com/gg.htm

4 hours ago, robertoart said:

Yeah there's just one Grant Green selection on the Italian boots which is Canteloupe Woman although its listed as Blues In Green or something.

1966 Newport.

You're right!

Thanks all readers for your kind contribution. I think that things are clear now:

Grant Green (g), Billy Taylor (p), Gene Taylor (b), Billy Kaye (dm)

Newport Jazz Festival, Freebody Park, Newport, RI, Sunday evening, July 4, 1966

Cantaloupe woman                                              5:56                                                          I Giganti Del Jazz (It) GJ-55

Note: Above title also on Denon (Jap) CDC-8531 “The Best of the Jazz Guitars”, Essential Jazz Classics (EU) EJC 55636 “Grant Green-Gooden’s Corner”, Los Grandes Del Jazz (Sp) GJ-55 “Kenny Burrell, Billy Taylor, Grant Green”.

Mistitled “Blues In Green” on all sources…

The above title was part of a guitar concert that also featured Kenny Burrell, George Benson, Charlie Byrd and Attila Zoller.

All above sources mention another title “Canteloupe Woman” (sic) mistakenly awarded to Grant Green…

6 hours ago, Claude Schlouch said:

You can find the Atushi acchan Ueda Grant Green discography at

Grant Green : a discography - FC2

audiscography.web.fc2.com/gg.htm

Thanks for this. I searched for his name but couldn't find it. New version now saved.

I see he's got the Oil Can Harry's album in already, but not 'Funk in France'. Are we catching it in mid-edit?

MG

1 hour ago, Claude Schlouch said:

You're right!

Thanks all readers for your kind contribution. I think that things are clear now:

Grant Green (g), Billy Taylor (p), Gene Taylor (b), Billy Kaye (dm)

Newport Jazz Festival, Freebody Park, Newport, RI, Sunday evening, July 4, 1966

Cantaloupe woman                                              5:56                                                          I Giganti Del Jazz (It) GJ-55

Note: Above title also on Denon (Jap) CDC-8531 “The Best of the Jazz Guitars”, Essential Jazz Classics (EU) EJC 55636 “Grant Green-Gooden’s Corner”, Los Grandes Del Jazz (Sp) GJ-55 “Kenny Burrell, Billy Taylor, Grant Green”.

Mistitled “Blues In Green” on all sources…

The above title was part of a guitar concert that also featured Kenny Burrell, George Benson, Charlie Byrd and Attila Zoller.

All above sources mention another title “Canteloupe Woman” (sic) mistakenly awarded to Grant Green…

Damn me, Claude! Now you've got me confused. You're making me rip these tracks to see which is which and by whom.

Back soon.

MG

Well, I've ripped the tracks now. One problem, on the second track, my LP seems to have developed a fault in the seven years since I played it last and after six minutes and keeps repeating. Well I stopped it and can't be asked to try and locate the fault and give it a going over with an oily cloth.

However I'm going to attach them both.

Track 1 on the LP is Grant Green, playing a blues figure that turns into something like 'Cantaloupe woman' then IS 'Cantaloupe woman' at the end.

Track 2 sounds like something GG MIGHT have played if he were feeling in a hard bop mood and not really feeling himself. It's not Kenny Burrell, so maybe it's actually Atilla Zoller. I wouldn't know an Atilla Zoller if it bit me on the bum, so can anyone identify it?

Oh, it's too big to upload. I'll send the rip of the 2 tracks to any volunteer.

MG

9 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Well, I've ripped the tracks now. One problem, on the second track, my LP seems to have developed a fault in the seven years since I played it last and after six minutes and keeps repeating. Well I stopped it and can't be asked to try and locate the fault and give it a going over with an oily cloth.

Track 1 on the LP is Grant Green, playing a blues figure that turns into something like 'Cantaloupe woman' then IS 'Cantaloupe woman' at the end.

Track 2 sounds like something GG MIGHT have played if he were feeling in a hard bop mood and not really feeling himself. It's not Kenny Burrell, so maybe it's actually Atilla Zoller. I wouldn't know an Atilla Zoller if it bit me on the bum, so can anyone identify it?

MG

Please send me your email address by PM, and you will receive a surprise

1 hour ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Yes, in Japan, some days before the rest of the word:

Deluxe 2CD, Single CD & digital editions available on May 25, 2018

Deluxe limited edition (180-gram) 3LP & 2LP gatefold sets released exclusively for Record Store Day on April 21, 2018

It's worth a little patience...

Oh that's fine; when I read your post I thought there weren't going to be any other editions but the Japanese one.

MG

On 24.3.2018 at 6:32 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

MG

the material is from the 1966 newport guitar workshop. GG plays cantaloupe woman, zoller plays straight no chaser and darn that dream, and burrell plays an untitled blues.

hth

On 24.3.2018 at 6:32 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

the track is cantaloupe woman, but played as a 12-bar blues instead of the original 16-bar blues form. the only thing they add at the end is the chromatic fall to the VI chord. but they still leave out 4 bars of the original tune.

9 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Except there are 5 tracks on the LP, not four.

MG

Definitely Grant Green is only on one track. I remember getting the vinyl about ten years ago and putting it on the turntable anticipating the second GG track and as soon as it started, I realised it was probably another Attila Zoller track. So on the various Italian boots and the concert film we have 3 Attila Zoller tracks, 1 Grant Green, 1 Kenny Burrell, 2 George Benson - Ready and Able and Benson's Rider, and the Charlie Byrd - Michelle. According to the 66 Billboard review we know GG played' a series of impressive Blues performances', Kenny Burrell also did a version of Greensleeves among other 'well executed turns' :D and George Benson also did Flamingo. 

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=SxIEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=grant+green+newport+1966&source=bl&ots=wpsXZ3o_rn&sig=H_HNBSBzE926j7OEfsY8nByeBPY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiylYfAqo7aAhWDUrwKHbmRDFg4ChDoAQg9MAU#v=onepage&q=grant green newport 1966&f=false